WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Wine suggestions for Xmas gifts
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wine suggestions for Xmas gifts
 Login/Join 
posted
I'm looking to pick up some wine to give as presents for Christmas for clients, friends, and family at my work Christmas party. I'm looking to spend no more than $50 a bottle. Ideally, I would like to stay between $30-50/bottle. Most of the people I will be giving the wine to are just casual drinkers and aren't particularly picky, but there are also quite a few wino's that will be receiving wine as well. So i'm looking for something that will appeal to the average wine drinker but will also satisfy the wine geeks. I'm leaning towards something Italian but I'm open to pretty much anything. Something that doesn't need much cellar time and ready to drink would be ideal as well.

So far I am thinking about maybe a Petrolo Torrione or a Tua Rita Perlato del Bosco?

Thanks for the help!

Posts: 205 | Location: Canada | Registered: Aug 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For this type of purchase, I think a bottle of Veuve Cliquot NV champagne works well.

It is champagne (always nice to give for the holidays - very festive). The bottle is attractive and non-wine folks will be impressed. Wine geeks will still appreciate it (although possibly in their minds they might suggest other champagne producers they would rather have) - they won't feel slighted.

Posts: 6320 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy a case of Bollinger NV. Performing above its price point now, and if you have leftovers you'll be happy.

PH

Posts: 14651 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great suggestions by both Rothko and PH above, I would agree with. I personally like to give Champagne around the holidays, unless I know a person has a very specific like.

I think I might be able to help with the Pan, Pam dilemma

Posts: 725 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm not sure if champagne will be the best idea. I did that a few years back and it wasn't that well received. I, on the other hand, would love to receive a NV Bollinger!

Posts: 205 | Location: Canada | Registered: Aug 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go with the Tua Rita, the casual drinkers will enjoy it more than they might the Torrione. As for champagne, well not everyone drinks mimosas, and what else is it good for?

“The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.”—Winston Churchill”

Posts: 3470 | Location: Vermont | Registered: Sep 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Buy a case of Bollinger NV.
PH

Cool nuf said

Posts: 15125 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2010 Ridge Lytton Springs. At a little over $30 will be a nice wine to age.

Posts: 9281 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Frankly, buying Champagne for most non winos is like casting pearls before swine.

There are about twenty 2009 California Cabernets that WS has rated highly in the last year or so between 40-50 bucks.

Chappellet Signature
La Jota Howell Mtn
Terra Valentine Spring Mtn
Etc.

Non wine geeks know California Cab.

Buying Italian wine for anyone is a mistake, especially non-winos (or geeks with a palate). Cool

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
PH

Cool nuf said

Good call, but this is a $75 wine in our market. Frown

Italian would be the last thing I would buy for unknown palates. I'm sure your friends and clients could use Champagne around the house the next few weeks.

Posts: 29586 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
PH

Cool nuf said

Agree, but its currently in the 65-80$/bottle up here. But Champagne would be my choice as well...lots of good bottles in the 30-50$ range. Infact, opened and cooked with a bottle of Duval-Leroy Brut last night, at 25$/bottle....tough to beat that price IMO.

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

Posts: 2688 | Registered: Nov 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vt2It:
Go with the Tua Rita, the casual drinkers will enjoy it more than they might the Torrione. As for champagne, well not everyone drinks mimosas, and what else is it good for?

Crazy

PH

Posts: 14651 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:
Frankly, buying Champagne for most non winos is like casting pearls before swine.

There are about twenty 2009 California Cabernets that WS has rated highly in the last year or so between 40-50 bucks.

Chappellet Signature
La Jota Howell Mtn
Terra Valentine Spring Mtn
Etc.

Non wine geeks know California Cab.

Buying Italian wine for anyone is a mistake, especially non-winos (or geeks with a palate). Cool

+1; fully agree. Champagne or italian would be mistakes with non winos. Can't go wrong with Napa Cabs; it will be something closer to what they have experienced. Forget Pinot as well (although I love it).

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1469 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Merengue:
.....fully agree. Champagne ....would be mistakes with non winos.

I could not disagree with you guys more. I know plenty of non geeks who like Champagne, PLUS at this time of year there is a very good chance that the recepient will find at least one good occasion to open a bottle of bubbly and think of you when they do it. Really, when did Champagne become something that only serious winos could get into?

