WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    January 2012: What are you drinking?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 25
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

January 2012: What are you drinking?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
On New Year's Eve, with some excellent sushi, we had

- NV Charles Heidsieck Brut Reserve
- 1996 Dom Perignon
- 2002 Dom Perignon
- 1996 Krug

and a couple of small bottles of sake that were very good and whose names I have to get.

The surprise of the evening for me was how well the Heidsieck showed. It was not a large step behind the other wines, except the Krug which just sort of powers over the others in intensity. But for well under half the cost of the other Champagnes, this is will be a definite purchase for me. The disgorgement date was 2008 and it was bought one or two years ago, so I'm assuming that more recent releases will be what I'll find now; I'm hoping it will be similar.

Do you mind telling me how much you paid for the Heidsieck and when (roughly) you bought it? I picked up one here in Ontario from a December release for $54.95.

Posts: 584 | Location: Prescott, Ontario | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rubitussin [sp]

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6410 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2010 Balestri Valda Soave Classico

Posts: 1189 | Location: East of England | Registered: Jul 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by txgolfpro:
quote:
Originally posted by T Dub:
Tehcnically some where drunk in December and some in January.

NV Roederer Brut Premier
2002 Dom Perignon
2007 Scherrer Pinot Russian River
2007 Clos St Jean Cdp Vielles Vignes
2006 Ramey Larkmead Cabernet
2007 Rivers Marie Cabernet

Hey Dub, how is that Ramey, I got some '06 with my JJ Buckely 1/2 off cards, and was wondering if they needed some time? Thanks.

A little tight but with some air was drinking pretty well. If you have a few I would open one now and save the others for a few years.

Posts: 917 | Location: Arizona | Registered: Aug 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2005 LAN rioja reserva

Posts: 1189 | Location: East of England | Registered: Jul 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaferguy91:
2008 Penner-Ash Pinot Noir Dussin
N.V. Nicolas Feuillatte Champagne Brut Rosé
1999 La Sirena Cabernet Sauvignon
2009 Broadley Pinot Noir Reserve
2005 Buccella Cab

How was the Nicolas Feuillatte?

Salmon Pink color. Very pleasing. I gave it a 90.

Posts: 3694 | Location: Germantown TN | Registered: May 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Bowers:
Rubitussin [sp]

So you like extracted wines, eh?

Posts: 1270 | Location: Scottsdale AZ/Midway UT | Registered: Jun 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2007 Seghesio Sonoma County Zinfandel - drinking very nicely for my tastes right now. The rough edges have been integrated and this wine has evolved into a classy zin.

1986 Smith Woodhouse Colheita

In the United States, anyone can be President. That's the problem!

Posts: 1124 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My new favorite everyday white -- Vinho Verde. This particular one was non-vintage Espiral, $3.99 at Trader Joe's. Light, fresh, crisp, tart, and mildly effervescent. Initial aromas of bread dough yielded quickly to invigorating aromas and flavors of green apple, lemon-lime, and kiwi. 9% alcohol. No one else on Cellartracker had the nerve to give 90 points to such a cheap wine, so I did.

"You can never get enough of what you don't really need to make you happy." -- Eric Hoffer

Posts: 1133 | Location: San Diego CA | Registered: May 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1978 Domaine Charles Vienot corton

Posts: 1304 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: Feb 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sunday night

2007 Chave St Joseph Offerus
1999 Philippe Delesvaux Coteaux du Layon Sélection de Grains Nobles

Last night at Cafe Rabelais and 13 Celsius

N.V. Pol Roger Champagne Extra Cuvée de Réserve Brut
2009 J.L. Chave Sélection Côtes du Rhône Mon Coeur
2004 Paolo Bea Montefalco Rosso Riserva Vigna Pipparello ($65 at 13 Celsius, I can't it any cheaper at retail)

Apostrophes don't make things plural.

Posts: 2961 | Location: Napa | Registered: Apr 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2004 Domaine Serene Pinot Noir Evenstad Reserve

Posts: 15628 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2009 Tawse Pinot Noir (received as a gift).

It ain't Burgundy, but had zingy acidity that went well with the veggie stir fry.

Posts: 2908 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2008 Cellars 33 Pinot Noir Russian River Valley

Posts: 3694 | Location: Germantown TN | Registered: May 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm, well this is good to know, I must give it a try!

"Everything will be alright in the end, and if it's not alright, it's not the end." Sonny in The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

Posts: 252 | Location: Hot Springs AR, San Diego, CA | Registered: Jan 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just realized this post seems random, but I was responding to JavaChip's post about his new fave everyday drinking wine.

"Everything will be alright in the end, and if it's not alright, it's not the end." Sonny in The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

Posts: 252 | Location: Hot Springs AR, San Diego, CA | Registered: Jan 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Over the past two nights:
2009 Sea Smoke Pinot Noir Southing
2009 Bodegas Avanthia Valdeorras

Posts: 3279 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2006 Sea Smoke Southing last night

Posts: 2210 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
2006 Sea Smoke Southing last night
What did you think? I was gifted a bottle recently.

Posts: 6559 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Started off 2012 with 2 of our favorite producers.

Sunday we opened a 2000 R. López de Heredia Rioja Reserva Viña Tondonia to go with a chicken and chorizo paella we made. I’ve had this wine a half dozen times and this was the best showing yet.

Last night we opened a 1980 Conti Costanti Brunello di Montalcino. My wife was born in 1980 and she had yet to try a birth year wine so I took a flyer on this at an auction recently and it actually showed pretty well. From what I have read 80 was not a great vintage but Costanti seems to be one of those producers to make something great even when the weather doesn’t cooperate. Paired beautifully with a porcini risotto finished with a little white truffle butter.

Posts: 6559 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2008 Newton unfiltered Cabernet Napa Valley.

Posts: 9482 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
@WineSparty

How was the 2009 Southing showing?

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2008 Calera Central Coast
2009 Calera Central Coast
1999 Silverado Cabernet Sauvigon
2004 Silverado Fantasia

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Hayes:
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
On New Year's Eve, with some excellent sushi, we had

- NV Charles Heidsieck Brut Reserve
- 1996 Dom Perignon
- 2002 Dom Perignon
- 1996 Krug

and a couple of small bottles of sake that were very good and whose names I have to get.

The surprise of the evening for me was how well the Heidsieck showed. It was not a large step behind the other wines, except the Krug which just sort of powers over the others in intensity. But for well under half the cost of the other Champagnes, this is will be a definite purchase for me. The disgorgement date was 2008 and it was bought one or two years ago, so I'm assuming that more recent releases will be what I'll find now; I'm hoping it will be similar.

Do you mind telling me how much you paid for the Heidsieck and when (roughly) you bought it? I picked up one here in Ontario from a December release for $54.95.

Not sure where Seaquam got his, but this goes for $63.99 at the government liquor stores here

Posts: 150 | Location: Vancouver | Registered: Apr 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Water. Glad the holidays are over...

---------------------------------------------------------
"...And so ultimately you didn't blame Lil John or Meat Loaf. You fired Gary Busey. And these are the kinds of decisions that would keep me up at night. Well-handled, sir. Well-handled."

Posts: 1408 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post