WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Toronto UGC tasting - Jan 25
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toronto UGC tasting - Jan 25
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhcolman:
quote:
Originally posted by aav28:
quote:
See you all there.

Any expected standout wines this year?

Btw, I dropped by WineEnthusiast and the space was vacated, with no notice on the door. Anyone know what happened?

Any suggestions on an alternate TO retailer?

Cheers

Jhcolman

I am assuming you meant " The Wine Establishment " on The Esplanade????

Yes, that was the store I was referring to. Any news?

Let me say this, I hope you or anybody you know do not have a big deposit there for a wine cellar like a friend of one of my customer did. Smack

http://www.h2o2winecellardesign.com/

Posts: 2071 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Machine:
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
Jan 25, new time format: 5-7:30 with Chateau representatives, then LCBO servers to 9pm.

I met the Vintages Events Manager a couple of times last week at events and discussed the UGC,early finish time last year, and limited time to taste so many wines with her.

Apparently the reason for the early finish was so the Chateau owners and reps could make their plane to get to Montreal for the next leg on their tour.

On our next meeting she told me this year they are planning to end the event even earlier this year for the same reason. However, they will start earlier - with the chateau personnel and finish up with LCBO servers - with more total time for those who can get their earlier.

This is still unofficial but mark off Jan 25 on the calendar and watch for the start/finish times that are posted when it is announced.

You should talk to the events manager again and ask if they can improve on the substandard food they served last year...worst by far of any Vintages event I've attended.

I DID talk with her last year at the Burg tasting (sub par, woof, at AGO) and mentioned how good the food used to be at the King Eddie (nice room too). She said they actually got complaints about the King Eddie and people wanted a change (no accounting for taste). Apparently the food goes with the venue, just like when we do offlines. one of the reasons I liked the King Eddie. The food at the recent Ontario tasting was good (wine was not so good). A consultant I know told me the costs - some of the hors d'oevres where $1.50 each to LCBO and were excellent. That was the new Ritz Carlton. The food and the cab ride more than covered the cost of the ticket.

RE: WINE ESTABLISHMENT: See aav28 if you need a cellar/cooler. Rosehill in Etobicoke is ok for retail supplies - stems, screws etc.

Posts: 1855 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AML:
It's an LCBO Vintages event...why would you buy tickets from someone else anyways?

AML, nothing to do with LCBO.

A number of TO folks are conversing on this thread. I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything about The Wine Establishment's closing. Some of us very much enjoyed their retail product selection.

I agree. Lots of their stuff was pricey but I always enjoyed snooping around their shop (it's literally a block or two from my office). I can't help but wonder why they couldn't make ends meet. Surely there has to be enough business in this big city to support a wine only shop. Anyone want to go into business with me (hey aav28, time for a store front Big Grin)

Posts: 2278 | Location: Brights Grove Ontario | Registered: Jun 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going to buy my ticket today. I think Jan 25 is pretty well year to the day since I had my operation, so what a perfect way to celebrate! Banana

Posts: 2278 | Location: Brights Grove Ontario | Registered: Jun 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
See aav28 if you need a cellar/cooler.

Thanks for your kind words, VC.

Posts: 2071 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theweb:
Surely there has to be enough business in this big city to support a wine only shop. Anyone want to go into business with me (hey aav28, time for a store front Big Grin)

theweb, if you are serious about getting into the accessories biz, we can talk. I have most of the connections.

My store front is being build right now with a proposed closing end of March 2013. So it is coming this Summer. Stay tune.