WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Need to impress at $100 and up tasting, give me big, bold, red fruit bombs
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need to impress at $100 and up tasting, give me big, bold, red fruit bombs
 Login/Join 
posted
Ok guys, got a tasting coming up with some older guys who always drink the same old thing (Napa Cab). It's pretty tiring and last time I brought a Mollydooker Enchanted Path and knocked some socks off which was kind of amusing.

So, these guys seem to like the big in your face new style wines. I guess things that make Parker blush.

So, what would you recommend for the $100 range? Can be over or under $50. I was thinking something like a Clio but better?

Thanks.

Posts: 2010 | Location: Anaheim Hills, CA | Registered: Nov 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes: Shafer Relentless.
Possibly: Orin Swift Papillon.

-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth

Posts: 8882 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glaetzer Amon-ra would fit that profile.

Posts: 1570 | Location: London, ON | Registered: Nov 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
I've actually found this wine to have more bright fruit and balance than the other Orin Swifts. I wonder if we've had different vintages than each other.

Apostrophes don't make things plural.

Posts: 2950 | Location: Napa | Registered: Apr 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NolanE:
quote:
I've actually found this wine to have more bright fruit and balance than the other Orin Swifts. I wonder if we've had different vintages than each other.

yea i agree with that acutally

the mochaish type wines would definitely be what Chard rec'd like the Glaetzer wines.

I'd say they might like some Larkmeads too.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12124 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about a big paso ?

Denner ditch digger or dirt worshipper
Never had any but Saxum seems to be a wow wine
+1 on relentless, I've had the 06,07 & 08 all fabulous
Booker, Carlisle, Valdez all make big new style wines

Posts: 540 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chard:
Glaetzer Amon-ra would fit that profile.

+1 on this. If Napa how about a Dr. Crane from Carter.

Posts: 132 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: Apr 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bring a $15 bottle of 2009 Peter Lehmann Clancy's (90pts WS), hide the bottle, and then see what they think. They'll be "jammin'" with all that fruit!

Posts: 54 | Registered: Jan 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Emilio Moro Malleolus de Valderramiro

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields

Posts: 7612 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stick with Spain, wrap it up and have them taste it blind, see what happens

Posts: 3714 | Location: Westchester, NY | Registered: Aug 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
- Pahlmeyer Proprietary Red (right @ $100, and the epitome of a "show off" bottle. Huge, rich, extracted...and the fancy label/ & 5lb bottle to boot. Pretty good wine though, in that category.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Shane T.,

Posts: 1565 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want to suck all the moisture out of their palates, bring a 2007-2009 Lewelling Napa.

If you want to impress them bring a 2009 Rivers Marie Panek with a 8 hour decant or a 2009 Chiarello Eileen Cab with a 2 hour decant.

More curious though, why not find a group that drinks what you drink? speaking of the 'old guys' as such makes me think you are in it to just shock them and not actually join in their appreciation of wine, in this case 'big napa cabs'.
just my 2cents

www.budbreak.blogspot.com
www.clonyc.com

Posts: 849 | Registered: Jan 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had the 2007 Jonata Poesia Pinot Noir yesterday. Tons of fruit and very rich. At around $80, would fit the bill.

Posts: 30 | Registered: Nov 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So what is so "wrong" or distasteful (pun intended) for having a preference for Big Napa Cab's?? Don't we all have different taste buds, personalities, etc. such that some people (myself included) fully enjoy those wines?

I have had my share of all types of wines but I simply enjoy the mouthfeel of a bold Napa Cab. I also enjoy the powerful CdP's as well.

I get the impression from this forum that once a person "grows up" in their wine age that they shun New World and sip primarily Old World offerings...

Posts: 13 | Registered: Sep 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nodakgus:
I get the impression from this forum that once a person "grows up" in their wine age that they shun New World and sip primarily Old World offerings...

I disagree. The path I typically see on this forum is a person gravitates towards balanced wines regardless of which part of the world they come from. One learns to appreciate multiple styles while still maintaining a preference.

Posts: 3156 | Location: ATL | Registered: Mar 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes: Shafer Relentless.

Done the Papillon, good suggestion and I like it, but need something bigger and possibly more sophisticated.

Posts: 2010 | Location: Anaheim Hills, CA | Registered: Nov 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by welshstar:
What about a big paso ?

Denner ditch digger or dirt worshipper
Never had any but Saxum seems to be a wow wine
+1 on relentless, I've had the 06,07 & 08 all fabulous
Booker, Carlisle, Valdez all make big new style wines

Saxum definitely wows but is not easy/cheap to get a hold of.

I'm all for Paso wines.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigTex22:
Bring a $15 bottle of 2009 Peter Lehmann Clancy's (90pts WS), hide the bottle, and then see what they think. They'll be "jammin'" with all that fruit!

Definitely will do this just for fun, good idea Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snipes:
quote:

I disagree. The path I typically see on this forum is a person gravitates towards balanced wines regardless of which part of the world they come from. One learns to appreciate multiple styles while still maintaining a preference.

when they finally drink enuf they realize that port is where it's at!

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12124 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
Emilio Moro Malleolus de Valderramiro

There we go! This is what I'm looking for. Thank you.

Any others?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
- Pahlmeyer Proprietary Red (right @ $100, and the epitome of a "show off" bottle. Huge, rich, extracted...and the fancy label/ & 5lb bottle to boot. Pretty good wine though, in that category.)

Already in the tasting, I want to avoid Napa though.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hare:
Had the 2007 Jonata Poesia Pinot Noir yesterday. Tons of fruit and very rich. At around $80, would fit the bill.

No pinots although I appreciate this suggestion for myself Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mareff:
Stick with Spain, wrap it up and have them taste it blind, see what happens

Something like a Flor de Pingus?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike p:
If you want to suck all the moisture out of their palates, bring a 2007-2009 Lewelling Napa.

If you want to impress them bring a 2009 Rivers Marie Panek with a 8 hour decant or a 2009 Chiarello Eileen Cab with a 2 hour decant.

More curious though, why not find a group that drinks what you drink? speaking of the 'old guys' as such makes me think you are in it to just shock them and not actually join in their appreciation of wine, in this case 'big napa cabs'.
just my 2cents

Honestly, these are friends of my fathers. They drink more to get drunk while I drink to appreciate the wine. My wine knowledge / taste just doesn't seem to be completely compatible with them.

They just know Napa cab, that's it. I try to get them to branch out but it's difficult. I succeeded somewhat with the Mollydooker.

posted Hide Post
quote:
So what is so "wrong" or distasteful (pun intended) for having a preference for Big Napa Cab's?? Don't we all have different taste buds, personalities, etc. such that some people (myself included) fully enjoy those wines?

I have had my share of all types of wines but I simply enjoy the mouthfeel of a bold Napa Cab. I also enjoy the powerful CdP's as well.

I think you may be getting me wrong as Napa Cab is predominantly what is in my cellar. Good Napa Cab mind you.

The thing is, these tasting are boring. How many times do you want to drink a Silver Oak Napa or Pahlmeyer? How many times do you need to drink a Chateau Montelena Estate or Caymus SS?

Isn't part of tasting broadening your horizons? So I know they will have the same old stuff and I will bring something different to the table rather than more of the same.

I do believe Cab is king but part of appreciating wine is appreciating the variety of wine out there.