WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    2002 Guigal Cote Rotie La Turque - a buy at $150?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2002 Guigal Cote Rotie La Turque - a buy at $150?
 Login/Join 
posted
Binny's is advertising a big markdown on this wine. I know 2002 wasn't a great Rhone year, but WS still gave this 94. The La La's are quite a bit out of my $ comfort zone, but wondering if anyone has had one from 02 and their thoughts. Also, by posting this, fans of the wine can try and obtain if you think it's a bargain.

Posts: 5490 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The slopes in the Northern Rhone seem to get rid of excess rain a lot faster than the south and I feel like I've read good things about the 2002 LaLas. You'll get more help from someone else, though.

Apostrophes don't make things plural.

Posts: 2953 | Location: Napa | Registered: Apr 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had it a while back, thanks to jburman (of course). It was great, and showed what a great winemaker can do in an "off" vintage.

I'm disappointed that Binny's only offers that particular bottle "in store only", otherwise I'd surely pick one up.

Posts: 5002 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jorge. In it's prime, or something to sit on if I pull the trigger?

Posts: 5490 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hopefully JBurman chimes in, but I recall it being ready to go, and drinking very well.

It may change a bit with age, but with such a weird vintage (and Rhones being so unpredictable to begin with), I'd drink it sooner rather than later.

Posts: 5002 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had the 02 La Mouline and La Landonne. One was very good, the other I would not have paid $150 for. I cant remember which was which.

The one that was pretty good was still far from what a Lala should be. The two 2002's Ive had are easily the two worst Lala's I've had. Personally, I would save up and get one from a good vintage. I know great vintages are ridiculously expensive but shoot for a good vintage. I will never buy another 2002. I'd rather spend an extra $200-$300 and get a different vintage.

Posts: 4570 | Location: Jupiter, Fl | Registered: Mar 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's my TN from Jack's bottle of 02 Mouline which I was surprised how good it was given how bad the vintage is supposed to be. It was tasted blind, so that the vintage did not prejudice me on the assessment. Agree with Jack, that you are probably better off spending more and getting a better vintage to see what those wines are truly capable of.

2002 E. Guigal Côte-Rôtie La Mouline - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (3/26/2011)
S FL WS Group Monthly Blind Tasting (Himmarshee's - Ft. Lauderdale, FL): easily my WOTN. This had rich dark fruit, was very well balanced, and a little hardness to it, causing me to guess it to be an 03 Graves. When it was revealed as an 02 Cotie Rotie, I was stunned as that is the worst vintage in 20 years for the northern Rhone region (many did not even release certain wines that year). That showed me what truly great vineyards can accomplish even in poor years. I would have thought that buying that wine would be just to get a big label cheap, yet the wine was delicious and stood out among the others. (93 pts.)

Posts: 3089 | Location: Boca Raton, FL | Registered: Dec 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBJ2012FinalsMVPisclutch:
I've had the 02 La Mouline and La Landonne. One was very good, the other I would not have paid $150 for. I cant remember which was which.

The one that was pretty good was still far from what a Lala should be. The two 2002's Ive had are easily the two worst Lala's I've had. Personally, I would save up and get one from a good vintage. I know great vintages are ridiculously expensive but shoot for a good vintage. I will never buy another 2002. I'd rather spend an extra $200-$300 and get a different vintage.
'

can i ask which one yuou opened for me?

that was stunning!

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12229 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
G-man, I think we shared a 97 La Turque.

The bottle Vinole posted notes on was the one I enjoyed. I remember the one I shared with Jorge as being thin with a clipped finish.

Billhike, another solution would be to come to Fla and I'll gladly open one with you.

Posts: 4570 | Location: Jupiter, Fl | Registered: Mar 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBJ2012FinalsMVPisclutch:
G-man, I think we shared a 97 La Turque.

The bottle Vinole posted notes on was the one I enjoyed. I remember the one I shared with Jorge as being thin with a clipped finish.

Billhike, another solution would be to come to Fla and I'll gladly open one with you.

i almost dropped 450$ at the 4 seasons for the 83 after tasting how good that 97 was!

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12229 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jack opened a '97 Lala with me as well, and it's tied for my favorite wine ever ('82 LLC being the other).

posted Hide Post
I would not buy 2002 La Turque at that price. It may be very good, but there's a lot of very good wine, including Northern Rhone Syrah, that you can buy for less.

If I were you, I would save my money and buy a LaLa from a good vintage when I can afford one. That is a very special experience, well worth the money and IMO worth the wait. YMMV.

Cheers!

Posts: 8507 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the info, and especially to LBJ Jr. for the generous offer! Wink

Since I was considering dropping the $150 anyway, perhaps I should go ahead and order 5 more CdP's from 2010...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: billhike,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
Thanks all for the info, and especially to LBJ Jr. for the generous offer! Wink

Since I was considering dropping the $150 anyway, perhaps I should go ahead and order 5 more CdP's from 2010...

can you email me bill? ghiman at that google mail
oooooooooooor if any of you generous chicagoites going to binny's want to do me a favor and see if we can work out something involving me getting the bottle =)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: g-man,

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
actually scratch that, mjalbers just informed me that chicago is 7 hour drive from Minneapolis.

silly new yawkers, I thought it was like going over to joisey.

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
You didn't want to come pick it up yourself so you could find out what REAL hot dogs and pizza taste like? Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
You didn't want to come pick it up yourself so you could find out what REAL hot dogs and pizza taste like? Wink

i dont even think what you guys make there can be called pizza

Pie is probably a better word

as with the hot dogs, any dog that requires fancy green fixings to appear edible typically stays on my lawn.

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
i remember being floored by a 2001 and 2002 Northern Rhone comparative tasting. The Northern Rhone, in my opinion - did not suffer from the hail as the Southern Rhone did. The Northern Rhones from 2002 are bargains right now with people afraid to drink them... much like `98 Napa.

--------------
My name is Prince, and I am funky.

Posts: 1510 | Location: Napa, Ca | Registered: Jun 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm disappointed that Binny's only offers that particular bottle "in store only", otherwise I'd surely pick one up.

They currently dominate the Chicago wine market. They have no interest in doing business out of the state. I think, in the long run, they probably would support enforcement of no shipping into or out of the state of Illinois, to maintain an even further stranglehold. Similar to a place like Spec's in Texas.

It is a shame that this industry is so archaic.

Daniel Posner
www.grapesthewineco.com-
"But is anyone speaking for consumers' best interest? One liquor store owner, Daniel Posner of Grapes the Wine Company..."-Wine Spectator
"One of the most important retailers in the country"-Wall Street Journal, November 2010
"(T)hese are the kind of posts we've come to expect from NY Retailer."-Board-O
"You're not here to help us. You're here to help yourself..."-Board-O
"You a liar and your motives here are clear to all. Let me repeat- you are a liar."-Board-O

Posts: 752 | Location: New York | Registered: May 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post