Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Number 50
 Login/Join 
posted
I know I should know better, but as I'm a bit low on cellar defender syrah right now, I pulled the trigger on a half case of Garagiste Mystery Wine #50. We'll see what happens.

"Mystery Wine #50

Dear Friends,

As a Labor Day Weekend send-off, Mystery Wine #50 represents an offer that not only has a life of its own, the tariff speaks loudly enough that I can probably stop writing.

What started with such grand aspirations (and pricing to match – most examples in the portfolio were/are $25-80) led to a moment of realization that nothing lasts forever.

In this case, the finish line equals $7.99

As you head out of town for the holiday, consider what $7.99 gains those that choose to part with it: a sandwich, 1/2 gallon of gas in France, 40kms on the autoroute and now a bottle of (what was) expensive single vineyard Syrah from an ambitious Washington State entity that just couldn’t figure out how to sell $$$$ wine.

What I can tell you:

• This wine is not from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008 or 2009 – it is from one of the finest vintages of the last decade

• 100% single vineyard Syrah from a source that other admired entities utilize as well

• This is the top example of Syrah from the winery

• The overall style of the wine (and winery) places an emphasis on elegance, rather than brute force – it is not a big tannic style and (in my opinion) has already gently reached its apogee - although, others will definitely disagree with that assessment.

• Alcohol levels are generally lower than the norm

• The wine originally sold for $34.99 (although discounters offered it for $28.99-32.99)

• The latest community note on the wine was posted a few weeks ago with quite positive verbiage.

• I poured a bottle for educated palates before I left and they thought it was the most interesting wine of the tasting.

• That’s all I can tell you or the price triples.

• “If you take Seven Hills and let go of the need for numbers you get closer to the heart” - anonymous

• “A local card playing lad gambled far too much with far too little in his rucksack” - Steven Stelens

• “A penny saved is a penny spent” - JP Morgon

• I will skip the need for multiplication or mathematics and rely on multiplicity instead

Mystery Wine #50 (Washington State Syrah) - $7.99"

A father is someone who has pictures where his money used to be.

Posts: 6732 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why not?

Posts: 8637 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why?

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am irritated with them right now and not sure I will be a customer of theirs anymore but $7.99 is a reasonable risk. I do hope it is better than mystery wine #2 though. Red Face

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
I am irritated with them right now and not sure I will be a customer of theirs anymore but $7.99 is a reasonable risk. I do hope it is better than mystery wine #2 though. Red Face
For eight bucks there are a hundred different craft beers I would rather buy than some unknown wine that somebody is dumping because nobody would buy it if they knew what it was......

Great marketing scheme. Bad way to buy wine.

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a reason why it is priced at $8. And not because they want to reward risk-takers who buy the wine without knowing what it is.

Posts: 6411 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ack

Posts: 851 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
There's a reason why it is priced at $8. And not because they want to reward screw risk-takers who buy the wine without knowing what it is.

--------------------

Marcel Ayme`

posted Hide Post
I don't think that "correction" makes any sense...

Posts: 1280 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a few as well... I think it is a worthwhile risk. Plus, if it sucks, it makes a cheap gift.

Visit my travel blog: http://www.floridakeysgirl.com

Posts: 1091 | Location: Key West | Registered: Feb 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AML:
I don't think that "correction" makes any sense...
Pretty simple actually. I don't think buying something blind is a good idea. I don't think it's a reward type situation. It's more like we got over on you.

Why not just offer it at the price and tell people what it is. If it's a great deal people will buy like hotcakes. The fact that they don't tell you what it is is pure marketing.

I don't give my money to anyone without knowing what I'm getting in return.

--------------------

Marcel Ayme`

posted Hide Post
They should just call it "grab bag" wine. Roll Eyes

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2859 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
they give enough clues, as well as highlight the individual letters of the name for people to figure it out if someone cares to put in the work.

This particular one seems to be 'we tried to get a premium price point on the market (~$30) and lost our shirts. We hope to get a ton of this off the books without directly marketing th wine for $8 so that if we can get a better product next year we can still offer it at $20-30 and hopefully turn a profit.

