WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Can a Zinfandel be WOTY
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can a Zinfandel be WOTY
 Login/Join 
posted
I want to hear why you think a Zinfandel can not be WS WOTY. It seems to be a a perfect fit from some WS criteria - The high ranking Zinfandel produce a large number of cases, are readily available and relatively inexpensive. Is it the history of Zinfandel (considered to be the wine of the peasants?) Peace and kind exchange Smile

Posts: 718 | Location: Pinot Heaven - CA | Registered: Oct 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't see any reason why not. I don't understand how a pinotage from S. Africa could be!

99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.

Posts: 7092 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, it can.

Posts: 5367 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think a WOTY, if one is inclined to think that such an award is meaningful, needs to have a wow-factor that is on par with the other great wines of the world.

What Zinfandel would you put on par with the best of the best, hippomon?

PH

Posts: 14946 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
I think a WOTY, if one is inclined to think that such an award is meaningful, needs to have a wow-factor that is on par with the other great wines of the world.

PH

I can think of a few that wowed me:
Mazzocco Juan Rodridge Reseve 2008
Turley Ueberroth 2009
Carlisle Papera Ranch 2008

I must confess that Bordeaux wines in general do not wow me, however Rhone and Pinot often do.

Posts: 718 | Location: Pinot Heaven - CA | Registered: Oct 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stick to your Cabs around the world collection, snobs Wink
That said i'm glad that best pinotage remains achievable that way.

There is nothing in our intelligence that has not passed by the senses. (Aristoteles)

Posts: 1848 | Location: Luxemburg | Registered: Nov 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hippomon:
quote:

PH

I can think of a few that wowed me:
Mazzocco Juan Rodridge Reseve 2008
Turley Ueberroth 2009
Carlisle Papera Ranch 2008

I must confess that Bordeaux wines in general do not wow me, however Rhone and Pinot often do.

Sorry to hear about the Bordeaux thing, hippomon, although I think that your perspective may well point out the difficulty of the whole WOTY concept. It's sooooooooo subjective. And again, it's not just a wow that's needed for me, it's a wow against all comers. I've never had a Zin that was even close in wow-factor to the best I've had from the Rhone or Burgundy, not to mention so many other styles/regions.

If you gave me a choice of a great Red Bordeaux, a spectacular Cote Rotie, a world class Burgundy, hell....even an excellent Napa Cabernet against the best Zinfandel I've ever had, the Zin would remain unopened with no thought given. Very specific food pairings excepted of course.

PH

Posts: 14946 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had some pretty impressive Zinfandels, including the Carlisle Papera cited by hippomon (both '08 and '07 were great), Turley Aida, various Martinelli, Ridge Paganis from the early '90s. They're not my favorite style of wine and I very seldom reach for a Zin, but the WS WOTY is not awarded to the greatest wine made or marketed in the previous year. As pointed out above, the criteria are clear. There's no reason why a Zinfandel can't meet them, and in this case one does. There may one day be a Sauvignon Blanc that does the same.

Pinotage might be a stretch, though. Smile

Cheers!

Posts: 8307 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:

There may one day be a Sauvignon Blanc that does the same.

There is Sauvignon Blanc, then there is (was) Didier Dagueneau Sauvignon Balnc. Wink

Now add some Semillon and we have Haut Brion Blanc. Cool

Posts: 29999 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think another problem with WOTYs is that the concept greatly favors wines that are appreciable to the average palate (include me in this categorization) in their youth. I can think of many wines that were tough to appreciate early... or misleading when young, that evolved beyond my ability to predict their progress.

PH

posted Hide Post
quote:
I think another problem with WOTYs is that the concept greatly favors wines that are appreciable to the average palate (include me in this categorization) in their youth. I can think of many wines that were tough to appreciate early... or misleading when young, that evolved beyond my ability to predict their progress.

PH

Sounds like a Zinfandel to me Smile Not a Bordeaux for sure.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:

There is Sauvignon Blanc, then there is (was) Didier Dagueneau Sauvignon Balnc. Wink

Now add some Semillon and we have Haut Brion Blanc. Cool

I also thought briefly about Dageneau when I was posting above, but had in mind more specifically Cloudy Bay as a winery whose Sauv Blanc could meet the availability, quality, and value criteria, and at one time also had the "it" factor, though other NZ wineries seem to have caught up or even surpassed them in recent years. But a decade or so ago, they would not have been a far-fetched choice.

Cheers!

Posts: 8307 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still dream about the DD sauv blanc.

that being said, I've never had a pinot that ever wowed me ;-)

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11650 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was waiting for you g-man ! So can a port be WOTY Smile

posted Hide Post
Well, Zin will always have a better shot than Vidal or Saperavi.

Posts: 1492 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hippomon:
I was waiting for you g-man ! So can a port be WOTY Smile

check out 1994 ;-)

http://www.winespectator.com/w...rchivelist/year/1997

double #1

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11650 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The subjective thing has been thrown out there so... The best wine that you have in mind Bordeaux, Burgundy, Rhone or whatever is no big deal or not even liked by someone else. I don't see anyone's experience or favoritism of these regions as criteria to rule out a grape.

Posts: 8648 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Based on the criteria the WS uses, I think zin can be the WOTY. That would have been a more exciting pick than some of the WOTY’s from the past couple of years for sure. I have had some really good older zins from Ridge in the last couple years that have changed my opinion on the grape. I agree with others though that for my palate, it just cannot hit the same highs that other varietals hit.

Posts: 6413 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[
quote:

Merry Edwards?

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1533 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post