WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    January 2012: What are you drinking?
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 25
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

January 2012: What are you drinking?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Dow's Trademark Ruby

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12486 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night at Peking Duck House with noiregonian, waterdr, and forumites at Cellar Tracker:

1999 Mount Eden Chardonnay SCM
1996 Dom Perignon
2004 Domaine Serene Pinot Noir Jerusalem Hill Vineyard
1998 Chateau Beaucastel CdP
1999 Clos du Mont-Olivet CdP (in magnum)
2004 Domaine du Pegau CdP Cuvee Reservee
2003 Chateau Coutet

Posts: 5208 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:

Last night:
N.V. André Robert Champagne Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs Cuvée de Réserve – Solid for the money

I'm not sure I have had this wine before. Should I check it out?

I'm a fan of vintage Alain Robert BdB.
I think you should. Not going to wow you, but for $29 I would rather drink this than the yellow label/white stars of the world.

Posts: 6587 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2008 Tablas Creek Esprit de Beaucastel Blanc- a bit rough, probably will benefit from further aging

2000 Domaine de la Charbonniere CdP Vieille Vignes- outstanding

2005 Oliverhill Jimmy Section Shiraz- reminded me why I no longer buy Shiraz

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37106 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Impulse:
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Canada:
2002 Brochet-Hervieux Champagne
1995 Armand Rousseau Clos de La Roche
2001 Pavie
2001 Beaucastel Hommage a Jacques Perrin

Wow! How was the Rousseau?

Rousseau was really quite nice...I was 92 pts. the nose was utterly captivating....great fruit and a tonne of nutmeg, cinnamon, strawberry, earth and beet. The palate and finish were not as full but still quite enjoyable

Posts: 1143 | Registered: Apr 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Hayes:
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Canada:
2002 Brochet-Hervieux Champagne

How was this?

I quite enjoyed this. Good value

Posts: 1143 | Registered: Apr 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2009 Confuron-Cotetidot Vosne-Romanée

Posts: 1009 | Location: Montreal, Qc | Registered: Dec 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1998 Chateau Verdignan
2004 Ruffino Greppone Mazzi BdM Normale

TNs posted

http://thewinenerds.ca/

Posts: 770 | Location: Toronto, Ontario (Etobicoke) | Registered: Oct 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Château Carbonnieux Blanc

I've really enjoyed this wine every time I've had it.

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6182 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Sparty:
Last couple nights:
2007 Rhys Syrah Horseshoe Vineyard
how is the Rhys drinking? I have been thinking about opening one soon.

This was my first Rhys Syrah, and I was a bit unimpressed. The nose was nice, with dark fruits, leather and some spice. But the taste seemed very straightforward with just plum flavor. Not sure if it is a matter of this wine not being in the best spot now, or if it is representative of this wine in general. I gave it 87 points.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a shame about the Rhys Syrah. I have a few of the 2008 bottling, and am expecting the same. The pinots on the other hand... Woot

Posts: 1325 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2009 Alvaro Palacios, Priorat, Les Terrasses

Very well made wine that needs some time for the oak to integrate.

Posts: 10252 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Impulse:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:

what was your take on the 2003 Montrose?

I have a few bottles, but wasn't planning on opening any for quite a while.

Redhawk, I have tasted the '03 Montrose a number of times at trade tastings. While I feel many '03 vintage Bordeaux drinks well early due to their atypical style, I think the Montrose is not one of them. I think based solely on my experience, this Montrose will be a true Wow wine from between 2015-2030.

The bottle we had didn't show well at all... a very pale comparison to another bottle I had a few months earlier. I would say it is probably in a really bad spot at the moment, and that another decade in the cellar will do it some good.

St-Estephes are notoriously long-lived wines
and I wouldn't touch them for at least 15-20 years. Maybe the 2003 is atypical given the hot year but I am not surprised it isn't showing well right now.

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6649 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kingofcool:
quote:
Originally posted by max:
2008 Dois Irmaos Pinot Noir

How was this?
To me it resembled more of a village level burgundy or bourgogne. Couldn't coax much from the nose upon opening with the palate a little tight. Drank over 3 days though and felt it got better on day 2 with it showing best on day 3. Never opened up to a ripe pinot but stayed on the lean side with no oak showing but more on the acidic side. I enjoyed the wine for the price and felt it was food friendly. If you have this, don't expect a lot of fruit but more a lean wine with some funk coming from mushrooms, earthy overtones and wet dirt. The only balance issue I have with this is the acidity being on the high side. Again, not bad for the price in my opinion.

Posts: 956 | Location: Olive Branch, Mississippi | Registered: Nov 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2009 Bergstrom Cumberland Reserve.

Posts: 9509 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2009 M. Chapoutier Côtes du Roussillon Domaine de Bila-Haut blanc - awesome wine for $12. Loving the quality of the entire bila-haut lineup.

Posts: 6587 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:

I had my lone bottle of this last year and was blown away by how good it was. I went to the winery last summer and they did not have any of the 2000 in the library for sale. I wish I could find more.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Danville, CA | Registered: Apr 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2002 Patrice Rion Gevrey-Chambertin La Clef du Sol

Posts: 2955 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xhoser:
quote:

I had my lone bottle of this last year and was blown away by how good it was. I went to the winery last summer and they did not have any of the 2000 in the library for sale. I wish I could find more.

I bought a case of it. I'll share one with you. All you have to do is come to NY.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37106 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
N.V. Gosset Champagne Brut
2009 Freeman Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast

"When I drink, I think; and when I think, I drink." Francois Rabelais

Posts: 3542 | Location: Oakland, CA | Registered: May 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by xhoser:
quote:

I bought a case of it. I'll share one with you. All you have to do is come to NY.

Thanks for the offer, although I have no plans to be in NY anytime in the near future. Frown

Posts: 2568 | Location: Danville, CA | Registered: Apr 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2005 Domaine Huguenot, Marsannay, Montagne

Posts: 10252 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
nv Jean Milan Grand Reserve 1864

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
2011 Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
Last night at Peking Duck House with noiregonian, waterdr, and forumites at Cellar Tracker:

1999 Mount Eden Chardonnay SCM
1996 Dom Perignon
2004 Domaine Serene Pinot Noir Jerusalem Hill Vineyard
1998 Chateau Beaucastel CdP
1999 Clos du Mont-Olivet CdP (in magnum)
2004 Domaine du Pegau CdP Cuvee Reservee
2003 Chateau Coutet

I saw the post on CT. Glad to see so many CdP in the line up and of course the Dom and the Coutet. Well done guys.

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13662 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post