How many times do they ever offer something you've tried? If the answer is 'often' you probably already have a good source for any wine you'd like. If not, you're buying almost everything they offer blind (i.e. without tasting it first). so whether its a mystery wine or any other small production, limited distribution wine, does knowing the name really make a difference in 90%+ of their offerings.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Posts: 434 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Aug 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah. I want to actually work for an eight dollar bottle of wine that nobody wanted in the first place...... Roll Eyes

--------------------

Marcel Ayme`

posted Hide Post
probably the same wine as #30?

McCrea Cellars syrah

they couldn't pitch that shit at 30$ either

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11605 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Granted, Garagiste is hit or miss. But I thought the small tariff worth the risk this time.

Posts: 6732 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buying their mystery wines used to be fun until people started tasting them.

"Believe me, you can count on Slippery Pete" - Kramer

Posts: 1422 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Jun 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has it shipped yet? What was the mystery winery?

Posts: 307 | Registered: Sep 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nevada slim:
Has it shipped yet? What was the mystery winery?

Still waiting...that's de rigueur with Garagiste.

posted Hide Post
Does anyone know what wine this is?

Right after this offer the next offer was for a wine from the same producer that was a Bordeaux style blend. Rimmerman said the winery tried to get him to sell it for $19.99 but he did not feel it was worth it. It was being offered for $8. I wonder if his sales pitch insulted the winery at all.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
Does anyone know what wine this is?

Right after this offer the next offer was for a wine from the same producer that was a Bordeaux style blend. Rimmerman said the winery tried to get him to sell it for $19.99 but he did not feel it was worth it. It was being offered for $8. I wonder if his sales pitch insulted the winery at all.

I bought a bottle or two of that one also, just out of curiosity. Still waiting for them to come in.... Bang

posted Hide Post
So, just guessing; no one here went for the Garage Sale?
Personally I have had good luck with the mystery wines, with the possible exception of #2. I still have some bottles of the Nicolas Cole blends that are drinking well. One (possible) dud out of 50 is a pretty good track record.

Posts: 140 | Location: Near NW of Chicago IL | Registered: Jun 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good deal or not...count me in the group that has absolutely zero interest in putting any dollars of my wine budget into a mystery wine or mystery case.

Tom
Twitter: @NWTomLee
www.zinfandelchronicles.com

Posts: 114 | Registered: Jul 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've gone in for a few of many of the Mystery wines. The Nicolas Cole, Patton Valley, Pirouette, and Ramey Larkmead were hits. The Grifol Tossals and Dois Irmaos were horrible misses.I cancelled the Dois Irmaos after tasting one from a friends purchase.
Most of the others have been a matter of taste, but basically not worth much more or less than the asking price.

Posts: 2274 | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:
Pretty simple actually. I don't think buying something blind is a good idea. I don't think it's a reward type situation. It's more like we got over on you.

Why not just offer it at the price and tell people what it is. If it's a great deal people will buy like hotcakes. The fact that they don't tell you what it is is pure marketing.

I don't give my money to anyone without knowing what I'm getting in return.

That's solid reasoning but isn't it pretty much what most people do when they buy Bordeaux futures? Actually, for most wines that people want to rush out and buy based on scores or mailing list or whatever. The main dif is that you may have had some experience with the wine and that cuts your risk somewhat. But plenty of people are willing to shell out major bucks for a wine they've never had from any vintage.

Anyhow, my problem with Garagiste is that he's all over the map and there's no consistency whatsoever. If he offered wines like Muscadet say, very lean, acidic, not a lot of fruit, no wood, and his offerings were always like that, you could maybe play the mystery wine game and be happy. But what you might end up with is a syrupy sweet, over-oaked undrinkable red that you'd never give a second glance.

I'm not saying it's wrong to cover the whole gamut of possibilities. But it makes the mystery wine a complete crapshoot and consequently less of a bargain and more of a sucker's game, as GA suggests.

If you score 50% of the time with something you like, then you need to double your tariff because you've got 50% of stuff you'd never have looked at.

And the idea of having that guy walk thru the warehouse and randomly pull bottles is even less enticing. I greatly respect his marketing skills. He's brilliant, doing $30 mil or so a year all by his lonesome. But at the end of the day, I'm with GA - why not just buy wine you know?

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2562 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post