WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    January 2012: What are you drinking?
Page 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

January 2012: What are you drinking?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Julie D (AKA Brunello De Ville):
How was the Sonoma Coast Patz & Hall? I just bought a bottle of that yesterday.

Julie, sorry I missed you on my last visit.

I opened these wines because I had friends over that enjoy Cali Pinot. I only had about half a glass of each, but enjoyed both. For the money, I would go with the Sonoma Coast.

I think you will enjoy the wine.

Posts: 30028 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mareff:
2008 Rasteau Cotes Du Rhone
1998 Ornellaia

Mareff, what did you think of the Ornellaia?
thank in advance.

Posts: 1591 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2008 Stonestreet Gravel Bench Chardonnay- outstanding!

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36759 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2010 donnhoff kabinett

Posts: 1291 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: Feb 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2010 Melville Viognier

Apostrophes don't make things plural.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Houston | Registered: Apr 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1998 Castello Banfi Brunello do Montalcino

Posts: 1554 | Location: Pacific Palisades, CA | Registered: Feb 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2007 Williams Selyem Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir - excellent bottle, so silky and elegant that is well balanced and not "fruit in your face" style of Cali Pinot.

Posts: 2542 | Location: Danville, CA | Registered: Apr 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2007 Paul Achs, Blaufrankisch, Altenberg

Posts: 10019 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2009 Terras Gauda Rías Baixas O Rosal
2008 Acústic Cellar Montsant Vinyes Velles Nobles
2006 Conterno Fantino Barbera d'Alba Vignota
2008 Renzo Masi Chianti Riserva
2005 Tua Rita Perlato del Bosco

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6059 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2009 Small Vines Wines Pinot Noir
2008 Rhys Pinot Noir Alpine Vineyard

Posts: 3631 | Location: Germantown TN | Registered: May 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2006 Quilceda Creek Cabernet Sauvignon
2009 Argyle Riesling

Posts: 3127 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
quote:
Originally posted by mareff:
2008 Rasteau Cotes Du Rhone
1998 Ornellaia

Mareff, what did you think of the Ornellaia?
thank in advance.

we decanted it for 2 hours, and it was complex with ample fruit and subtle tannins. I think that the decant helped and found the wine to be drinking quite well at this point with some years ahead.

Posts: 3704 | Location: Westchester, NY | Registered: Aug 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaferguy91:
Last night @ Cafe Society with LaTour67, Max, Vette, Arkansas Doc and Vette Jr.:
1996 Pol Roger Champagne Cuvée Sir Winston Churchill Brut
2008 Kistler Chardonnay Hudson Vineyard
1997 Brunello
1954 Louis Martini Cab
2007 Maybach Family Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Materium
2008 Saxum James Berry Vineyard

I can't remember the name of the Brunello but it was wonderful. I'll see if Max remembers.
The brunello was the 1997 Ciacci Piccolomini d' Aragona Vigna Pianrosso and was brought by Arkansas Doc. It was showing beautifully and in my opinion just entering it's prime drinking window. My wine of the night just barely edging out the 1954 Louis Martini California Cabernet which was also showing beautifully from a pristine bottle with perfect fill, perfect cork and label. All wines were great that night along with the company. One of the better dinners we have had.

Posts: 915 | Location: Olive Branch, Mississippi | Registered: Nov 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Julie D (AKA Brunello De Ville):
How was the Sonoma Coast Patz & Hall? I just bought a bottle of that yesterday.

Julie, sorry I missed you on my last visit.

I opened these wines because I had friends over that enjoy Cali Pinot. I only had about half a glass of each, but enjoyed both. For the money, I would go with the Sonoma Coast.

I think you will enjoy the wine.
Thanks W+A. Hope to see you next time! BTW, some of the folks from San Diego are coming to Hot Springs in late April. We will be drinking, you should think about joing us if you are available!!

