WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Need to impress at $100 and up tasting, give me big, bold, red fruit bombs
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need to impress at $100 and up tasting, give me big, bold, red fruit bombs
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snipes:
quote:
Originally posted by nodakgus:
I get the impression from this forum that once a person "grows up" in their wine age that they shun New World and sip primarily Old World offerings...

I disagree. The path I typically see on this forum is a person gravitates towards balanced wines regardless of which part of the world they come from. One learns to appreciate multiple styles while still maintaining a preference.

Thank you, this is what I was going to say.

Posts: 2010 | Location: Anaheim Hills, CA | Registered: Nov 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would consider a petite syrah, do you have access to a Turley Hayne for instance?

Posts: 2427 | Location: Windsor, CA | Registered: Dec 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mountainman:
I would consider a petite syrah, do you have access to a Turley Hayne for instance?

I do not not, looking into it.

Posts: 2010 | Location: Anaheim Hills, CA | Registered: Nov 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Martinelli Zin might be worth a look - Jackass Hill is probably not available but Jackass Vineyard or Guiseppe & Luisa might work.

Karen
ITB

You should only make wines you love to drink...

Posts: 522 | Location: Napa and 74-41 | Registered: Mar 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KarenT:
A Martinelli Zin might be worth a look - Jackass Hill is probably not available but Jackass Vineyard or Guiseppe & Luisa might work.

Karen
ITB

I must admit, this post caused me to truly gasp for my breath. Eek

There are truly FAR better ports in the world. Wink

Posts: 30357 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Leviathan or Passenger.
Whenever I know someone loves big 'ole fruitbombs, they rarely are disappointed by either of these

Posts: 138 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Sep 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cayuse and Kosta Browne seems right in that neighbourhood.

"Believe me, you can count on Slippery Pete" - Kramer

Posts: 1449 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Jun 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well if you want something like Clio but higher end, the obvious answer seems like El Nido.

Posts: 100 | Location: Atlantic Highlands, NJ | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:

Karen
ITB

I must admit, this post caused me to truly gasp for my breath. Eek

There are truly FAR better ports in the world. Wink

Agree - about the only thing these go with are chocolate and a hot tub Wink but they are fruit bombs Big Grin

Posts: 522 | Location: Napa and 74-41 | Registered: Mar 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Agree - about the only thing these go with are chocolate and a hot tub Wink but they are fruit bombs Big Grin

Well, I have at least always enjoyed chocolate and hot tubs. Wink

Posts: 30357 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I have enjoyed my share of Martinelli zins through the years, I would not enter one into the group of Cal cab aficionados....or a W+A event.

Posts: 2427 | Location: Windsor, CA | Registered: Dec 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
big calif wine......to name a few:

switchback ridge cab or ps
pride cab
robert foley claret
lewis rsrv cab
lewelling cab
gemstone
quilceda creek (not calif but...big)
lillian syrah
linne calodo

Posts: 2144 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: May 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rickym13:
big calif wine......to name a few:

switchback ridge cab or ps
pride cab
robert foley claret
lewis rsrv cab
lewelling cab
gemstone
quilceda creek (not calif but...big)
lillian syrah
linne calodo

Thank you, Linne Calodo deserves more credit.

I have most of these in my cellar I'm trying to branch somewhat out of California for this particular bottle.

posted Hide Post
big fruit forward wine outside napa.....maybe some spanish wine?

bodegas el nido jumilla el nido
numanthia-termes termanthia
alto moncayo

Posts: 2144 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: May 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sticky2:
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
Emilio Moro Malleolus de Valderramiro

There we go! This is what I'm looking for. Thank you.

Any others?

I see you asked about Flor de Pingus elsewhere. It is good, the Emilio Moro I mentioned is better.

For your purposes, I like ricky's suggestion of Termanthia.

Also, maybe Aalto PS? I've never had it, but he's the former wine maker at Vega Sicilia.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields

Posts: 7677 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
While I have enjoyed my share of Martinelli zins through the years, I would not enter one into the group of Cal cab aficionados....or a W+A event.

Martinelli Replace with Alban Reva (-:

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Martinelli Replace with Alban Reva and Don Melchor (-:

posted Hide Post
Ditto for the Amon Ra. Also Torbreck Descendant around the $100 range.

Edit: Anything from Clarendon Hills

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Stevey,

Posts: 1259 | Registered: Oct 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Herman Story, McPrice Myers, Barrel 27, Epoch
Sans Leige, Terry Hoage, Cypher.. But none are at that $100 barrier.
All out of Paso.

Posts: 837 | Location: Carlsbad | Registered: Apr 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brian Loring's homage to the El Nido, "Divergence", hits at the $100 level.

Posts: 837 | Location: Carlsbad | Registered: Apr 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Big fat" non-CA wines under $100:

D'Arenberg Dead Arm
Glaetzer Amon Ra
Mollydooker Carnival Of Love
Bertani Amarone
Allegrini Amarone

Posts: 778 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zonk:
Well if you want something like Clio but higher end, the obvious answer seems like El Nido.

Beat me to it.

+1

Ἐν οἴνῳ ἀλήθεια
En Vino Veritas

Posts: 289 | Location: New Orleans, LA | Registered: Dec 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post