WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    FRENCH WINE SUCKS!
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FRENCH WINE SUCKS!
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pape du neuf:
PS- W+A,
Where do you think they have all gone?

I'm still here.

Posts: 2645 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: Feb 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I could say the same thing about Rhone styles in general. Just never worked on my palate... I went to Tablas Creek in Paso a few years back - THE MECCA - for the U.S. Rhone Rangers as it was explained to me and everything tasted like chewy dirt! I love syrah made in that more balanced bordeaux style, but pretty much all of the true "Rhone Style" wines that have been introduced to me, just turn me off. Sorry, I know sacrilege and all...

Posts: 74 | Location: Tempe, AZ | Registered: Jun 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry - Syrah in the Bordeaux style?

Posts: 5545 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Today for Bastille Day I had a California Cab.

99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.

Posts: 7202 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New Doug's definitions: Syrah - Bourdeaux style

Should have said Napa interpretation of Bourdeaux varietal styles Wink Lighter, delicate fruit profile (instead of a fruit bomb), integrated acids/tannins, and when they get it right silky, sensuous mouth-feel. No - chewy, earthy, over-the-top fruit with high alcohol.

The best "experience" tasting wine in my life has been with these kind of syrahs. Other varietals have tasted better, but OMG, syrah can be like $ex in a glass for me!

Posts: 74 | Location: Tempe, AZ | Registered: Jun 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, that last post...

Can't stop thinking about the last Syrah I tasted like that - Viader, aaaaaaaaaaaaaah! They are pricey though!

posted Hide Post
French cheese is pretty suspect too....

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3502 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damn Bill, nice dumpster dive. Things a little slow this week?

-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth

Posts: 8894 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't make me fondle Hunter's Meatballs!

Posts: 5545 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
Don't make me fondle Hunter's Meatballs!

We need to get Hunter back posting more again.

Posts: 30367 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my all time favorite topics ...

Especially when it comes to secondary characteristics of Bordeaux ....

Comment # 1 .... this tastes of leather ....

My comment .... go to a furniture store a lick a couch

Comment # 2 .... this smells like tobacco and cigar box

My comment ..... I have never had a Cuban cigar that tastes this bad

Comment # 3 ... this will take 20 years to come around

My comment: If the grapes were ripe enough in the first place it would not take that long

Posts: 809 | Registered: Aug 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! This thread is surreal. The very concept of the thread so flies in the face of all wine-loving logic that it boggles the mind. The overt political bent of it is simply hilarious. There is so much here, so much good theater. Made better for being people's honest thoughts? I don't know, but totally amusing nonetheless.

Posts: 477 | Registered: Mar 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sleepyhaus:
Wow! This thread is surreal. The very concept of the thread so flies in the face of all wine-loving logic that it boggles the mind. The overt political bent of it is simply hilarious. There is so much here, so much good theater. Made better for being people's honest thoughts? I don't know, but totally amusing nonetheless.

You need to know/ understand Golf&PinotNut, ( loves to stir the pot just for fun) and how this thread was in reaction to others back so many years ago. Wink

Posts: 30367 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can see a bit of that in here, and was quite aware that this is a very old thread, but regardless, just reading along and seeing the flow of the "conversation" here was quite interesting and amusing.

posted Hide Post
the best part is that you can tell that some posters are aware that they are being trolled, but JUST CAN'T HELP THEMSELVES! and they respond anyway.

G

PS - I like French wine and french women - but not french cars. (see - it even got me)

Posts: 2104 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thirsty man:
the best part is that you can tell that some posters are aware that they are being trolled, but JUST CAN'T HELP THEMSELVES! and they respond anyway.

G

PS - I like French wine and french women - but not french cars. (see - it even got me)

Big Grin

Have you ever met G&PN?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thirsty man:

G

I like French fashion, wine, and bugatti, if we're talking cars. French women... eh. I'll gladly take a czech girl... Or even Spanish or Italian over them any day.

The Dude abides.

Posts: 3093 | Location: San Francisco and Taipei | Registered: Jun 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

DING DING DING!!!!

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13658 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I get that the OP is some sort of joke, although an odd one that leaves me, now knowing the poster better, uncertain as to whether his actual feelings are opposite the statements or whether there is some kernel of truth. But the surreal part comes from things like this:

quote:
Originally posted by fine137:
I spend a good deal of time in France on business and I do, in general despise the French. I have met many and liked few. Really, they are just unpleasant people. Deep down they are jealous of the U.S and it disturbs them to the point of reaction formation, a psychological term which basically means hate what you are subconciously drawn to. Ultimately, the French
want to matter on a global scale, but sadly they don't and never will.

Also French wine really is quite bad with few exceptions. One of them being Sauternes.

Perhaps this too is sarcasm, but if so it comes across rather poorly in this sort of communication.

Lots of amusement, as I said. Glad someone dug this up. Also interesting to look back at old price quotes.

posted Hide Post
Sleepyhaus, I really wish you wold stop posting such thoughtful, well-reasoned and sensible comments. You're taking all the fun out of this thread!! Wink

Posts: 2951 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! What a thread. I'm by no means a seasoned French wine drinker, but there are two things frequently said about France and its wines that annoy me more than anything:

1) When people argue against the economics of price as if chateaus are supposed to lower their prices just so people who can't currently afford them can afford them. I wonder if I can get Apple to do the same with the iPhone...because everyone needs a phone right?!

2) When people impugn entire cultures for anything, much less the perceived over-hyping of their wine.

Posts: 108 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Feb 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i agree with this thread,

yesterday i was going to buy a chardonnay at my lws, looking for chocàlan or something like this, so i ask an employee.

NO MORE he said to me, so he advice me a chardonnay from France, then i said : they made chardonnay in France???

so imagine the surprise, les clous 2009 from an unknown producer de vilains, it was horrible: no corn flavor, acid, mineral and just a bit buttery, and the most horrible part of it, it was dry, just like G&pn said, so i ask for a refund.

beware of french wines. No good at all.

Posts: 16 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Mar 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mauzac:

so he advice me a chardonnay from France, then i said : they made chardonnay in France???

Chardonnay in France? Oh no he didn't...

Posts: 3608 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had no idea you guys had dredged this up. Had I known, I probably would've waited a few weeks before posting this over on the WB website.

-----------------------
Je ne peux pas penser à une signature intelligente

Posts: 3110 | Location: ATL, GA | Registered: Jan 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Golf&PinotNut:
I had no idea you guys had dredged this up. Had I known, I probably would've waited a few weeks before posting this over on the WB website.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 3214 | Location: ATL | Registered: Mar 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post