New
Find
Notify
Tools

Number 50
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
GregT,

I'm with GA on this. Buying blind is foolish, at best.

Buying a wine without tasting it is very different, imo. As you said, you may be buying from a winery you have a 20 year track record with, or from a region you typically love, or a style you have a positive experience with over the long haul. You also may have a tasting note prior to buying ( barrel tasting) that exhibits traits you enjoy in a wine.

Right or wrong, I think there is a reason someone is dumping a wine. Also, if I buy a wine I know nothing about, I would only buy one bottle. I do not think this gimmick is interested in selling me or anyone one bottle.

If I'm looking to buy a car that is worth $60,000, and it is now selling for $20,000, I think there is a reason it is selling for a third, but perhaps that is just me. Wink

I have wasted too many $$$ over the years on deals. Ack

Your thoughts, please.

Posts: 29586 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So you've never bought a wine you never tried before, based solely on a score from WS or WA?

May you never go to hell, but always be on your way.

Posts: 6614 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
So you've never bought a wine you never tried before, based solely on a score from WS or WA?

Are you talking to me?

Posts: 29586 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not specifically. Just throwing it out there.
I will say that I have been guilty of this. As a general rule, I do not like to drop cash for a wine that I have not tried. But for a reasonably small outlay, I sometimes think it worth the risk. Of course, I may risk a bit more for a wine touted by WS, than I would by Rimmerman, as you certainly have to consider the source.

Posts: 6614 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:

Are you talking to me?

We need a Robert De Niro graemlin.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another offer with a sales pitch that is less than complimentary.

"In my opinion, this wine is not very good for $30-$35."

Is he overcompensating for some of the (always inevitable) criticism he received?

Posts: 8511 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thread is a little stale, but this is an interesting dialogue.

I WANT to be able to walk to my cellar and grab a bottle that I've never tried. Whether I bought it because of some Garagiste prose, or WS score, or a friend saying it was good, or on a whim is irrelevant. Everything that wine is about, the reason that we talk about it, collect it etc, is because it is unique - even the same wine vintage to vintage.

I always enjoy buying a wine I haven't tried more than one I have. Some sort of monogamy parallel here but not goin' there...

Posts: 18 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: Apr 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just received the shipment earlier this week: 2005 Frenchman Hills Syrah Sentinel Gap Vineyards. I'll let it rest a bit and try it next week.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roymarshall:
Just received the shipment earlier this week: 2005 Frenchman Hills Syrah Sentinel Gap Vineyards. I'll let it rest a bit and try it next week.

Really? My order still says "pre-arrival", and I pick up at the warehouse.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roymarshall:

roymarshall is correct. Picked this up today along with 3 each of the red and cab. They told me to open it at least 4 hours prior to serving. Somehow that doesn't sound good.
Let the, "I told you so"s begin.