WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Soldera wine destroyed
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Soldera wine destroyed
 Login/Join 
posted
Saw on Twitter that someone broke into the cellar of Gianfranco Soldera in Montalcino and opened the taps on all of his barrels and spilled every vintage from 2007 to 2012 onto the floor for a complete loss.

http://dobianchi.com/

Posts: 529 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If true, that is a tragedy

Posts: 5925 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1112 | Location: Gig Harbor, WA | Registered: Apr 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Holy cow.

I can't imagine such a thing.

"What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the red wine of Shiraz into urine?" -Isak Dinesen

Posts: 1287 | Location: Chico, CA | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not saying it isn't true, but would the 2007 already be bottled?

Posts: 1112 | Location: Gig Harbor, WA | Registered: Apr 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. This would be a real tragedy if true, whether the damage includes the 2007 vintage or not.

Posts: 793 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They bottle on their own schedule IIRC

Posts: 5925 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if organized crime truly played a role in this like the article has speculated...

Posts: 216 | Location: Canada | Registered: Aug 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have words... Frown

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Posts: 3949 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: Jan 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ugh..... Crazy

PH

Posts: 15056 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Obviously did not want to pay the "distribution" tax.

Posts: 486 | Location: Morgan Hill, CA | Registered: Jun 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, can't imagine how they feel.

Posts: 486 | Location: Sierra Nevada mountains | Registered: Nov 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Geez, they could've just used a horse's head on their mattress to send a message.

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sounds like a good retirement plan to me.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11973 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
g-man, you think Soldera did this to themselves? I doubt it and hope they find the criminals.

Posts: 176 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Dec 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Incredible. There are no words.
If it was organized crime, it's likely the culprits will never pay.

A father is someone who has pictures where his money used to be.

Posts: 6782 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know this winemaker. A great tragedy anyway you want to look at it. Yes the 2007 Brunello and the 2007 Riserva would already be bottled.

I feel for all involved. Not sure if I can grasp the thought of stand over merchants in Montalcino.

Posts: 100 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: May 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the repubblica today, confirming the report by the owner. The article does not give much detail, however.

Posts: 1083 | Location: East of England | Registered: Jul 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
F%$#ing unbelievable

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6298 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
still whats the motivation

i dont get

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11973 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Presumably pay us protection (or whatever they are calling it) or else - and this was the or else

posted Hide Post
But in a post published today by the Consorzio del Vino Brunello di Montalcino, the mayor of Montlacino, Silvio Franceshelli, is quoted as saying that, "any allusion to phenomena that bear the mark of the mafia are entirely imaginary."

Devil's advocate.

the guy is what 68? maybe he's tired of being a farmer/winemaker. take that insurance payout and live out the life selling older vintages of soldera that wans't dumped and enjoying his time on the almafi coast.

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
I have the district pleasure to meet with Gianfranco Soldera on 3 separate occasions. I have also met his daughter Monica as well. I have been treated to several older vintages of Case Basse (incl. the inaugural 1975 vintage). I can say that I can only imagine the heartache that the entire family would have felt when this heinous act was uncovered. Gianfranco tasted his wines daily from the botti and always said the wine would tell him when it was ready to be bottled. He normally had 5-6 vintages in botti and I am not sure if the 2007 would have been bottled or not since the last vintages have been released as Riservas. Say what you will about Soldera (eccentric, genious, curmudgeon, nut) the man has made beautiful wine and did not deserve to have his wine lost in this manner. We are all losers in this event.

Posts: 2178 | Location: Virginia | Registered: Aug 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only met the 2 of them once and Gianfranco only briefly but this is saddening. Those huge wood tanks are unique - as are the wall nets filled with rocks and boulders

posted Hide Post
60,000 liters equates to approx. 80,000 bottles of wine (assuming 750's). The retail value is roughly $16,000,000-$17,000,000. If his margins are 30-40% then the loss to the Soldera family is $5-7 million. Even if the wine loss is totally insured, then consider that 6 years of your life's work is gone. Truly tragic.

Posts: 2178 | Location: Virginia | Registered: Aug 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post