WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Schrader Waiting list
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Schrader Waiting list
 Login/Join 
posted
For anyone active on the Schrader cab list, a few quick questions:
1) Do you have to buy the Double Diamond, Aston Pinot, and/or Vieux OS offerings to stay "active" on the Schrader Cab waiting list?

2) How long were you on the wait list before getting a Schrader cab allocation? I've been getting Double Diamond and Zin offers for the last 3 years but never a Schrader cab allocation

3) And of course, if you're ever looking to unload a bottle or two of your Schrader allocation, I'm always up for trades!

Thanks

Posts: 1534 | Location: Boston | Registered: Jun 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Schrader claims that purchasing (or not) other Schrader wines has no influence on the Schrader cab wait list, and from personal experience that seems to be accurate. I don't purchase the Aston or the Vieux OS, and I have skipped the Double Diamond accidentally once, (it sold out while I was on vacation), and it didn't seem to affect my cab allocation.

I have friends that are also on the list and our behavior is not the same, but our allocations stay the same.

I think it was about 3 years for people who got their first allocation two years ago and last year, but it could have gone up. I know of one person that has been on the wait list for 2 years, and they are still waiting.

I could probably trade some Schrader for some SQN.

Posts: 389 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: Aug 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't buy anything but the Schrader wines either, and it doesn't seem to have an impact. But, I am only on the last wave list that usually gets a 2 or 3 pack leftover offer. They seem to keep them separate, or else I would probably be off the "main" list.

I think I only waited a couple years at most - I got my first offer in early 2011.

Considering I only get one each of certain bottles, I probably wouldn't unload it. But, if you're ever in Chicago, we could probably find an excuse to open one!

Posts: 2778 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first offer was after 3 years, in 2007. My allocations: 2007 - 2, 2008 - 3, 2009 - 5+1, 2010 - 3+1, 2011 - 4+1, 2012 - 4+1. The +1 is one Old Sparky, first come, first served. Their volumes have been sporadic for the last few years on some of their wines, and I don't know if people who have been members forever get offered the smaller production wines, or if they all go somewhere else.

As a side note, the 2006 Old Sparky they poured at the 2009 WS Grand Tasting was the best wine I've ever tried. Number 2 would either be one of the Scarecrow's I've tried or the 1984 Caymus Special Selection, WS wine of the year in 1989, which I paid $100 for to prove to myself that I would never need to pay that much for a bottle of wine again. I was mistaken.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: davec,

Posts: 389 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: Aug 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been buying since the 2006 vintage, right before the wave of high scores hit. First year I bought a case of the DD and didn't care for it at all. I've only bought the flagship wine since then each year. My allocations look similar to davec's except the '12 Schrader hasn't been sold yet. I'm really looking forward to that one based on vintage expectations.
At that time I don't believe the wait list was very long, I got the main wine offering the same year as the DD.

Posts: 3016 | Location: ATL | Registered: Mar 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Sparty:
I don't buy anything but the Schrader wines either, and it doesn't seem to have an impact. But, I am only on the last wave list that usually gets a 2 or 3 pack leftover offer. They seem to keep them separate, or else I would probably be off the "main" list.

I think I only waited a couple years at most - I got my first offer in early 2011.

Considering I only get one each of certain bottles, I probably wouldn't unload it. But, if you're ever in Chicago, we could probably find an excuse to open one!

Definitely will take you up on that offer!

Posts: 1534 | Location: Boston | Registered: Jun 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Thanks for your responses. I was really not looking forward to what I thought might be an obligatory DD purchase again this year. The Double Diamond is ok, but not great . . . certainly not something I would continue to buy unless it served an active list accelerating purpose.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snipes:
Been buying since the 2006 vintage, right before the wave of high scores hit. First year I bought a case of the DD and didn't care for it at all. I've only bought the flagship wine since then each year. My allocations look similar to davec's except the '12 Schrader hasn't been sold yet. I'm really looking forward to that one based on vintage expectations.
At that time I don't believe the wait list was very long, I got the main wine offering the same year as the DD.
'

Snipes . . . with you on the DD

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Parcival:
Gentlemen,

Thanks for your responses. I was really not looking forward to what I thought might be an obligatory DD purchase again this year. The Double Diamond is ok, but not great . . . certainly not something I would continue to buy unless it served an active list accelerating purpose.

Glad you posted this Parcival as I just received my allocation e-mail regarding the DD. I've purchased it for the past two years (due to the assumption that it might speed up my achievement of the 'regular' list) and have been less than impressed.

While I do enjoy their Vieux-OX, I may gamble and hold off on purchasing the DD.

Posts: 183 | Registered: Jul 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tfland111:
quote:
Gentlemen,

Glad you posted this Parcival as I just received my allocation e-mail regarding the DD. I've purchased it for the past two years (due to the assumption that it might speed up my achievement of the 'regular' list) and have been less than impressed.

While I do enjoy their Vieux-OX, I may gamble and hold off on purchasing the DD.

totally on the same page. I actually really like the Vieux Zins . . . it delivers a somewhat unexpected crushed black pepper punch I enjoy (though my wife absolutely hates it). DD -- $20 at a local shop will get you a CAB that I would enjoy just as much.

I have an email out to Schrader about this issue, and am planning on calling later today if I don't hear back. If I hear confirmation one way or another, I'll let you know. But, I trust what everyone else has said so am feeling very safe about not going in for another DD purchase

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by tfland111:
quote:
Gentlemen,

totally on the same page. I actually really like the Vieux Zins . . . it delivers a somewhat unexpected crushed black pepper punch I enjoy (though my wife absolutely hates it). DD -- $20 at a local shop will get you a CAB that I would enjoy just as much.

