WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Wines of the Month - November 2012
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wines of the Month - November 2012
 Login/Join 
posted
Champagne
NV Bollinger, Champagne, Cuvee Speciale

Red
1998 Chapoutier, Hermitage, Monier de la Sizeranne
2004 Guigal, La Turque

Posts: 15426 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2003 Rene Rostaing, Cote-Rotie, La Landonne

Posts: 10019 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1971 DRC Romanee Conti
1995 DRC Montrachet

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Apr 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Canada:
1971 DRC Romanee Conti
1995 DRC Montrachet
It will be hard for anyone to beat these. I know I certainly can't.

Posts: 916 | Location: Olive Branch, Mississippi | Registered: Nov 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by max:
quote:
1971 DRC Romanee Conti
1995 DRC Montrachet

Ditto.

Posts: 1818 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2005 Eagle Vale Chardonnay Reserve

2004 Kiona Sangiovese Reserve

Posts: 8671 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to one great dinner (rest of month was slow):

Red: 2002 Dominus, 1997 Chateau Montelena Cabernet Sauvignon Estate

White: 2007 Chapoutier St-Joseph Blanc "Les Granits"

Posts: 2487 | Location: L.A. | Registered: Mar 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by max:
quote:
1971 DRC Romanee Conti
1995 DRC Montrachet

max - While Dave Canada certainly opened some phenominal wines this month, this is not a contest. It's for everyone to share what their, personal, favorites were for the month past. They don't need to be the 'best' wines either. One's picks of the month could be for several reasons (the occasion, who they were shared with, an especially good showing of a particular wine beyond the norm, etc).

Wink

Posts: 15426 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slow month:

Jacques Selosse Bdb NV

1999 La Poderina BdM

No whites or sweet wines of note.

PH

Posts: 15012 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
1999 La Poderina BdM

Interestingly, when I replaced my cooling unit in my VK500, I discovered that I had 2 of these buried away. Another gem.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5653 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Champagne
NV Bollinger, Champagne, Cuvee Speciale

Red
1998 Chapoutier, Hermitage, Monier de la Sizeranne
2004 Guigal, La Turque
2010 George Noellat Échézeaux

Sweet
2001 Guiraud

Posts: 989 | Location: Montreal, Qc | Registered: Dec 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
1999 La Poderina BdM

Interestingly, when I replaced my cooling unit in my VK500, I discovered that I had 2 of these buried away. Another gem.

It's drinking very well right now Dok. I gave mine an hour of slow-ox and it was singing.

PH

Posts: 15012 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to hear on the NV Bollinger- picked up several of these recently for the holidays. Oddly the bottles from Costco are one shape, and the bottles from Binny's are another.

Perhaps they are two different NV bottles, but I bought them over the span of just a few days...??

Posts: 854 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EB Wine:
Good to hear on the NV Bollinger- picked up several of these recently for the holidays. Oddly the bottles from Costco are one shape, and the bottles from Binny's are another.

Perhaps they are two different NV bottles, but I bought them over the span of just a few days...??

If the bottles are different, it's likely that they are different disgorgements, EB. The ones that the Montreal crew and many others have been enjoying so much appear to be from the most recent release, and are showing (to my taste) above and beyond what my past bottles of Bolly NV have given. And the previous bottles were pretty good.

PH

posted Hide Post
Red
2006 Alban Syrah Reva
2006 Clos des Papes CdP
1999 G. Mascarello Barolo Monprivato
2005 DuMOL Pinot Noir RRV

White
2010 Sine Qua Non White The Monkey
2007 Pichler Riesling Smaragd Loibner Berg

Sparkling
2002 H. Billiot Brut
2002 Lenoble BdB Chouilly

Stickie
1999 Delesvaux, SGN Coteau du Layon

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Posts: 3948 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: Jan 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
If the bottles are different, it's likely that they are different disgorgements, EB. The ones that the Montreal crew and many others have been enjoying so much appear to be from the most recent release, and are showing (to my taste) above and beyond what my past bottles of Bolly NV have given. And the previous bottles were pretty good.PH

I have a feeling our wine monopoly just got in another shipment recently because there were not many left around and suddenly they're everywhere. Don't know if they are a different disgorgement. I hope not because I picked up a case last week and I really liked the last one. Didn't notice if the bottles were a different shape.

Posts: 10019 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Slow month:

PH

Well, we'll fix that situation pronto, my friend Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
I have a feeling our wine monopoly just got in another shipment recently because there were not many left around and suddenly they're everywhere. Don't know if they are a different disgorgement. I hope not because I picked up a case last week and I really liked the last one. Didn't notice if the bottles were a different shape.

steve8, I'm thinking that there was just another release from the SAQ's very vast warehouse/distribution ctr on the east side of town. Several city blocks square, this building's capacity size is nothing short of immense.

posted Hide Post
quote:
...I picked up a case last week....

Cool Well done!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:

steve8, I'm thinking that there was just another release from the SAQ's very vast warehouse/distribution ctr on the east side of town. Several city blocks square, this building's capacity size is nothing short of immense.

That is very possible.

I was checking out Bollinger's website to see if they identify different disgorgements, but found nothing. There is a lot # on the case, L1219222, fwiw. Maybe the Julian calender date 192 of 2012?

Sorry for the threadjack.

posted Hide Post
1999 Chateau Pavie
2007 Rhys Pinot Noir Alpine Vineyard
1998 Domaine Pontifical Châteauneuf-du-Pape
2010 Domaine Terlato & Chapoutier Shiraz Lieu dit Malakoff

http://thewinenerds.ca/

Posts: 688 | Location: Toronto, Ontario (Etobicoke) | Registered: Oct 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Canuck:
2010 Domaine Terlato & Chapoutier Shiraz Lieu dit Malakoff

Care to comment?

Posts: 581 | Location: Prescott, Ontario | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a lot of great wines this month, but the best were:

Whites:
2005 Jermann Vintage Tunina
2010 Elena Walch Beyond the Clouds

Reds:
1992 Carbonaione
1996 Elio Altare Vigneto Arborina
1999 Castello dei Rampolla d'Alceo
2002 Turriga (the 2005 was great but not quite as good as the 02)
2006 Pian dell'Orino
2008 & 2009 Ornellaia

Dessert
2001 Feiler-Artinger Ruster Ausbruch Pinot Cuvée
2009 Aldobrandesca Aleatico Sovana

Posts: 5087 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Champagne

Pierre Moncuit NV BdB

Whites

2008 Dauvissat Les Forest
2009 Coche Dury BB
2005 Potel Corton-Charlemagne

Reds

1995 Poggio al Vento BdM
1990 Aldo Conterno Vigna Cicala
2006 Querce Bettina Riserva BdM
2004 Poggio al Vento BdM
1959 Pichon Baron
1970 Latour
1982 Leoville Poyferre

Posts: 2171 | Location: Virginia | Registered: Aug 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
November was a tasty month for reds....

1990 Beaucastel CDP
1989 LLC
1990 Ornellaia
1989 Leoville Barton
2001 Clos Mogador

Posts: 1594 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post