WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Best cab to cellar under $100
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Best cab to cellar under $100
 Login/Join 
Member
posted
Renewing an old thread...any thoughts on recent vintages? Thanks y'all!
 
Posts: 54 | Registered: Jan 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
My easy educated guess is 2008 Montrose.

(If it has to be CA, my best educated guess would be to find a $10 bill in a seat cushion and 2009 Chappellet Prichard Hill. But really, 2008 Montrose.)


"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields
 
Posts: 7542 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I don't do much French wine, but if I wanted to pick up a couple of bottles, where would you suggest?
 
Posts: 54 | Registered: Jan 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I've been picking up some 2006 Clarendon Hills Cabs and Syrahs of late which were reasonably priced and have stored well.
 
Posts: 54 | Registered: Jan 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Ridge MB
 
Posts: 6443 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigTex22:
Thanks. I don't do much French wine, but if I wanted to pick up a couple of bottles, where would you suggest?

Wine-searcher has 5 <$100 listings. Of those, I can vouch for Schneider's as having a temperature controlled cellar where they store wines like these.
Wine Searcher Search


"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields
 
Posts: 7542 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks, but alas...the great state of Texas is not so great in that it limits internet retailers shipping to the state, with the exception of wine.com.

Agree with Ridge - all their juice is consistently good.
 
Posts: 54 | Registered: Jan 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Any of the Myriad single vineyards will age very well.
 
Posts: 1565 | Registered: Nov 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigTex22:
Thanks, but alas...the great state of Texas is not so great in that it limits internet retailers shipping to the state, with the exception of wine.com.
You're not trying hard enough Cool


________________________
If you're young and conservative, you have no heart. If you're old and liberal, you have no brain.

Apostrophes don't make things plural.
 
Posts: 2940 | Location: Houston | Registered: Apr 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Please, enlighten me!
 
Posts: 54 | Registered: Jan 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Check your PMs


________________________
If you're young and conservative, you have no heart. If you're old and liberal, you have no brain.

Apostrophes don't make things plural.
 
Posts: 2940 | Location: Houston | Registered: Apr 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Sorry for being dense...PM?
 
Posts: 54 | Registered: Jan 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
- Dunn Howell Mountain or Ridge Monte Bello

...Not sure of any domestic that will outlive either of these.
 
Posts: 1476 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
My easy educated guess is 2008 Montrose.

(If it has to be CA, my best educated guess would be to find a $10 bill in a seat cushion and 2009 Chappellet Prichard Hill. But really, 2008 Montrose.)


Well played. But, do you think '08 Montrose is a better cellar candidate than '04? I scooped up a couple ~ $70. Based on one that I recently tasted, it's a keeper.
 
Posts: 1476 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I'll throw a vote out for Beringer Private Reserve. I had the 1991 on 11/11/11 and it was fabulous - not even close to tiring out. The PR seems to be fairly easy to find around here in older vintages.
 
Posts: 5405 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Not sure if this is a serious thread, but I will play.

best under $100 <Napa> Cab from recent tastes.
2009 Rivers-Marie Panek Vineyard (75)
2009 Chiarello Eileen (60)
2009 Jones Sisters (50)

Off the beaten path but worth finding:
2010 Congruence Napa and Reserve*


*Steve is a friend. Wine is real deal.


www.budbreak.blogspot.com
www.clonyc.com
 
Posts: 849 | Registered: Jan 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
At least in my market, both Ridge Monte Bello and anything from Dunn are in the $100-$140 range, but I agree that they are very good wines.

California Cabs under $100 I will recommend include Shafer One Point Five (strong consistent track record for me, and I've tasted examples that were as much as 20 years old).
O'Shaughnessy has been very good, but they've only been around for a few years. The oldest I've tasted was 11 years old.
Mayacamas never scores big (when it's tasted on release), but it's built to age, and my limited experience has been very positive.
Some other suggestions include Ridge Santa Cruz Mts. Home Estate, Honig and Keenan.

Big +1 on Montrose when you can find a vintage under $100. Also consider many of the other fine Left Bank Bordeaux. Note that most have some element of Merlot/Cab Franc/Petit Verdot blended in, so they are not pure cabs, but then again, wines labeled "Cabernet Sauvignon" from California can have up to 15% of non-cab grapes as well. Anything from St. Estephe, Pauillac, St. Julien, Margaux, Moulis, Listrac, or Haut Medoc fits this bill. Obviously, the famous First Growths of Latour, Lafite-Rothschild, Mouton-Rothschild and Chateau Margaux are waaay beyond the price point, and the big-name Second Growths are also almost always over $100 now, even in poorer vintages. But some "super seconds", or wines that are frequently mentioned in the same breath, can give you high quality in lesser vintages, where they sneak in at under $100. Montrose, Calon Segur, Lynch Bages, Leoville Poyferre, Leoville Barton, and Gruaud Larose are in this category. But most of the classified growth Left Bank Bordeaux will still be under $100 even in top vintages (2005, 2009, 2010), and many are still under $50 or $60 in decent vintages (2008, 2006, 2004). Some of my favorites include Clerc Milon, d'Armailhac, Haut Batailly, Haut-Bages-Liberal, Talbot, Lagrange, Giscours, La Lagune and Cantemerle. There are many others.