I have an email out to Schrader about this issue, and am planning on calling later today if I don't hear back. If I hear confirmation one way or another, I'll let you know. But, I trust what everyone else has said so am feeling very safe about not going in for another DD purchase

Awesome! I'd love to hear their response...

posted Hide Post
quote:
... My allocations look similar to davec's except the '12 Schrader hasn't been sold yet. ...

My bad, I got ahead of myself. The 2012 is TBD.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davec:
quote:
... My allocations look similar to davec's except the '12 Schrader hasn't been sold yet. ...

My bad, I got ahead of myself. The 2012 is TBD.

You scared me so badly I had logged into my account to check. Smile I have very high hopes for this one.

Posts: 3016 | Location: ATL | Registered: Mar 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davec:

I could probably trade some Schrader for some SQN.

Davec . . . read right through this last comment. Shoot me an email. Always up for trades

posted Hide Post
I just checked my records from last year and the 2011 offer e-mail arrived on Nov 14, 2012 with on-line orders accepted on Dec 4, 2012. In other words, you will likely learn if you have a 2012 allocation this November. Good luck!

Posts: 185 | Registered: Nov 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey guys . . . an update.

I just spoke to someone at Schrader and she confirmed that there is no obligation to purchase Double Diamond, Vieux Zin, or Aston Pinot. Purchasing / not purchasing in no way affects waiting list status

And, as Steve just mentioned, the next allocation letter is coming this November for the January Cab release.

And, in other news, Schrader is perhaps one of the nicest wineries I have ever spoken with. I spoke with Christina who was incredibly nice. She said she was more than happy to look up my name on their list to give me as best an estimate possible as to when I will be getting an allocation (apparently I'm now active for their next allocation).

As many of you have probably experience, other wineries are not that gracious and you very much get the sense that you are bothering them when calling to ask when you can give them your cash.

Thanks again all!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve W.:
I just checked my records from last year and the 2011 offer e-mail arrived on Nov 14, 2012 with on-line orders accepted on Dec 4, 2012. In other words, you will likely learn if you have a 2012 allocation this November. Good luck!

Steve . . . referenced you in my above post . . . not sure I've seen your posts before but good to meet you and thanks for the info!

posted Hide Post
As an FYI, they have done the offers in waves ever since I've been on (the last 3 years). So, even though the first wave may be offered in November, I was part of the group that didn't get their offer until January. Not sure if it will be the same this year, but something to keep in mind for those that are looking for their first offer this year.

Posts: 2778 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Sparty:
As an FYI, they have done the offers in waves ever since I've been on (the last 3 years). So, even though the first wave may be offered in November, I was part of the group that didn't get their offer until January. Not sure if it will be the same this year, but something to keep in mind for those that are looking for their first offer this year.

It will be waves- November, December and January.

Posts: 814 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I just spoke to someone at Schrader and she confirmed that there is no obligation to purchase Double Diamond, Vieux Zin, or Aston Pinot. Purchasing / not purchasing in no way affects waiting list status

And, as Steve just mentioned, the next allocation letter is coming this November for the January Cab release.

And, in other news, Schrader is perhaps one of the nicest wineries I have ever spoken with. I spoke with Christina who was incredibly nice. She said she was more than happy to look up my name on their list to give me as best an estimate possible as to when I will be getting an allocation (apparently I'm now active for their next allocation).

As many of you have probably experience, other wineries are not that gracious and you very much get the sense that you are bothering them when calling to ask when you can give them your cash.

Thanks again all!

Could have picked worse vintage to start off your Schrader collection.... Smile

"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance." -Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 265 | Location: Boston | Registered: Feb 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Davec . . . read right through this last comment. Shoot me an email. Always up for trades

I think I've misplaced your email.
I'm at david at childs dot cc

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eb56:
quote:

Thanks again all!

E- you on their list? Next time you're over, I'll crack open a DD to let you know first hand why I was not psyched to purchase again. The Schrader Cabs are a totally different story. Had once 4-5 years ago and that prompted me to sign up on their list

posted Hide Post
quote:
For anyone active on the Schrader cab list, a few quick questions:
1) Do you have to buy the Double Diamond, Aston Pinot, and/or Vieux OS offerings to stay "active" on the Schrader Cab waiting list?

2) How long were you on the wait list before getting a Schrader cab allocation? I've been getting Double Diamond and Zin offers for the last 3 years but never a Schrader cab allocation

3) And of course, if you're ever looking to unload a bottle or two of your Schrader allocation, I'm always up for trades!

Thanks

Have passed on all of the offerings over the years. Never bought one bottle. A friend of mine did, thinking that it might make a difference. We both got our first 2 bottle allocation last year at the same time.

Posts: 1476 | Location: Pacific Palisades, CA | Registered: Feb 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Eb56:
quote:

Thanks again all!

E- you on their list? Next time you're over, I'll crack open a DD to let you know first hand why I was not psyched to purchase again. The Schrader Cabs are a totally different story. Had once 4-5 years ago and that prompted me to sign up on their list

Patiently waiting, maybe 2 years now. 2013 looks like a huge harvest, maybe I'll get lucky....not holding my breath though.

"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance." -Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 265 | Location: Boston | Registered: Feb 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks again all!

Parcival,

Just heard back from Schrader and it looks like I made it to their active list as well. Definitely looking forward to it!