WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    FRENCH WINE SUCKS!
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FRENCH WINE SUCKS!
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
G&P N,
I always like the way You get this crowd moving and tuning in.
But it’s not the right topictitle. Should it not be named more accurate, if you would have stated “My pallet is an American pallet bored by the sugar that they fed me since I was born”

Probably the reason why you don’t understand French wines?

Roland

"Vinum Vita Est!"

Posts: 217 | Location: Leiden; Zuid Holland, Netherlands | Registered: Jan 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, tlily, sorry for imposing, but what are my chances of being invited to this Brett Fest you are planning?

Posts: 304 | Location: on assignment | Registered: Jun 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gator1993:
ffrp,

I don't doubt french wines are good, however when the QPR argument comes out.....please, please show me the way

Please show me a cheaper french wine that can compete with these two Chilean (my favs) from the 2001 vintage

2001 Clos Apalta $55

2001 Don Melchor $40

The prices are what I bought both of these for...Clos Apalta in 12/04 Pembroke Pines, FL ABC Fine Wines & Spirits

2000 Reserve de Comtesse, Pauillac $36.99 - KL Wines, San Francisco. Even cheaper!

For example, and this from the ultra, supa-dupa hyped 2000 Bordeaux vintage. I'll take this second wine from Pichon Lalande over Chilean wine anyday. (And by the way, I like Chilean wine, but it has a way to go before it reaches - if ever - the quality of French wine.)

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your future plans. -Woody Allen

Posts: 261 | Location: Madrid, Spain | Registered: May 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob St.Clair:
Hey, tlily, sorry for imposing, but what are my chances of being invited to this Brett Fest you are planning?
Do you own boxing gloves? Cool

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bob,

Not bad, I love boxing, although I'm more a drop the gloves, bare knuckles guy myself. You can email me paul@hockeyguy.com

Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com

Posts: 7679 | Location: Gilroy, CA  | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sacre Bleu, Gol Damn!!! Is this thread getting noticed!

Fact seems to be that even the French think their wine sucks. Last blind tasting of France against the world I read about occurred a few years back. Seems there were about thirty top notch white burgs, a cupla Italian chards, two Aussies and one Napa. Only tasters allowed were Gallic. Results: Robert Mondavi Reserve won, and the two aussies were in the top five. Heard French have outlawed blind tasting since.
Not to mention 1976 and the reprise in '96.

Only place, I've ever seen french wines win convincingly in blind taste tests is England, and ... well ... Bless the English. As Peter Ustinov used to say, "I have to go back to England and eat the cuisine every few years just to remind myself how awful it is".

What some call health, if purchased by perpetual anxiety about diet, isn't much better than tedious disease. Alexander Pope

Posts: 449 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tlily:
Bob,

Not bad, I love boxing, although I'm more a drop the gloves, bare knuckles guy myself. You can email me paul@hockeyguy.com
Who are you kidding. You like to hit people with curved sticks. Smile

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Only place, I've ever seen french wines win convincingly in blind taste tests is England, and ... well ... Bless the English. As Peter Ustinov used to say, "I have to go back to England and eat the cuisine every few years just to remind myself how awful it is".

Having gone on record to say that I enjoy many French wines but just can't "get" Bordeaux, it strikes me that if I'm gonna hate on any nationality it should be the British, 'cause they basically created the market for claret, no? Wink

Maybe I'll never understand Bdx until I match it up with a good hearty plate of authentic gourmet British food... Mutton anyone?

Posts: 2502 | Location: L.A. | Registered: Mar 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not a slasher Wink I haven't actually beat anyone up in almost a year.

Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com

Posts: 7679 | Location: Gilroy, CA  | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to warn you, I don't need no stinky gloves as I was quite good at sports, especially chess and sprinting. And i've been doing Tai Chi in the park for the last 3 months. Who's a slasher now, punks? I'm coming over for sure.

I hear Mrs.tlily is quite a looker. Wink Wink

Posts: 304 | Location: on assignment | Registered: Jun 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tlily - need to warn you that I've only lost one fight in my life and that was when I slipped going around a corner

What some call health, if purchased by perpetual anxiety about diet, isn't much better than tedious disease. Alexander Pope

Posts: 449 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Team Geriatrics vs. The Hockey Puck and what's his name, the one with the hairball palate. It will be the best show your village has ever seen, tlily.

And lots and lots of alligators too, for the kids.

posted Hide Post
I've seen Paul. You must really want an ass beating. LOL.

Of course I weigh in at around 130.

Should I bring you some boxing gloves Bob? I have a pretty good idea what size they should be if your hands are in proportion to the rest of your anatomy.

Small. Cool

I won't even go into where the hairball came from Bob. I'm sure you know. Eek Smile

--------------------

Marcel Ayme`

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:
Should I bring you some boxing gloves Bob?

Aren't you always wearing a pair? That might explain your less than exciting posts.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bob St.Claire,

posted Hide Post
You guys better not mess with me. I'm a whiz at Tiddlywinks! Big Grin

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36944 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GreenDrazi:
casimir,
Actually, I'm sure most of us can accept the differences, just not the prices anymore.

p.s. When will the French learn to accept people just trying to speak French and not "proper French"? hhhmmm?

Well, please don't speak about the prices. This is completely over now.
The American's wines are just growing since 30 or 40 years, the prices are like that because the estates are young.
As an example please tke the
- Harlan Estate
- Screaming Eagle
- Sine Qua non
- Bryant Family
- MAya
- Montelena
- Marcassin

I can promise you that this wines will cost a lot in 20 or 40 years.

This is the same for te Franch wines, but the "reputation" is taken into account. That's all. They are so old vineyard, you can't have the same prices.

