WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    FRENCH WINE SUCKS!
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FRENCH WINE SUCKS!
 Login/Join 
posted
I know that I'm going to get a bunch of noses out of joint here, but in my opinion, on the whole, French wine sucks.

First of all, it is way too dry for me. Even the CdP's are too dry for me. I was at a Francophile's house over Christmas -- he handed me a glass of the "good stuff." I drank it, and then asked for something a little fruitier. He then opened something else, and it, too, was dry as a bone.

Next, it is WAY too expensive. The very best Califronia wines run around $175/bottle. The very best French wines run around $1000/bottle. To me, this is not a result of a product that is seven times better. Please!

The really good stuff takes too damned long to be "ready to drink." We can't all have the palate of DRAB, and I'm just not patient enough.

I can't read the labels.

The whole Controllee Appelation mess (whatever the hell you call it) is a joke. Why is it that there are fifth growths that are far better than some of the first growths?

Government control -- bad idea!

I should disclose my bias -- I don't really like French people either. Now, generally speaking, most of the French people who are involved in the wine industry are pretty cool and I'd love to have them over to my house for dinner. But in the final analysis, when I think of French people, I'm thinking they're all a bunch of Jacques Chiracs. Hard to separate my distaste for the French with their wine.

And when it comes right down to it, the taste of the wine just doesn't do it for me. I mean, a nicely aged bordeaux is "fine," but that's really it -- just "fine." I'd rather have a young CaliCab than a six year old Bordeaux. And I'd rather have anything Aussie, an OR or WA pinot, or a Argentinian malbec.

And as G-Dead points out below, French wines are corked 2-3 times more often than California wines.

So -- there it is......

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Golf&PinotNut,

-----------------------
Je ne peux pas penser à une signature intelligente

Posts: 3110 | Location: ATL, GA | Registered: Jan 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You better duck pal.

Posts: 7448 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uh oh....

Posts: 1500 | Location: Dem Hills, CA | Registered: Jan 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Golf&Pinot Nut:

... it is way to dry for me. ..

What is this? Embarrass yourself in public week?

Posts: 304 | Location: on assignment | Registered: Jun 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bring it on

actually I forgrot to mention

The views expressed in this thread are solely those of the writers and do not express the opinions of the wine-drinking types that work at Wine Spectator.

-----------------------

Posts: 3110 | Location: ATL, GA | Registered: Jan 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It will be fun to pull this thread up next year when he does another wine switch and changes his handle to "Golf&Bordeaux Nut"

Posts: 7448 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there something with the moon today? Whatever it is, I love it!

Posts: 2259 | Location: Napa | Registered: Oct 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hunter --

Considering my current proclivities, I think "Golf&Burgundy Nut" would be more likely.

-----------------------

posted Hide Post
I kind of like the rant...I actually just had my first bottle of french wine in a few years this past weekend...a CdP...really as a comparison to the February TAA wine

Patrick Lesec Selections CdP Marquis 2001

Vs.

Rosemount GSM

Well....the french CdP was not too dry for me...actually was very fruit forward...really liked it, but for $7 less....I'll buy more of the Rosemount

"I'm going back to gator country where the wine and the women are free" - Molly Hatchet

Posts: 3136 | Location: Valrico, Florida | Registered: Jan 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd rather have a young CaliCab than a six year old Bordeaux.

That's my favorite part. P-nut it's only March 1, still a month for April fools.

Go Habs Go

Posts: 5516 | Location: Chicago | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well said and I totally agree, but with 2 exceptions.

1) Alsatian wine. In any event the Alsatians are not French, they may speak French and they may be governed from Paris, but they are NOT French.
2) Champagne. As much as I don't like to admit it Champagne is still king of the white fizzy drinks.

Another thing I'd add to the list
- The climate is too variable and you have to watch out for dog vintages full of undrinkable wine, along with it's related partner of the French practice of using good vintages to ratchet up the price of bad vintages.

