WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    How many hangovers per year?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many hangovers per year?
 Login/Join 
posted
This is wine related... Try to separate wine hangovers from everything else. For me - one or two real "I don't want to live" thumpers, but probably another 12 days when I'm not at my best.

---------------------------------------------------------
"...And so ultimately you didn't blame Lil John or Meat Loaf. You fired Gary Busey. And these are the kinds of decisions that would keep me up at night. Well-handled, sir. Well-handled."

Posts: 1405 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I may be in serious pain one or two mornings a year. Inevitably, wine is not the culprit.

PH

Posts: 15020 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not had one of those thumpers like you were describing in years. Sometimes I can drink a whole bottle of wine and I will be okay the next day. I will get tired and require a nap shortly after getting home from work though. I stay away from hard liquor, especially shots.

Posts: 8671 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Inevitably, wine is not the culprit.

Same here.

See THIS THREAD for many gory stories by your wine brotherhood.

Posts: 7448 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hardly ever drink hard liquor. I don't get hangovers from wine.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36766 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know... now that I think about it, it's more like one every few years, usually after a long day in Napa and with more wine at dinner. All the other times, there's always a kick-off scotch or the cognac at midnight that factors in.

Still, a bottle in a night would put me mighty close - much more than that and I'm thumpin'.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RedMeat,

---------------------------------------------------------
"...And so ultimately you didn't blame Lil John or Meat Loaf. You fired Gary Busey. And these are the kinds of decisions that would keep me up at night. Well-handled, sir. Well-handled."

Posts: 1405 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't call it a hangover as much as just feeling a little crummy the next morning. Once I get a cup of coffee and get going I'm ok. As long as I drink enough water while I'm drinking wine I'm fine

Posts: 525 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
None unless I switch to the hard stuff after I've already started with wine.

CH
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It was only after their population of fifty mysteriously shrank to eight that the other seven dwarfs began to suspect Hungry."

Posts: 2 | Location: Fulton County, Illinois | Registered: Sep 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
one big one a year, one minor one every month.

pissing people off since 1971!

Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime. ~Potter Stewart

Posts: 3475 | Location: oklahoma city, usa | Registered: Aug 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't really have hangovers. I usually don't drink that much wine, and even when I do (i.e. Otis's cellar diminishment party), I don't have hangovers. Upset stomach and nausea, once every 3-4 months. It normally is the tannins in very young wines that irritate my G.I. tract.
Mind you, eating Cajun food (jumbalaya) before the CDP, might not have been the best decision I've taken in my life.. Confused Razz

"There's an awful lot of wine, but there's a lot of awful wine
-Life's too short to drink bad wine!"

Posts: 1486 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Feb 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not to mention the White Castle sliders on the bus ride home. Hangover or not, you weren't looking to peachy the morning after the night before. Razz

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5658 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
None

Posts: 6117 | Location: Cloud 9 | Registered: Mar 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I blame tyee and tlily for almost being unable to start the West Coast Trail last year. Those guys are evil.

--------------
For those in the Middle East: http://muscatdeli.blogspot.com

Posts: 1518 | Location: Muscat, Oman | Registered: Nov 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Port after dinner is normally indicted in the wine hangover and given that it is mostly wine, I cite this as my leading cause of wine hangovers (that with the 2 bottle nights).

The other blind spot I have is the 1 or 2 martinis before dinner which inevitably you don't feel at the time but wonder why you feel so shockingly poor the next morning.

BirD

must not buy any more wine, must not buy any more wine... DOH!!!!

Posts: 1106 | Location: London,UK | Registered: Mar 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i average about 2 per day. luckily, i have enough wine to never actually feel them.

-----------------------------

Go Yankees! Razz

Posts: 8463 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Nov 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you stay drunk, you never get a hangover. Wink

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36766 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I rarely get a hangover. I've been conditioning for a long time Eek.

Posts: 7863 | Location: Germantown, Tennessee | Registered: Oct 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course, I'm in the industry, and am treated to dinners, tastings, and the like....probably one or two a month.

"Fair thoughts and happy hours attend on you!!"

Posts: 757 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: Nov 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carriedca:
I don't really have hangovers. I usually don't drink that much wine, and even when I do (i.e. Otis's cellar diminishment party), I don't have hangovers. Upset stomach and nausea, once every 3-4 months. It normally is the tannins in very young wines that irritate my G.I. tract.
Mind you, eating Cajun food (jumbalaya) before the CDP, might not have been the best decision I've taken in my life.. Confused Razz

I rode to the airport with you the next day, pal - Cajun food had nothing to do with your condition.Razz Big Grin You were green and sweating profusely even with the air conditioning on full and the window open. Razz Big Grin DoktaP and I couldn't even look at you without breaking into hysterics. You were one hurting dude. Big Grin I admit, personally, my hangover in Chicago was in the top 20 of all time for me. Frown

I'm back....

Posts: 4491 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tears come to my eyes just thinking of the breakfast the next morning after otis' cellar diminishment party. It was friggin' hiarious.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5658 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DoktaP:

Only you could reference an old Shelly Berman comedy bit...

Big Grin

Where...where IS my Alka-Selzer?

Perfect for this thread.

highdesertwine
http://www.winelinesonline.com

Posts: 1700 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: Nov 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Green eggs and ham, orange coffee, cucumber water, Carriedca's multiple trips to the can..... that breakfast had it all! Big Grin A true classic.

I think the reason I didn't feel so terrible was that I was still drunk from the night before. Roll Eyes Big Grin

I'm back....

Posts: 4491 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can feel my hangovers coming.
Then I drink water, water, water.
I will not let the little god to beat me.

Gebe Gott uns allen, uns trinkern, einen so leichten und shönen Tod. Joseph Roth.

Posts: 202 | Location: BsAs | Registered: Jun 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Go HOKIES!!!

Posts: 4865 | Location: North Plainfield, NJ | Registered: Oct 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a bump I wish I didn't have to make. I've had headaches and cotton mouth from wine but not a true hide the sharp objects hangover in 11 years. I broke that streak on New Year's Day. I didn't think I did anything that outrageous but something caught up to me. The only bubbles I had was a single glass at the beginning of NYE. The rest was red wine with no liquor mixed in.

Posts: 132 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: Apr 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post