WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Maucaillou Bordeaux Supérieur 1973
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maucaillou Bordeaux Supérieur 1973
 Login/Join 
posted
I was offered a case of Maucaillou Bordeaux Superieure 1973. I know it is past it's peak, but I was wondering if it is worth purchasing. The bottles have always been stored under optimal conditions and are in perfect condition.

As I can't find any info about older vintages of Maucaillou Bordeaux Supérieur or about its value I was wondering what you think the value of six bottles would be and if it is worth buying.

Posts: 2 | Location: The Netherlands | Registered: Dec 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is the Maucaillou a Cru Bourgeois from Moulis-en-Medoc ? Maybe it used to be a Bordeaux Superieur...

dzitt

Posts: 882 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Registered: Dec 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1973 is my birth year. Last time I asked whether ANY bordeaux would be a good buy to celebrate my 40th next year, very experienced forumites told me to run away faster than Forrest Gump.

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1597 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 73 Ch. Kirwan Margaux a few years back that I found to be very good, even if the Chateau's people told me to run from it. For the price paid (30$ for one bottle), thought I had nothing to loose, and thankfully, it showed well. Even did a TN here I think...

dzitt

Posts: 882 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Registered: Dec 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Merengue:
1973 is my birth year. Last time I asked whether ANY bordeaux would be a good buy to celebrate my 40th next year, very experienced forumites told me to run away faster than Forrest Gump.

Here's the TN: 73 Kirwan

dzitt

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dzitt:
quote:
Originally posted by Merengue:

Here's the TN: 73 Kirwan

dzitt

Thanks for the note. Cool I am waiting for my first "oldie" next year. I will be a Ridge Montebello though.

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1597 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sander:
I was offered a case of Maucaillou Bordeaux Superieure 1973. I know it is past it's peak, but I was wondering if it is worth purchasing. The bottles have always been stored under optimal conditions and are in perfect condition.

As I can't find any info about older vintages of Maucaillou Bordeaux Supérieur or about its value I was wondering what you think the value of six bottles would be and if it is worth buying.

No, run away. In perfect condition this will still be crap

Go Habs Go

Posts: 5565 | Location: Chicago | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your replies! I ran away from it, this is what Chateau Maucaillou had to say about it:

Thank you for your interest in our productions.
We are not at the origin of this wine and can give you more information about it.
We don't know this Wine Merchant and Château Maucaillou is a Moulis en Médoc and not a Bordeaux Supérieur.
Given the uncertain provenance and the truly exceptional vintage (!), I think it is better to make your investment on a much newer Château Maucaillou.
I remain at your disposal.

Posts: 2 | Location: The Netherlands | Registered: Dec 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grossie:
quote:
Originally posted by Sander:

No, run away. In perfect condition this will still be crap

A huge +1! The 1973s were tired by 1980 and most, if not all, have been dead for decades

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36844 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you dont find a convincing 1973, i'd suggest a 40 year old Tawny Port instead, or a 40 year old Madeira.

Pereira d'Oliveira has produced some vintage 1973 Madeira

Fortnum&Mason in London has/had some "over 40 year" Boal from Barbeito.

40 year old Tawny is available from many of the fameous Port houses, Taylor's, Noval, Graham's, Delaforce, Portal, ...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MoselleLuxemburg,

There is nothing in our intelligence that has not passed by the senses. (Aristoteles)

Posts: 1908 | Location: Luxemburg | Registered: Nov 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post