WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Toronto UGC tasting - Jan 25
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toronto UGC tasting - Jan 25
 Login/Join 
posted
Jan 25, new time format: 5-7:30 with Chateau representatives, then LCBO servers to 9pm.

I met the Vintages Events Manager a couple of times last week at events and discussed the UGC,early finish time last year, and limited time to taste so many wines with her.

Apparently the reason for the early finish was so the Chateau owners and reps could make their plane to get to Montreal for the next leg on their tour.

On our next meeting she told me this year they are planning to end the event even earlier this year for the same reason. However, they will start earlier - with the chateau personnel and finish up with LCBO servers - with more total time for those who can get their earlier.

This is still unofficial but mark off Jan 25 on the calendar and watch for the start/finish times that are posted when it is announced.

Posts: 1766 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks the the update Ross...
I am really not sure if i'll attend this one....I am buying less and less Bordeaux these days....tough to find the value proposition....

Posts: 1127 | Registered: Apr 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll be there, starting with the whites, in khakis, a blue shirt, possibly a blazer.

Looking for a guy in a chicken suit.

Devilish

Posts: 1428 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
I'll be there, starting with the whites, in khakis, a blue shirt, possibly a blazer.

Devilish

...and a shine box. Banana

Posts: 1766 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:

Devilish

you a funny guy LOL

Posts: 1544 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll see you guys there.....let's start a " What are you wearing at UGC Tasting thread? " LOL

http://www.h2o2winecellardesign.com/

Posts: 2069 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well i for one will certainly remember to bring my shine box, we cant have the TWC walking around with dirty shoes! And i think i will wear my burgundy coloured, paisley patterned crushed velvet smoking jacket, black tuxedo pants and a ruffled shirt complete with Bow Tie and cumberbun, i may top all that off with a Bowler and of course a lovely pair of hand crafted mocassins

http://www.bythevines.com

Posts: 526 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I could wear the one and only suit I own....my birthday suit Banana

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5575 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking of going early 1980's - wild and crazy plaid on plaid . Banana Banana

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigprovolone:
Well i for one will certainly remember to bring my shine box, we cant have the TWC walking around with dirty shoes! And i think i will wear my burgundy coloured, paisley patterned crushed velvet smoking jacket, black tuxedo pants and a ruffled shirt complete with Bow Tie and cumberbun, i may top all that off with a Bowler and of course a lovely pair of hand crafted mocassins

Hey BigP, give the outfit a test on Thursday. PLEASE!

Posts: 1544 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
quote:

+1

Posts: 5069 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
quote:

+1

+2

Posts: 2649 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
5:00 - 9:00 tasting confirmed. Give props to Rose, for listening and giving us more time.

Looking forward to BigP's outfit.

Book fast, only 549 tickets left.

Cheers,

posted Hide Post
See you guys there....+3 on Big Provolone's outfit Winner

Posts: 2069 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking of going. Any tips? This will be my first large scale tasting.

Posts: 250 | Location: Burlington, Ontario | Registered: Apr 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fowler52:

(1) Spit
(2) Take breaks
(3) Study the offerings in advance and taste your top picks first while you palate is still fresh
(4) Be prepared for your mouth to be sore
(5) You don't have to taste everything, just because it is there.
(6) Now that we have more time, move at a reasonable pace. It used to be a marathon.

Posts: 1280 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fowler52:

* Eat first, regardless of the time of day.
* Drink a lot of water hours before the event.
* Survey the wines, both white and red, mark on your sheet what wines you think you may want to buy, taste and spit.
* Visit the cheese and bread table often.
* After you taste and spit the wines you think/always buy, go drink a glass or two of the wines you will never buy due to cost.
* Taste one or two Sauternes.
* Find out where the distributors are having their wine dinner(s) at after the event and attend the one pouring the wines you enjoyed the most.

Enjoy the event.

Posts: 29976 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See you all there.

Any expected standout wines this year?

Btw, I dropped by WineEnthusiast and the space was vacated, with no notice on the door. Anyone know what happened?

Any suggestions on an alternate TO retailer?

Cheers

Jhcolman

Posts: 821 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jul 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhcolman:
Btw, I dropped by WineEnthusiast and the space was vacated, with no notice on the door. Anyone know what happened?

Confused

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
Jan 25, new time format: 5-7:30 with Chateau representatives, then LCBO servers to 9pm.

I met the Vintages Events Manager a couple of times last week at events and discussed the UGC,early finish time last year, and limited time to taste so many wines with her.

Apparently the reason for the early finish was so the Chateau owners and reps could make their plane to get to Montreal for the next leg on their tour.

On our next meeting she told me this year they are planning to end the event even earlier this year for the same reason. However, they will start earlier - with the chateau personnel and finish up with LCBO servers - with more total time for those who can get their earlier.

This is still unofficial but mark off Jan 25 on the calendar and watch for the start/finish times that are posted when it is announced.

You should talk to the events manager again and ask if they can improve on the substandard food they served last year...worst by far of any Vintages event I've attended.

"No TV and no beer make Homer...something, something"

Posts: 2435 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
See you all there.

Cheers

Jhcolman

I am assuming you meant " The Wine Establishment " on The Esplanade????

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aav28:

I am assuming you meant "The Wine Establishment" on The Esplanade????

Looks like the website for www.thewineestablishment.com is toast as well.

Posts: 2649 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aav28:
quote:
See you all there.

Cheers

Jhcolman

I am assuming you meant " The Wine Establishment " on The Esplanade????

Yes, that was the store I was referring to. Any news?

Posts: 821 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jul 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's an LCBO Vintages event...why would you buy tickets from someone else anyways?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AML:
It's an LCBO Vintages event...why would you buy tickets from someone else anyways?

AML, nothing to do with LCBO.

A number of TO folks are conversing on this thread. I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything about The Wine Establishment's closing. Some of us very much enjoyed their retail product selection.