"Everything will be alright in the end, and if it's not alright, it's not the end." Sonny in The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

Posts: 243 | Location: Hot Springs AR, San Diego, CA | Registered: Jan 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was a busy weekend - tasted too many things tol list - here are some that I recall:

06 Nadeau Petite Syrah
06 Sandler Cab

At various events:

08 Sartori Amarone
06 Zonin Amarone
06 Banfi BdM
2008 TVine Syrah, Cab, Zin Merlot
2007 Summers Cab - Alexandre Cuve
2009 Summers Cab Napa
2009 Summers Cab Kight's Valley
2008(?) Summers Charbono
2010 Summers Chardonnay
Rutz Pinot
Orange Colombo

Posts: 5900 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2008 Alliance 7 Sichel Bord. Very short finish, a bit on the earthy taste. Rated 83

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6281 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NolanE:
2008 l'Aventure Estate Cuvee
How was the L'Aventure Cuvee?

"Everything will be alright in the end, and if it's not alright, it's not the end." Sonny in The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

Posts: 243 | Location: Hot Springs AR, San Diego, CA | Registered: Jan 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saturday with the Saturdays at One group:

2006 J.K. Carriere Chardonnay
2005 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir Russian River Valley
2008 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Westside Road Neighbors
2009 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast
2004 Rust en Vrede Estate Red Wine Stellenbosch
2008 K Vintners Syrah Morrison Lane
2007 Pax Syrah Cuvée Christine
2003 Bert Simon Serriger Herrenberg Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel
2001 Château La Tour Blanche Sauternes

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13456 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got a jump on Groundhog day celebrations with a bunch of friends and used the occasion to clear out some (over?) aged veterans from the cellar...

2004 Cakebread Napa Chardonnay
2005 Beringer Chardonnay Private Reserve
1997 Burgess Napa Cabernet Sauvignon
1996 Seppelt Great Western Vyd Shiraz Victoria
1998 d'Arenberg Ironstone Pressings
2005 Belle Glos Pinot Noir Clark & Telephone Vyd

All of these were in reasonable good drinking condition - a testament to the virtues of a good passive cellar. The only wine that I genuinely didn't like was the Belle Glos Clark & Telephone PN which had some confected candy flavours that were really off-putting to me.

Closed out the evening with a couple of youngsters...

1999 De Bortoli Noble One
2000 Graham's Vintage Port

Posts: 5087 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2001 Barbi Vigna del Fiori BdM-drinking well but can age a couple more years.
2002 Klein Constantia Vin de Constance

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mimik,

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6566 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by max:
The brunello was the 1997 Ciacci Piccolomini d' Aragona Vigna Pianrosso and was brought by Arkansas Doc. It was showing beautifully and in my opinion just entering it's prime drinking window.

Thanks for the info on this. I have one bottle that I may open for my anniversary in a few months.

Posts: 3127 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Sparty:
quote:
Originally posted by max:
The brunello was the 1997 Ciacci Piccolomini d' Aragona Vigna Pianrosso and was brought by Arkansas Doc. It was showing beautifully and in my opinion just entering it's prime drinking window.

Thanks for the info on this. I have one bottle that I may open for my anniversary in a few months.
You wont be disappointed if it shows as well as ours did.

Posts: 915 | Location: Olive Branch, Mississippi | Registered: Nov 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On Saturday:

1995 Fleury Champagne Extra Brut
2008 Bouchard Père et Fils Montrachet
1971 Jacques Prieur Chambertin
1985 Georges Lignier et Fils Bonnes Mares
1990 Domaine Rene Leclerc Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Combes aux Moines
1990 Château de La Tour Clos Vougeot
1995 Louis Jadot Bonnes Mares
1995 Domaine Perrot-Minot Charmes-Chambertin
1997 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti La Tâche
1996 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Romanée St. Vivant
1990 Mommessin Clos de Tart

Posts: 1282 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2003 Perrin & Fils Chateauneuf-du-Pape Les Sinards

Romeo and Juliet are together in eternity....

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS - 2010 and 2012 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

Posts: 9635 | Location: Elk Grove, CA, USA | Registered: Dec 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2007 Stewart Cellars cab

Posts: 483 | Location: Morgan Hill, CA | Registered: Jun 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post