Stay thirsty my friends.
 
Posts: 3058 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Pahlmeyer Proprietary Red Wine.
 
Posts: 9404 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
At least in my market, both Ridge Monte Bello and anything from Dunn are in the $100-$140 range, but I agree that they are very good wines.

California Cabs under $100 I will recommend include Shafer One Point Five (strong consistent track record for me, and I've tasted examples that were as much as 20 years old).
O'Shaughnessy has been very good, but they've only been around for a few years. The oldest I've tasted was 11 years old.
Mayacamas never scores big (when it's tasted on release), but it's built to age, and my limited experience has been very positive.
Some other suggestions include Ridge Santa Cruz Mts. Home Estate, Honig and Keenan.

Big +1 on Montrose when you can find a vintage under $100. Also consider many of the other fine Left Bank Bordeaux. Note that most have some element of Merlot/Cab Franc/Petit Verdot blended in, so they are not pure cabs, but then again, wines labeled "Cabernet Sauvignon" from California can have up to 15% of non-cab grapes as well. Anything from St. Estephe, Pauillac, St. Julien, Margaux, Moulis, Listrac, or Haut Medoc fits this bill. Obviously, the famous First Growths of Latour, Lafite-Rothschild, Mouton-Rothschild and Chateau Margaux are waaay beyond the price point, and the big-name Second Growths are also almost always over $100 now, even in poorer vintages. But some "super seconds", or wines that are frequently mentioned in the same breath, can give you high quality in lesser vintages, where they sneak in at under $100. Montrose, Calon Segur, Lynch Bages, Leoville Poyferre, Leoville Barton, and Gruaud Larose are in this category. But most of the classified growth Left Bank Bordeaux will still be under $100 even in top vintages (2005, 2009, 2010), and many are still under $50 or $60 in decent vintages (2008, 2006, 2004). Some of my favorites include Clerc Milon, d'Armailhac, Haut Batailly, Haut-Bages-Liberal, Talbot, Lagrange, Giscours, La Lagune and Cantemerle. There are many others.


Very good post Redhawk, but i was intrigued about some of your recommendations? For example, would you truly take Giscours (which I love) over Dunn Napa. I think but have not checked that for "off" vintages like 2006 prices for these should be similar. I'd take Dunn.


"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury
 
Posts: 1549 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I don't think I have ever paid over $50 for Giscours, although I didn't pick up any 2009 or 2010, so I'm not sure where they are priced. But I think Giscours tends to bounce between $35 and $65, depending on vintage and RP scores. At my LWS, Dunn Napa is always around $100 regardless of the vintage. So if it's a choice of 3x Giscours or just one Dunn, I would tend to go with the Giscours, I think. I haven't had much Dunn, though.


Stay thirsty my friends.
 
Posts: 3058 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
I don't think I have ever paid over $50 for Giscours, although I didn't pick up any 2009 or 2010, so I'm not sure where they are priced. But I think Giscours tends to bounce between $35 and $65, depending on vintage and RP scores. At my LWS, Dunn Napa is always around $100 regardless of the vintage. So if it's a choice of 3x Giscours or just one Dunn, I would tend to go with the Giscours, I think. I haven't had much Dunn, though.


Wow, let me know next time you see a Giscours at $35; that is a steal. In DC area, I've seen it closer to $65 and the Napa Dunn (not Howell)for $70. But thanks.


"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury
 
Posts: 1549 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Merengue:


would you truly take Giscours (which I love) over Dunn Napa.


I had the '89 & '90 Giscours 5 +/- years ago at a dinner, and they were far better than any Dunn I have ever tasted.

I would also take Ric Forman over Dunn.
 
Posts: 30040 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Merengue:


would you truly take Giscours (which I love) over Dunn Napa.


I had the '89 & '90 Giscours 5 +/- years ago at a dinner, and they were far better than any Dunn I have ever tasted.

I would also take Ric Forman over Dunn.


W+A, if you're ever in So Cal, a Dunn/ Giscours/ Forman challenge needs to be in order Cool
 
Posts: 1476 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Best cab to cellar under $100

© Wine Spectator 2013