WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    How many hangovers per year?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many hangovers per year?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
i realize I tend to get hangovers after drinking a bottle of pinot after a port tasting.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11627 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every time I end up at the Fine Wine Reserve after an offline. I'm not a member so all you enablers know who you are....

Posts: 1558 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Almost never since I've learned to drink a better quality of distilled spirits, and not to chug them. Even when drinking a lot of wine in an evening, I pretty much never have a problem. Sometimes I end up with a slight headache if I consume a lot of bubbly.

Posts: 5360 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
Every time I end up at the Fine Wine Reserve after an offline. I'm not a member so all you enablers know who you are....

I hate it when that happens. Cool

Posts: 2665 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not hung much these days. Maybe once or twice a year usually the result of a tournament at the golf course that goes from beer during the tournament, to wine with dinner, to hard stuff after that with cigars by the fire pits. A little hangover the next day is worth it though as those are some good times.

Posts: 6405 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
i realize I tend to get hangovers after drinking a bottle of pinot after a port tasting.

Maybe you just feel miserable after having had to drink Pinot? Switch to something better and you may be OK.

My favorite post on this ancient thread tho, was from Spo:
quote:
Sometimes I can drink a whole bottle of wine and I will be okay the next day. I will get tired and require a nap shortly after getting home from work though.

The reason you're OK the next day is because you took that nap.

But if you can drink a whole bottle at work, I hope your job isn't something that's dangerous.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2566 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Come to think of it, some memorable hangovers have come from attending WS offlines

Posts: 911 | Location: SW CT | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The combination of a fatty cut of grilled red meat, a bottle of wine and a couple of scotch glasses to end the evening kills me.

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1529 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No amount of red wine gives me a hangover, as I usually am good about keeping up with water and then a Gatorade at the end of the drinking session.

Mixing champagne and red wine = instant headache.

Posts: 228 | Registered: Jun 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:

+1

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.

Posts: 2366 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
None. I have learned to pace myself and drink a lot of water after a lot of wine. The major cause of hangovers is dehydration, so take some of your favorite pain meds and drink a bottle of water before you go to bed.

When in doubt, open another bottle.

Posts: 2601 | Location: Silver Spring MD (Near DC) | Registered: Nov 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I aim for zero, but once in a while a situation gets the better of me.

http://thewinenerds.ca/

Posts: 671 | Location: Toronto, Ontario (Etobicoke) | Registered: Oct 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny, it's close to zero for me. On the very rare occasion when I'm hurting the following morning it is usually in situations when I least deserve it.... Confused Not sure what's up with that; lack of hydration, possible food interaction or something else. Glad it's rare.

PH

Posts: 14939 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very seldom, and agree when it does happen (like this past New Years Day) it's almost always due to lack of hydration through the event. That said, they take a LOT longer to recover from as the years pass so thankfully the answer is again, very seldom.

"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst..."

Posts: 1912 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Sep 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
None last year for me. If I drink alot or have a cold I hit the sauna at the ymca with a big jug of water.

Posts: 9376 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I definitely get hangovers about once a month. Like many others have suggested, I'm guessing that the lack of water is probably what really makes it bad.

Posts: 3063 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Around ten.

Only death is free, and even that costs you your life

Posts: 1905 | Registered: Apr 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:
None last year for me. If I drink alot or have a cold I hit the sauna at the ymca with a big jug of water.

This is y I don't go to the y. Ack

Posts: 167 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: Jan 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i average about 2 or 3. daily. Winner

-----------------------------

Go Yankees! Razz

Posts: 8463 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Nov 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can count on one hand the number if hangovers I've had since college 12 years ago. Only one last year and that was after a long going away party/bar crawl down Division in Arlington (for you DFW folks). Too many different types of liquor combined with the rare cigarettes, but a great night nonetheless.

Jim
That's, RedLoverJim to you

Posts: 97 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post