WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Chocolate Shop wine?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chocolate Shop wine?
 Login/Join 
posted
Not at all interested in buying or trying, but noticed that the SAQ is offering this product from a Washington state winery. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the grapes are? The winery's web site isn't forthcoming.

Posts: 552 | Location: Prescott, Ontario | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I googled it, and it was the first I've ever heard of Chocolate Shop Wine. I'd imagine the grapes are merlot and syrah, but that's a complete guess. They just seem to be two of the more compatible to chocolate.

Do you really think you'll be able to taste the actual wine? Seems to me that their intent is to have chocolate be the primary flavor.

Cheers!

Posts: 2778 | Location: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: Mar 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRR:
Do you really think you'll be able to taste the actual wine? Seems to me that their intent is to have chocolate be the primary flavor.

No, I don't think so either and I'm not willing to "take one for the team" and try it. Smile

Posts: 552 | Location: Prescott, Ontario | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like they are adding chocolate and other flavors to the wine. From their website:

WINEMAKING

Sweetening the tongues for centuries, chocolate and red wine has been the most reliable pairing in history. Chocolate Shop takes this pairing to the next level, marrying chocolate flavor with red wine to create a sumptuous drink. We start with a proprietary red blend of the finest vinifera varietals, add a touch of oak and a kiss of sweetness to create the perfect fruit-driven foil for the rich dark chocolate which unfolds in silken layers across the palate.

I've seen similar "wines" at LWSs, typically around the holiday season. Pass....

PH

Posts: 14631 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This place is in downtown Walla Walla. My other half wanted to stop there and give them a try while there on our recent vacation. Her tasting notes were a somewhat cleaned up version of "ass served with a side of ass".

Posts: 5106 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, I admit I have tried a sample of this. As I recall, it was not horrible. I don't know what's in it, but I would not want more than 1 oz. of it. A year.
That said, I also don't know why they bottle it in 750ml's. Seems to me they might have better luck selling smaller formats.

May you never go to hell, but always be on your way.

Posts: 6595 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post