WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    2004 or 2006 Casanova di Neri Cerratalto Opinions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2004 or 2006 Casanova di Neri Cerratalto Opinions
 Login/Join 
posted
Which do you like better? My LWS has a few of each and I have already purchased one of the 2006. I'm wondering if I should maybe pick up one more of the 2006 or maybe get a 2004 instead. Any thoughts?

I'm pretty new to the BdM game and am hoping to keep a couple special bottles for future occasions.

Posts: 218 | Location: Canada | Registered: Aug 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had the opportunity to try both in their infancy. My personal preference for drinking in their infancy was the 2006. I thought it was fantastic. The 2004 was very good too, but it definitely needs some time to rest. Depending on how many you plan on buying, but I would buy 2 of the 06 to drink younger and 04 to sit around awhile.

Posts: 1118 | Location: Gig Harbor, WA | Registered: Apr 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking of maybe picking up 1 more bottle or maybe 2 at most. Since I already have a 2006, I'm just wondering if I should pick up one of the 2004, or whether I should get another of the 2006.

Posts: 218 | Location: Canada | Registered: Aug 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you plan on drinking in the next 5 years I would say 06, anything over 5, I would say 04. Just my opinion. Perhaps futronic or on the wine can give you better advice.

Posts: 1118 | Location: Gig Harbor, WA | Registered: Apr 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was my buying statagy. I have 4-04 and 2-06.

posted Hide Post
Ack

Posts: 1310 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AML:
Ack

I take it your not a fan of either?

posted Hide Post
I actually tasted the '06 today. I thought it was an excellent wine. I tasted it versus the '07 Tenuta Nuova and the '07 White Label. I don't remember tasting the '04 Cerretalto so I can't give you a reference point.

Posts: 2210 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
I actually tasted the '06 today. I thought it was an excellent wine. I tasted it versus the '07 Tenuta Nuova and the '07 White Label. I don't remember tasting the '04 Cerretalto so I can't give you a reference point.

How did it compare to the '07 TN and '07 white label? What were your thoughts on the '07 TN?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jonanator:
quote:

How did it compare to the '07 TN and '07 white label? What were your thoughts on the '07 TN?

IMO, Cerretalto takes several more years to really show its true colors. The 2007 TN had been open for 24 hours and was really singing. The Cerretalto had just been opened and was not as expressive so it was not a fair comparison. Both the '07 White Label and TN are excellent. I would say the TN is a 93-94 point wine with room to go higher. The White Label a few points less but still a nice wine.

Posts: 2210 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is the cerratalto a riserva? Why is it so much more expensive? Passed on an 04 for $110 but picked up some 06 tenuta instead.

Posts: 181 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Dec 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoWino:
Passed on an 04 for $110

You Crazy ?

"Believe me, you can count on Slippery Pete" - Kramer

Posts: 1449 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Jun 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gundam:
quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoWino:
Passed on an 04 for $110

You Crazy ?

Yes, at least $50 underpriced. Buy, buy, buy.

posted Hide Post
Cerratalto is a single vineyard "cru" that would be considered a riserva. It is released a year after the other 2 wines.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Qhdeputy:
quote:
Originally posted by AML:
Ack

I take it your not a fan of either?

I wasn't going to bother elaborating, but as luck would have it, Dave Canada served me (and the rest of our tasting group) the 2006 blind tonight. As with every other CdN I've ever had, I fail to see what gets everyone so excited. The wine was average at best, with comments ranging from "this is reasonably well made, but not particularly exciting" to "I would be happy to find this by the glass at a restaurant". I don't think any of us were higher than 90 points. Overall, I found the wine to be overoaked, overworked, lacking typicity and not singular; I felt the wine did not "speak to a place" and could be made anywhere. For my tastes, this wine would be the last thing I want in my cellar at $200/bottle. Maybe I just don't "get it", so to each their own, I suppose.

Posts: 1310 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^Thanks for the input. Always good to hear different opinions.

posted Hide Post
quote:
IMO, Cerretalto takes several more years to really show its true colors. The 2007 TN had been open for 24 hours and was really singing. The Cerretalto had just been opened and was not as expressive so it was not a fair comparison. Both the '07 White Label and TN are excellent. I would say the TN is a 93-94 point wine with room to go higher. The White Label a few points less but still a nice wine.

How did you feel the 2007 TN and white label compared to the 2004?