WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Best Wineglass / QPR?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Wineglass / QPR?
 Login/Join 
posted
Hi All

I have been using Riedel Vinum glasses to date. However I am running low in Bordeaux glasses, due to breakage. So I am about to buy more.

I like the Vinums as they are offer as sizable bowl, but are lighter (not too heavy) with a thin lip. But they do seem to break easily.

I also like to buy in quantity, at a discount. Reidel does sell 8 packs for the price of six.

What do you all think of the Vinums? Alternate suggestions?

Thanks

Jhcolman

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhcwine,

Posts: 832 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jul 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try the Reidel Wine, decorated stem. Same bowl, economical, difficult to break, reasonable weight vs. more expensive Riedel stems. Comes in a number of grape varietal shapes. Not in many stores.

here

Only one I ever broke, after many years, was by dropping it.

Posts: 1899 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had some of those glasses. Definitely more durable than the others, although when they do break the go off like a grenade. For some reason the wine didn't get legs/tears in those like it would in the lead crystal glasses and instead just left drops and blotches on the bowl. It bothered me enough that I don't use them anymore if I really want to evaluate a wine but the durability is definitely great for everyday use.

Posts: 2299 | Location: NH Seacoast | Registered: Oct 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Anyone else want to weigh in?

And .. Where in Toronto can I find a physical store with the widest selection of stems in stock?

Thanks

Jhcolman

Posts: 832 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jul 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For my money, you can't beat these for everyday drinking.

Lenox

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat these for QPR.....

Virtually unbreakable, too.

PH

Posts: 15115 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:
For my money, you can't beat these for everyday drinking.

Lenox

+1 and if you are lucky enough to find any of their discontinued Grand Burgundy stems, scarf them up!

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36831 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Hard to beat these for QPR.....

Virtually unbreakable, too.

PH

Thanks for the link, PH.

I just bought two sets and had them sent to my daughter. She is out of college now and needs better stemware.

I love the one-click buy button. Cool

Posts: 30128 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhcolman:
Thanks for the suggestions. Anyone else want to weigh in?

And .. Where in Toronto can I find a physical store with the widest selection of stems in stock?

Thanks

Rosehill Cellars or the Bay

Jhcolman

Posts: 1899 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
I love the one-click buy button. Cool

Dangerous!

PH

Posts: 15115 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Schott Zwiesels are terrific. $10 per glass is fairly common around me. When my Riedels break, I'm replacing them with Schotts.

Posts: 5135 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Schott Zwiesels.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields

Posts: 7612 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I buy riedel overture stems for home use. $3 a stem from my riedel rep.

Posts: 9442 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're in New Jersey

Riedel sale

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2622 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:

+1

-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth

Posts: 8882 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can have a local restaurant that would help you out, have them get you the Riedel Vinum Extreme Restaurant series. This was a few years back, but these glasses comes in a case of 12 stems for around $5/pop wholesale.

--------------------------
Powell Yang
Director
Clarets Hong Kong Ltd.

Posts: 7003 | Location: HKG - TPE - TAO | Registered: Sep 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pyang:
If you can have a local restaurant that would help you out, have them get you the Riedel Vinum Extreme Restaurant series. This was a few years back, but these glasses comes in a case of 12 stems for around $5/pop wholesale.

6$ a pop now whole sale

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12124 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot of excellent advise and ideas.

Most appreciated.

Thank-you all.

Jhcolman

I have enjoyed great health at a great age because everyday since I can remember I have consumed a bottle of wine except when I have not felt well. Then I have consumed two bottles. - Bishop of Seville

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:

+1

Love schott glasses at home and at work

Posts: 57 | Location: Traverse City | Registered: Oct 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if there is a way to do a blind tasting to compare glasses. Of course, touching a glass yields tactile information, so one would have to control for that somehow.
In other words, you put the same wine in several different glasses. maybe someone else swirls it around. You stick your nose in the openings. can you tell which glass is which from the nose?
Not sure how you taste.

99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.

Posts: 7154 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been quite pleased with the Spiegelau Authentis Bordeaux stems, for performance (feel etc.), resistance to breakage, and QPR.

Cheers!

Posts: 2900 | Location: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: Mar 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
I wonder if there is a way to do a blind tasting to compare glasses. Of course, touching a glass yields tactile information, so one would have to control for that somehow.
In other words, you put the same wine in several different glasses. maybe someone else swirls it around. You stick your nose in the openings. can you tell which glass is which from the nose?
Not sure how you taste.

You blindfold the taster, so they can't see the glass. You have someone else hold the glass for you as they pour it into your mouth. You shouldn't be able to tell much from the mere touching of the lips to the glass.

Big Grin

Posts: 6456 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:

You blindfold the taster, so they can't see the glass. You have someone else hold the glass for you as they pour it into your mouth. You shouldn't be able to tell much from the mere touching of the lips to the glass.

Big Grin

When executing this procedure, the taster must wear a white shirt.

Posts: 2799 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Problem with letting someone else pour for you is that where the glass hits you on the nose is important if you have a big nose! You could wear work gloves and sip the wine yourself.

Or you could let the partner swirl the glass, sniff it and then drink thru a straw. Unless you believe that the wine will actually TASTE different from different glasses. But in that case, why do the experiment in the first place? Who tries to prove religion?

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2622 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the gloves idea. Still, the weight of the glass is an issue.
Don't like the straw suggestion. "Straw" backwards is "warts".

99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.

Posts: 7154 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post