WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    WOTY 2012 is a Zinfandel !
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WOTY 2012 is a Zinfandel !
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danyull:
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Canada:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
I am pretty sure I drink better than you do....my upcoming weekend includes, among others, ex-chateau mags of 1899 Lafite, 1900 Latour and 1971 DRC RC.....

1. I don;t believe you.

2. If there's any truth to that, who is supplying the wine?

3. If that is a 1971 Romanee-Conti, I'd love your opinion to go along with mine of the 1934, 1962, 1964, 1966, 1971, 1972, and 1976 Romanee-Contis I've enjoyed, most of them more than once. I've posted about these previously, so they're not fabricated, as is your wont. By the way, most of the others are better than the 1971. The 1972 was far better.

I believe that when one says ex-chateau......it means the winery supplied it Wink
I could care less if you believe me. you opinion is of 0 value. the only reason i am confronting you is that i am tired of hearing your garbage.
I can also send you notes from last year on an 1811 Yquem and 1811 Lafite if you somehow give me your email...i have photos of all the bottles to share as well.
I have nothing to hide, I am just not as eager to (or insecure enough) to brag about all the old bottles I have had the fortune of having in a public space.
Let me know if you want to take this discussion offline and I am happy to share any notes and photos with you. Otherwise, I have no more time for this pissing contest.

Wow I didn't know dry wines could go for 200 years! Pics/notes please!!! Big Grin

I just sent g-man a test email....put your email here and I can include you as well, no prob

Posts: 1137 | Registered: Apr 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is pathetic. LOL

Posts: 8728 | Location: North CA | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hippomon, I don't subscribe to WS so imagine my confusion when I saw the thread about the WOTY Shafer syrah available at cost. Wink

Posts: 8728 | Location: North CA | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool share the love.

danhkim at gmail dot com

Posts: 1674 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:|

Haha. I’m from the hood so I don’t know if I’ll ever crossover into a full yuppie, but I’ll take jetsetter!! I think the content from a producer profile, vintage profile and travel/lifestyle perspective is still really strong and especially so this year. I do not read the tasting notes though. I do think Molesworth and Sanderson are very good tasters and often agree with their assessment of a wine, but I just don’t buy based on critics notes anymore so I skip over those sections.

I am surprised though at Dave Canada and others saying that their role as wine critics is over? I would still consider it better than the WA due to the blind tasting and again I think Molesworth and Sanderson are very solid. I don’t have foundation to make much of an opinion on Laube and Steiman as I just don’t drink or like the same style of wines as they do. The top 100 is supposed to generate buzz and conversation about the year of wine and obviously sell magazines! I don’t see how that is related to not being able to take their critics serious? I think it’s a crappy choice for #1 as well based on my own tastes in wine, but guess who thinks it’s a great choice? The thousands of people that love Shafer wines!

A lot to reply to there, Glenn.

First, I think both WS and Cigar Aficionado are excellent products, and clearly both Thomas Matthews and Marvin Shanken have their finger on the pulse of their marketplace.

I'm very confident that the vast majority of true wine enthusiast are also very interested in travel, food, other adult beverages, hotel/lodging choices along to many other nuances in their lifestyle. I find the WS and CA a great resource. D and I think nothing a flying/driving to a city just to try a restaurant we read a review of, then returning home the next day.

I agree that Molesworth is an excellent critic, but think the role of the critic has changed and is ever changing in the digital world. There was a time ( pre-internet) that single voices could completely drive a market. I think of people like Clement Greenberg ( modern art) and Robert Parker (American wine market) that had clear and powerful influence. Prior to the internet, both possessed specific information in their field that was not easy for the average person to obtain. There was a time you had wait to be informed in a print format that 1973 was a dreadful vintage in Bordeaux some 2-3 years after the fact, but when a hailstorm and terrible weather wiped out most of Piedmont in 2002 we knew in real time, and today it would be a tweet.

I buy nothing off of any critics scores today, and in fact am not even aware what their score is in most cases. What I do care about are things like... general information about the overall quality of regions I enjoy, emerging new wine regions making quality wines like Priorat in the late '90's and Northeast Italy ( Friuli - Venezia Giulia) and their stellar white wines within the last 10 years. I also look towards the critic inform of major changes at wineries like winemaker, designed style changes et al. In someways, I'm looking more for a wine reporter than a wine critic.

I have much more to say in response to Glenn's post, but need to run...
I agree with everything you said here. Wine reporting is a good way to phrase it.

Posts: 6526 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am just not as eager to (or insecure enough) to brag about all the old bottles I have had the fortune of having in a public space.

Sure you are. You just did. Try honesty in your future posts.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36869 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:

Let me know if you want to take this discussion offline and I am happy to share any notes and photos with you.

is this open to all?

i'd love to see notes and photos or be even better if you could post the notes on the forum.

I find it incredibly valuable to read objective notes on older wines because
1. lets me know if I taste a bottle that's too good to be true, what someone else may be tasting.
2. Seeing defining characters esp if these bottles are ex chateau
3. Looking at bottle shapes/sizes as I too have wondered about some of the pre WWI bottles I've purchased in the past.

ghiman at that google mail

Article, pics and tasting notes sent to you, Danyull and VinT.....enjoy.

Posts: 1137 | Registered: Apr 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post