PH

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I could not disagree with you guys more. I know plenty of non geeks who like Champagne, PLUS at this time of year there is a very good chance that the recepient will find at least one good occasion to open a bottle of bubbly and think of you when they do it. Really, when did Champagne become something that only serious winos could get into?

PH

Plus...chicks dig it Banana

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

posted Hide Post
(ditto on the price of Bollinger--$65-$70 in my market, as well. I also agree with Duval-Leroy as an excellent QPR alternative. And I will +1 the concept of Champagne, in general)

How about this: Give a nice Champagne to your wino friends who would appreciate it, then give a Prosecco to those who might not? The Prosecco might defray the average cost, so some good friends could get a Bolly in their stocking, and you are still under budget. And, as marcb7 said, you have to think about the chicks...

Or, as an alternative, there are some really nice Chablis on the market right now, maybe a good 1er cru from Fevre, Billaud-Simon, Moreau, etc. might strike a chord with some folk? A nice German Spatlese might also have broad appeal.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 2894 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
quote:
quote:

PH

"60 Percent of the time, it works every time."

Posts: 6320 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
quote:
quote:
quote:

PH

"60 Percent of the time, it works every time."

Is that Chateaux Sex Panther Brut or BdB?

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

PH

You may be right, but i have plenty of non wino friends that associate champagne with weddings, graduations, etc not really Xmas or NYE. If i would give them champagne they would tuck it away till they get married, have kids, graduate etc. plus if they get a Bollinger, Veuve etc, or a Rose they would go like; is this good, no clue? dom Perignon, another story. On the other hand, they see Napa Cab and it is more familiar to them. They would take it to a dinner any weekend. I would only give champagne if the gift has an educational component to it, picked something for them to get introduced to champagnes. ph of course we probably hang around totally different crowds. Eek

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1469 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

PH
Since always really. You are looking at this from your perspective, not from the perspective of neophyte winos or a random group of differing experience.

Cal cab is the best choice for the random group described. The non winos will know what it is, and have familiarity with it, and the more experienced winos will also appreciate a decent bottle of cab.

IMHO, too many times we project what we would rather receive when a question like this is asked, and not what others would rather receive.

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Meringue - if you have friends who are so "not" into wine that they wouldn't correlate New Year's Eve and a bottle of Champagne you should probably just give them a gift certificate to Applebee's and call it a day. Wink

GA - For a non-wine lover I'd certainly head in a different direction than California Cabernet if Champagne were off the table. If we're going the "least common denominator" route, I'm thinking a bottle of innocuous white wine would probably be the most likely to be consumed.

PH

posted Hide Post
Like a Riesling or Yellow Tail Shiraz Wink.....Champagne is the way to go as I have not met anyone that turns down a glass of champagne, especially one in the 30-50$ price range. And with New Years just a week away...one less thing they need to buy for the occasion.... 2 Cents

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

posted Hide Post
and the last thing I would want to give someone, that could possibly "catch" the wine bug, is a big, bold, tannic cali cab...they certainly are not going to wait to drink it, or have the capability to store it until its ready to drink. Instant gratification is what most non wine geeks desire IMO

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Meringue - if you have friends who are so "not" into wine that they wouldn't correlate New Year's Eve and a bottle of Champagne you should probably just give them a gift certificate to Applebee's and call it a day. Wink

GA - For a non-wine lover I'd certainly head in a different direction than California Cabernet if Champagne were off the table. If we're going the "least common denominator" route, I'm thinking a bottle of innocuous white wine would probably be the most likely to be consumed.

PH
Friends don't give friends innocuous white wine. Razz

Did any of you see where the poster said this group (or a similar one) didn't receive the champagne gift well in the past? Crazy

--------------------

Marcel Ayme`

posted Hide Post
quote:
and the last thing I would want to give someone, that could possibly "catch" the wine bug, is a big, bold, tannic cali cab...they certainly are not going to wait to drink it, or have the capability to store it until its ready to drink. Instant gratification is what most non wine geeks desire IMO
Do you really think any of the wines I posted are bold tannic cabs? Had any modern Cali cabs of that price range lately. Razz

--------------------

Marcel Ayme`