WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Soldera wine destroyed
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Soldera wine destroyed
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
60,000 liters equates to approx. 80,000 bottles of wine (assuming 750's). The retail value is roughly $16,000,000-$17,000,000. If his margins are 30-40% then the loss to the Soldera family is $5-7 million. Even if the wine loss is totally insured, then consider that 6 years of your life's work is gone. Truly tragic.

i'm at a loss with this concept

I'm pretty sure any major winery in the millions will have their stock insured so i'm sure he's probably going to get halfway between his cost and his retail price.

When you consider that you work to make money, in this particular situation it's 6 years of sales in a single day.

How's that tragic again?

Or is it tragic that we wine lovers will be missing 6 vintages of a particular wine?
Or are you saying that the past 6 years he was trying to build some kind of legacy where these last 6 vintages were never meant to be sold, but instead kepted in private family cellars? (which is that case, yes it would be tragic)

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 10941 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
60,000 liters equates to approx. 80,000 bottles of wine (assuming 750's). The retail value is roughly $16,000,000-$17,000,000. If his margins are 30-40% then the loss to the Soldera family is $5-7 million. Even if the wine loss is totally insured, then consider that 6 years of your life's work is gone. Truly tragic.

I'm pretty sure any major winery in the millions will have their stock insured so i'm sure he's probably going to get halfway between his cost and his retail price.

When you consider that you work to make money, in this particular situation it's 6 years of sales in a single day.

How's that tragic again?

Or is it tragic that we wine lovers will be missing 6 vintages of a particular wine?
Or are you saying that the past 6 years he was trying to build some kind of legacy where these last 6 vintages were never meant to be sold, but instead kepted in private family cellars? (which is that case, yes it would be tragic)
G-man, if you have met the family and toured the cellar and garden/vineyard/ecosystem then you would understand what a tragedy it is for the family. They work real hard in the vineyard to make a truly great wine that they could easily sell out for more than double what is currently charged. The fact that his customers will not be able to enjoy these wines has to be crushing to this family.

Posts: 6217 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:

G-man, if you have met the family and toured the cellar and garden/vineyard/ecosystem then you would understand what a tragedy it is for the family. They work real hard in the vineyard to make a truly great wine that they could easily sell out for more than double what is currently charged. The fact that his customers will not be able to enjoy these wines has to be crushing to this family.

+1

Posts: 29499 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:

How's that tragic again?

true, it certainly easier to relate once they're on a personal level.

I was simply speaking from my standpoint in my particular industry, I've personally seen tons of insurance frauds/scams/ponzi schemes where someone was just looking to cash out for retirement. My dad has also been a victim of a ponzi scheme where the individual running the scheme was 72 years old and my dad's reasoning for going in on the investment was "oh he's 72 yr old why would he run a scam". Simply call me the pessimistic new yawker

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 10941 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a waste of vinegar!

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36395 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting that he was one of the strong supporters and agitators for keeping Brunello and Rosso di Montalcino 100% sangiovese against the wishes of some of the big producers. He is also reputed to be one of the people who brought the brunellogate saga to the attention of the authorities.
So......

Posts: 95 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: May 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand it may have been an ex employee.

Obviously extremely unhappy but why?

Still tragic

Posts: 95 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: May 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe he tasted the wine and was a humanitarian.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36395 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Maybe he tasted the wine and was a humanitarian.

Winner

Posts: 6116 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some news from Italy (sorry, it's in Italian)

Corriere della Sera

Basically, an ex-employee at the vinery has been arrested. Apparently the reason for this absurd action is because another employee had been preferred to him when a small flat at disposal of the company had to be assigned, plus some other laughable reason on the same line.

Posts: 91 | Location: Piedmont | Registered: Jan 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 910 | Location: East of England | Registered: Jul 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post