Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Merry Edwards
 Login/Join 
posted
Curious if anyone has taken a peak at the Insider yet. Wow. Congrats to Merry Edwards. She has become one of my favorite California pinot producers, but I have limited experience with her Sauvignon Blanc. Appears I have been missing out.

Posts: 1791 | Location: NC | Registered: May 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes 96 points Eek

I cannot remember the last time a 100% Sauvignon Blanc for NZ, Cali received a score this high ? Best I remember was a 94 for Cloudy Bay in the 90 somethings.

Has anyone tasted this ? Is it a Classic wine in their opinion. I just ask since there is no way on earth a bottle of this wine ( or any other Cali wine ) will make it to the LCBO at a price I would be willing to pay.

Gibby

Posts: 220 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jan 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bought some; haven't tried it yet, but James Laube (who is not the one who bestowed 96 points on this wine) also tasted it and reported on his blog that it's the best Sauvignon Blanc he's ever had from anywhere. In terms of a high recommendation, it doesn't get any better than that. Definitely sounds classic.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Posts: 3948 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: Jan 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm planning on placing my first Merry Edwards order soon. Aside from the '07 SB - which I already know I'm ordering - what are everyone else's favorites from here?

Posts: 1149 | Location: Chandler, Arizona | Registered: Jul 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I love me some Sauv Blancs, I bit the bullet and picked up three. Even if they don't live up to the 96 point billing and only come in at the community average of 91.3 on CT, it should still be a good deal.

Posts: 621 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: May 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZCat:
I'm planning on placing my first Merry Edwards order soon. Aside from the '07 SB - which I already know I'm ordering - what are everyone else's favorites from here?

AZCAT,

I called them and get this, they want $52 to ship 3 bottles to AZ.. they can keep their high scoring SB for that shipping raping!

Posts: 852 | Location: Arizona | Registered: Aug 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T Dub:
quote:

AZCAT,

I called them and get this, they want $52 to ship 3 bottles to AZ.. they can keep their high scoring SB for that shipping raping!

Wow...unreal. Wonder what a case would cost me? I'll let you know... I did see that they provide free ground shipping to many states with a two-case order, but I don't think I really need that much right now...

Posts: 1149 | Location: Chandler, Arizona | Registered: Jul 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

AZCAT,

Wow...unreal. Wonder what a case would cost me? I'll let you know... I did see that they provide free ground shipping to many states with a two-case order, but I don't think I really need that much right now...

6 bottle limit for the SB so you'd have to order a lot of pinot to get to two cases. The woman on the phone told me their distributor here is Southern so I'm sure they have some agreement and that's why it's so expensive

Posts: 852 | Location: Arizona | Registered: Aug 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What the heck?

Escape and I have been saying the Edwards SB is the finest outside of Loire forever! Now, some guy named Laube gives it a 96 and everyone is listening. Razz Wink

I really think the Musque clone makes much of the difference compared to others, but not too sure about that.

Darn escape, looks like it will be even harder to get now. Frown

Posts: 29576 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
What the heck?

Escape and I have been saying the Edwards SB is the finest outside of Loire forever! Now, some guy named Laube gives it a 96 and everyone is listening. Razz Wink

I really think the Musque clone makes much of the difference compared to others, but not too sure about that.

Darn escape, looks like it will be even harder to get now. Frown

Master Jedi, we bow down to your wisdom Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

AZCAT,

6 bottle limit for the SB so you'd have to order a lot of pinot to get to two cases.

No kidding. We should get an Arizona cartel together to order two cases and split them up.

posted Hide Post
Wow...unreal. Wonder what a case would cost me? I'll let you know... I did see that they provide free ground shipping to many states with a two-case order, but I don't think I really need that much right now...[/QUOTE]

Save yourself the trouble and call AZWineCo. They have some coming in next week. $34/bottle

posted Hide Post
I can not believe I'm saying this... but her 2000 Sparkling is a very fine sparkling wine. Eek

Okay, I have said it. May the wine gods of Champagne forgive me! Cool

Posts: 29576 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Save yourself the trouble and call AZWineCo. They have some coming in next week. $34/bottle[/QUOTE]

Excellent...thanks for the heads up!

posted Hide Post
weird as 6 bottles to NYC is only $28.

but i have a weirder question. why do some wineries charge tax and some don't? Confused

quote:
AZCAT,

-----------------------------

Go Yankees! Razz

Posts: 8463 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Nov 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TBird:
but i have a weirder question. why do some wineries charge tax and some don't? Confused

You've been to enough bars to know about a$$hole tax. Razz

Posts: 2259 | Location: Napa | Registered: Oct 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had this on my wine list last season and it hardly moved. It will be interesting to see if it moves better this season after the reviews.

Posts: 486 | Location: Sierra Nevada mountains | Registered: Nov 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TBird:
why do some wineries charge tax and some don't? Confused[QUOTE]

I've wondered that myself. I thought they only charged sales tax if they were shipping to the state in which they were located, but I could be wrong - I'm not a tax expert. I'm just as Confused as you are!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibby:

Has anyone tasted this ?

Ditto. Anybody actually tried it?

-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth

Posts: 8849 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
quote:
Originally posted by Gibby:

Has anyone tasted this ?

Ditto. Anybody actually tried it?

Indy, do I need to give you a lesson on the search function? Wink Clicky.

Posts: 1791 | Location: NC | Registered: May 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Keeno, Razz. I should have been more specific. Anybody tried the 2007 SB? Looks like one WS forum member has (winetarelli)? I'm just sayin'.

-IB

Posts: 8849 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, I'm the one!

I've had it 3 times, now.

I think twice I gave it a 92.5 or 93, once it was more around 91.5 or 92. Maybe never less than a 92 or more than a 92.5... deffinitely it has always been right in there, though.

It is the best dry *CA* Sauvignon Blanc I've ever had, but I have had better from Italy (Miani) and (blends) White Graves. A true steal at the price, as I've said before I'm sure, only Peter Michael can come close in quality from CA, and that is much more expensive and a style I do not care for as much.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: winetarelli,

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields

Posts: 7351 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
indy: Just giving you a hard time. Are coming to Nashville next month?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keeno:
indy: Just giving you a hard time. Are coming to Nashville next month?

It's gonna be tough, but I'll try. Already going to an offline in San Francisco area in early March. Money's tight these days (as it is for many).

-IB

posted Hide Post
Its a short drive Indy, hotels are cheap and there will be PLENTY of food and wine....

Posts: 2104 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post