Mouton young vintages starts as the USA ones.
You can only speak about Burgundy with the wines of DRC and Lalou Bize Leroy and then I'm ok, these wines are over-priced.

What do you really think about it ?
Am I wrong ?

Posts: 20 | Registered: Oct 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes.

What about Dunn? That wine eemplifies true greatness (and ageability) in American wine. It is easy to just name the high-priced wines --

What about La Tache, DRC? See -- this game is easy.

-----------------------
Je ne peux pas penser à une signature intelligente

Posts: 3110 | Location: ATL, GA | Registered: Jan 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Golf&Pinot Nut

You've beendrinking way too much American wine.I think it is time to stop the wine drinking and start with the basics again. We'll start off with grape flavoured Koolaid to begin the treatment, increasing the dosage slowly to include some real grape juice. Once you start to remembering what grape juice tastes like again, hey, then maybe we'll let you back to drinking wine again. Big Grin

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6618 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great topic!

No need to get the Brits involved, just carry on hating the French and their terribly overpriced disgusting wines.

Not wanting to learn foreign languages is a plus too: you will never have to understand a French wine label, so you'll be put off perpetually by the risk of opening a bottle with a controlley appalashion.

And while you're at it: Denominaciòn de Origen Ribera del Duero is much too difficult for you too. As is Brunello di Montalcino Denominazione di Origine Controllata e Garantita.
Italians and Spaniards are latin, like the French. Hate them too!

And with 220 000 000 dry throats lavished exclusively by sugar soaked West Coast fruit juice, us civilised old world wine lovers will watch classified growths and the likes (in other words: the best wines in the world) getting affordable again.
For us.

Thanks again, G&PN!

Posts: 1155 | Location: Boechout, Belgium | Registered: Dec 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nicollo Machiavelli:
G&P N,
I always like the way You get this crowd moving and tuning in.
But it’s not the right topictitle. Should it not be named more accurate, if you would have stated “My pallet is an American pallet bored by the sugar that they fed me since I was born”

Isn't it the French that need to add sugar to make up for the lack of good weather?

quote:
Probably the reason why you don’t understand French wines?

What is there to understand? Not much to them in my experience.

Quote:
"Waiter, I would like a new bottle please, there is something wrong with this one, it smells French."

I over heard that just the other week, thought it would apply. >Smile

ô¿ô
Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Posts: 17 | Registered: Feb 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well put, DannyBoy.

Rik -- if American stopped buying Frnech wine, I suspect there'd be quite a few French houses that would go out of business.

-----------------------
Je ne peux pas penser à une signature intelligente

Posts: 3110 | Location: ATL, GA | Registered: Jan 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And alot more bulk wine each year being sold off to hide a vintage.

ô¿ô
Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Posts: 17 | Registered: Feb 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rik:
Great topic!

No need to get the Brits involved, just carry on hating the French and their terribly overpriced disgusting wines.

Not wanting to learn foreign languages is a plus too: you will never have to understand a French wine label, so you'll be put off perpetually by the risk of opening a bottle with a controlley appalashion.

And while you're at it: Denominaciòn de Origen Ribera del Duero is much too difficult for you too. As is Brunello di Montalcino Denominazione di Origine Controllata e Garantita.
Italians and Spaniards are latin, like the French. Hate them too!

And with 220 000 000 dry throats lavished exclusively by sugar soaked West Coast fruit juice, us civilised old world wine lovers will watch classified growths and the likes (in other words: the best wines in the world) getting affordable again.
For us.

Thanks again, G&PN!

Exactly...

_________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 3147 | Location: Cowboys Stadium | Registered: Feb 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GPN,
I feel the same way. I have tried some of the French "Superior" wines, Petrus, Ch. Latour, and I just don't get it. People go on and on about the French wines and how much better they are and in my humble opinion, I can name ten California wines that have better structure, balance and I don't have to wait 20 years to drink. Everytime I try a french wine, it is the same thing; "This wine needs to lay down another 10 years". It would have been alright if I bought the stuff when I was 10 years old, that way I could drink something decent now.

Call me inpatient, biased, whatever, but I will take my money and keep buying my high-grade Cali-Cult wines.

GF

PS All the labels look the same... Get someone over their with a little imagination.

I'm not a bad person, I just do bad things - Ted Bundy

Posts: 101 | Location: SoCal | Registered: Mar 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoy several french wines. I have recently purchased some Burgundies (wide range) and 2nd wines from Bordeaux, along w/ some CdP's for cellaring... however I did my research and the drinking windows on my purchases are not too long.

Mrs. LJ and I have also enjoyed several drinkers from France lately too. White Burgundies and Loires (Sancerre's & Pouilly Fumes) can be found for very reasonable prices, and are a pleasure to drink. For reds, several CdR's and some red Burgundies can be found at great prices and offer tons of complexity and fruit.

The french QPRs are interesting to me... especially the reds. I have been SO bored with Cali QPRs lately... even stuff like the '02 Worthy Sophia's Cuvee... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...

However, I still enjoy Cali wines. Some of the top Cab producers are OUTSTANDING... and I still love a good cali Sauvignon Blanc.

I do agree that the labeling is a bit weird in the old world, but once you figure it out, it's not that different from our labels. You all know what "Rutherford dust" means, and that Howell Mtn and Mt. Veeder produce crazy tannins... this carries over to certain regions w/ the french labels... it is especially helpful w/ Burgundy.

Ultimately, as we all know, your palate determines your purchases. There are some universal factors with wine that I think hold true, despite people's insistance on personal taste, however, if you like fruit bombs, then buy fruit bombs. If you like different flavors, go after those. No big deal.

LJ

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post