WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Best Wineglass / QPR?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Wineglass / QPR?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Straw" backwards is "warts"

!

Passing that info on to the wife. She drinks tea with a straw in the cold weather.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2471 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favourite QPR is the Riedel Restaurant series if you can get your hands on them. 100% glass, slightly thicker and dishwasher safe, all for around 6-7 bucks a glass.

Posts: 1218 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
I wonder if there is a way to do a blind tasting to compare glasses. Of course, touching a glass yields tactile information, so one would have to control for that somehow.
In other words, you put the same wine in several different glasses. maybe someone else swirls it around. You stick your nose in the openings. can you tell which glass is which from the nose?
Not sure how you taste.

You blindfold the taster, so they can't see the glass. You have someone else hold the glass for you as they pour it into your mouth. You shouldn't be able to tell much from the mere touching of the lips to the glass.

Big Grin

forget the glass, just pour in mouth.

Posts: 6128 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You blindfold the taster, so they can't see the glass. You have someone else hold the glass for you as they pour it into your mouth. You shouldn't be able to tell much from the mere touching of the lips to the glass.

Big Grin

forget the glass, just pour in mouth.

Blindfold them. Yank their hair back, smash the bottle over their head, shout "drink it bi**ch" and pour the glass of wine in their mouth.

Most people respond quite readily to this treatment. Sharpens their senses.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2471 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the Schott, but seeing the prices on the Reidel restaurant line makes me think that I should reach out to my friends and see if someone can get me a set of those.

Posts: 477 | Registered: Mar 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read a blog post (available now only to subscribers) written back in 2009 by James Laube -- The Perfect Wineglass: One Size Fits All -- that made the case for the SZ burgundy glasses as being a great choice for just about anything that you happen to be pouring. I bought a bunch at the time. They have been wonderful.

Posts: 4 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: Nov 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post