WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Grace Family Vineyards
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grace Family Vineyards
 Login/Join 
posted
I just got an offer for their 2010 vintage. Didn't even realize I had signed up Smack

Can't seem to find much positive about this property in recent years. Seems expensive at $1350 for 4 bottles or $550 for 1000ml

Any thoughts?

Posts: 2272 | Location: Brights Grove Ontario | Registered: Jun 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never had it, but it looks like a big pass to me. It does not appear to appreciate in value at all. In fact, the auction prices for many vintages appear to be well below original cost.

Posts: 1280 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought the 1994 a couple years back and I recall it being quite nice. I think it was then when I signed up.

I'd rather look for back vintages. Big pass for me.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Brights Grove Ontario | Registered: Jun 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was highly sought after back in the day (like 10+ years ago) but not so much anymore. You can do much better with your money buying other wines in my opinion.

Posts: 2541 | Location: Danville, CA | Registered: Apr 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I received the same offer, and it was a definite pass.

The wine is decent. I've had a couple from the mid-80's & a few from the 90's. Keep in mind, Grace Family is readily available at auction for less than $150 per 750ml (and sometimes less than that).

Playing Devil's advocate, another factor to consider is the fact that the producer is actively engaged in charity work. A good bit of the proceeds from their wine go to charity, so that's the reason the wine is so expensive.

Posts: 1417 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:

Playing Devil's advocate, another factor to consider is the fact that the producer is actively engaged in charity work. A good bit of the proceeds from their wine go to charity, so that's the reason the wine is so expensive.

They also are well-known for donating numerous bottles to a variety of charity auctions.

Posts: 788 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: Aug 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very small production, typically sells out to the mailing list, and a more restrained, "Old World" style than is seen in most of the California cult big boys. They march to the beat of a different drummer and don't maintain the kind of profile some do, often not submitting for review, or participating in public tastings.

It's also very expensive.

I love the wine and buy every year while dropping off some other big ticket lists.

My recommendation is if this sounds like the kind of wine you like, pick up a bottle or two on the secondary market before going in on allocation purchases. Caveat... passing on this allocation may drop you from the list but my philosophy is there are always wines to buy.

-----------------------
Randy Sloan, Owner / Vintner / Filler of Fax Paper
Match Vineyards
http://www.MatchVineyards.com

Posts: 1691 | Location: Napa Valley and East Bay | Registered: Oct 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post