It was my Uncle George who discovered that alcohol was a food well in advance of modern medical thought. - P. G. Wodehouse

Posts: 3461 | Location: Brisbane, Qld, Australia | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thoroughly enjoy French wines - back in the ‘80s.

Posts: 5241 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jun 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The benckmark sucks?

Only death is free, and even that costs you your life

Posts: 1905 | Registered: Apr 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
don't forget to add in the part about it being really hard to find affordable Burdundy that tastes good

Posts: 2598 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: Dec 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Golf&Pinot Nut:
Hunter --

Considering my current proclivities, I think "Golf&Burgundy Nut" would be more likely.

Ummm, errr, excuse me, but I think somehow, maybe? that Burgundy is in France? No?

Posts: 520 | Location: Michigan | Registered: Jan 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Golf&Pinot, you have definitely hung yourself out to dry on this one, my friend. While I have been very frustrated with the rising costs of French wines lately, I must say that when it comes to my own experiences in wine drinking the finest Pinot, Chardonnay, dessert wine, Sauvignon Blanc, and sparkling wine I have tasted have all been French. When you read reviews for some of the better California wines you often see comparisons made to the finest French wines. France pretty much has the benchmark for fine wine world-wide. Yeah, the aoc is confusing as hell, yes their methods are a little odd, yes some of their wines do cost $1,000/bottle, but when it comes to setting the mark for the finest wines produced, France pretty much takes it in all categories....

Posts: 458 | Registered: Oct 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I admire your guts Roll Eyes

I keep thinking that my affinity for New World Wine is just because I have never had a real great French wine? Confused

Posts: 1046 | Location: Granite Bay & Newport Beach, California | Registered: Nov 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
the finest Pinot, Chardonnay, dessert wine, Sauvignon Blanc, and sparkling wine I have tasted have all been French

FSU...damn good thing I dont drink any of this swill Big Grin

Of course...I do love Port (not french)

The Gator has spoken and the Seminoles lost Big Grin

I had to say it...LOL

However I do want to know...when is the '01 Don Melchor arriving...I found a bottle a some small Pembroke Pines store while visiting my sister...so I've been tempted by the nector...and looking to ABCFWS to provide more..hehehe

"I'm going back to gator country where the wine and the women are free" - Molly Hatchet

Posts: 3136 | Location: Valrico, Florida | Registered: Jan 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I keep thinking that my affinity for New World Wine is just because I have never had a real great French wine?
I've had what others would consider excellent fine French wines before but yet I prefer New World stuff. I believe that in order to enjoy aged French wine it is a taste that must be acquired.

Posts: 6117 | Location: Cloud 9 | Registered: Mar 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FSUwineguy

I'll bet that if you take a 10 year verticle of Grange or Screagle and pit that against a 10 year verticle from any 1st growth chateau that the Grange or Screagle will have a higher average rating.

Another thing that bugs me is that when people defend French wine they always talk about 1st growths, Y'dquem and the great champagne houses, they never want to talk about the vin ordinaire.

It was my Uncle George who discovered that alcohol was a food well in advance of modern medical thought. - P. G. Wodehouse

Posts: 3461 | Location: Brisbane, Qld, Australia | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With regards to my last post and all things being said in this thread, Sauternes are still untouchable.

Posts: 5241 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jun 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But they aren't a great match with Chocolate....and If I'm gonna have a dessert...its gonna include Chocolate

posted Hide Post
This is one of the ___________ threads(fill in), and the original poster knows it pretty well. Like toasted breadcrumbs on the moonless night, it brings the catfish out.

Posts: 304 | Location: on assignment | Registered: Jun 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
it brings the catfish out

Assuming fresh water...fry em up and have a good dinner

posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't read the labels.

I have the same problem. I would like to venture into Old World wines, but even if I tried something I liked, it would be difficult for me to remember the wine, nevertheless pronounce and spell it to find the same bottle again.

Posts: 6117 | Location: Cloud 9 | Registered: Mar 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post