WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    If you were on a desert island...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you were on a desert island...
 Login/Join 
posted
...and could only drink two reds and two whites...which ones?

Posts: 54 | Registered: Jan 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm basing this off of wines that I have had, otherwise the '61 Petrus & '59 Latour would probably be the reds.

But...

Reds:

- '87 Dunn Howell Mountain
- '03 Cos d'Estournel

Whites:

- '90 Donnhoff Brucke Auslese
- '09 Aubert Lauren Vineyard

Posts: 1569 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I might go with wines that I would enjoy drinking very often as opposed to "wow" wines, if that makes sense.

Didier Daguenau Buisson Renard
Varner Bee Block Chard
Santa Duc Gigondas
Stefania Eaglepoint Syrah

Just off the top of my head. No bubbles? Frown

Posts: 5472 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One advantage of the sparkly - bigger bottles, greater buoyancy to help you float off the island!

posted Hide Post
i'd trade the btls for a beer and kate upton

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12153 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
i'd trade the btls for a beer and kate upton

+1

The last thing I want on a deserted island is a bunch of wine.

Give me a couple of supermodels and some soap. We'll figure the rest out.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I need more information. What will the average temperature be? What kind of fruit is available? Will there be a certain fish species available near shore? Any wild boar on the island? How about wild turkey?

Posts: 2405 | Location: Windsor, CA | Registered: Dec 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mountainman:
I need more information. What will the average temperature be? What kind of fruit is available? Will there be a certain fish species available near shore? Any wild boar on the island? How about wild turkey?

The food or the drink? Razz

Posts: 3595 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The latest SI swimsuit edition is strongly recommended reading. Paired with a nice Pinot, of course!

posted Hide Post
Mountain man - good point. Likely coconuts, raw fish, and your typical stranded island assorted grasses and other fauna. With all those empty bottles, should be able to trap some very tiny shrimp!

posted Hide Post
I would want to be with my twin and double up whatever he brings Wink

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5741 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:

Too much "man boob" on this island, not enough "boob boob".

Razz

Posts: 4990 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
I'm basing this off of wines that I have had, otherwise the '61 Petrus & '59 Latour would probably be the reds.

But...

Reds:

- '87 Dunn Howell Mountain
- '03 Cos d'Estournel

Whites:

- '90 Donnhoff Brucke Auslese
- '09 Aubert Lauren Vineyard

I digress...

Give me some Spotted Cow & some Bar Refaeli (in that order). AND, I will also require a volleyball to converse with (Preferably "Wilson" brand).

Posts: 1569 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorgerunfrombulls:
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:

Too much "man boob" on this island, not enough "boob boob".

Razz

So you're saying you'd be bringing Kaitlyn Leeb??

Posts: 1672 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mountainman:

Good thinking mountainman. You cannot choose a wine without considering pairing can you?

Everything is better with wine
Wine and Beer Blog: blog.wineandbarware.com

Posts: 6 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: Feb 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post