WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Scarecrow shipment screwup
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scarecrow shipment screwup
 Login/Join 
posted
Yesterday, after a good round of golf with some buddies, I was eager to return home to open a couple of wine shipments that had been delivered. I first opened the 2008 Shafer HSS. No problem, other than for what they charge, styrofoam, rather than cardboard, would be appropriate. I then opened the good sized box containing 3 bottles of 2009 Scarecrow. After removing a couple layers of foam I pulled out a wooden M. Etain box. Sure enough, it contained two bottles of 2010 M. Etain and no Scarecrow. I contacted VinFillment. I learned that I was not the only one who had the problem. They said they would immediately ship my Scarecrow and the fedex guy would take back the M. Etain. I thought VinFillment handled the problem well but I'll reserve final judgement until I open the box Monday.

Posts: 5 | Location: Maryland, the nanny state | Registered: Jan 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh no, you seem to have misplaced the M. Etain! Wink

Posts: 854 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I got an email a few days ago from VF stating they were holding my Etain order for a few days b/c the Bay Area was in the midst of a heat wave.

Posts: 793 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: Aug 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bvino:
styrofoam, rather than cardboard, would be appropriate.

You have to order the six pack to get the styrofoam, and then they'll also throw in some wood for you too. Wink I do agree with you though. I'd much rather pay the few extra dollars to have the mags shipped in styro too.

There was a shipping issue at Wine Direct's Ohio facility this week too. The winery and WD more than made up for it.

Posts: 1565 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're lucky. I once received the wrong shipment from WineCommune/J.J.Buckley. Sent it back, but I never did get the wines I won/purchased, just a check. Frown

A father is someone who has pictures where his money used to be.

Posts: 6749 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllRed:
quote:

You have to order the six pack to get the styrofoam, and then they'll also throw in some wood for you too. Wink I do agree with you though. I'd much rather pay the few extra dollars to have the mags shipped in styro too.

Every one is going green these days. Not a bad thing. Getting rid of all the styrofoam shippers is a PITA. The paper ones go into the recycle bin.

When in doubt, open another bottle.

Posts: 2604 | Location: Silver Spring MD (Near DC) | Registered: Nov 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dinwiddie:
Every one is going green these days. Not a bad thing. Getting rid of all the styrofoam shippers is a PITA. The paper ones go into the recycle bin.

I suppose you're right- green is good. Our city recycling program stopped accepting styrofoam last year, but luckily there's a recycling facility that accepts styrofoam about fifteen minutes away so we make a couple of runs each shipping season.

Posts: 1565 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a trash bin that is a lot closer then 15 minutes away.

“The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.”—Winston Churchill”

Posts: 3470 | Location: Vermont | Registered: Sep 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got the Etain weather hold email as well, but as it's still touching the 80s here in Texas that was no surprise.

I know all Harlan/Bond's products ship in a dissolvable foam. This fits around the wooden cases for impact protection, not around individual bottles for insulation, though. I wonder how cost effective this product would be to use for individual bottles, or how well it would insulate?

Jim
That's, RedLoverJim to you

Posts: 97 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yesterday, after a good round of golf with some buddies, I was eager to return home to open a couple of wine shipments that had been delivered. I first opened the 2008 Shafer HSS. No problem, other than for what they charge, styrofoam, rather than cardboard, would be appropriate. I then opened the good sized box containing 3 bottles of 2009 Scarecrow. After removing a couple layers of foam I pulled out a wooden M. Etain box. Sure enough, it contained two bottles of 2010 M. Etain and no Scarecrow. I contacted VinFillment. I learned that I was not the only one who had the problem. They said they would immediately ship my Scarecrow and the fedex guy would take back the M. Etain. I thought VinFillment handled the problem well but I'll reserve final judgement until I open the box Monday.

I popped an 09 Scarecrow back in August...you aren't missing much.

Was by far the most disappointing wine of the night between 19 or so bottles.

Ryan

Posts: 1001 | Location: Arizona | Registered: Jan 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AllRed:
quote:

If you reuse the styro shippers you are a 'green' freak. I have found that the cardboard is only good for one shipment.

I use them when I ship my stuff from wineries as I bring my own shippers.

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6261 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So how do you carry six cases worth of foam shippers on the plane to CA from FL? Big Grin

When in doubt, open another bottle.

Posts: 2604 | Location: Silver Spring MD (Near DC) | Registered: Nov 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So how do you carry six cases worth of foam shippers on the plane to CA from FL? Big Grin

Mostly to NYS Finger Lakes. Old homestead. From CA I order direct, .... Wise guy Big Grin

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6261 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We take our shippers back from our clients and reuse them.

Even pay for the postage to do so.

Then they get a store credit for the return.

Daniel Posner
www.grapesthewineco.com-
"But is anyone speaking for consumers' best interest? One liquor store owner, Daniel Posner of Grapes the Wine Company..."-Wine Spectator
"One of the most important retailers in the country"-Wall Street Journal, November 2010
"(T)hese are the kind of posts we've come to expect from NY Retailer."-Board-O
"You're not here to help us. You're here to help yourself..."-Board-O
"You a liar and your motives here are clear to all. Let me repeat- you are a liar."-Board-O

Posts: 747 | Location: New York | Registered: May 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post