New
Find
Notify
Tools

d'YQuem
 Login/Join 
posted
Has anyone tried the golden stuff?

Posts: 4 | Location: Southeast | Registered: Oct 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, lots of people.

Posts: 247 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Nov 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last weekend.

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13571 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not had one this year. Frown

PH

Posts: 15185 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do bears sh!t in the woods?

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5745 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
Last weekend.

Heck yeah!

GG

Posts: 275 | Location: Galveston, TX | Registered: Apr 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Has anyone tried the golden stuff?

Sure. It's not that rare. It's just overpriced. You too can try it if you want to pay the tariff.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2636 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always wondered.. are Bordeaux's and other French wines much cheaper if I were to buy over there on a trip?

Posts: 216 | Location: Canada | Registered: Aug 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tried the '89 and the '01 this year. Really great stuff, and incredibly expensive, however, it is somewhat reasonable in comparison to the top red Bordeaux out there.

Posts: 1300 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one for the first time this year -- a half bottle of the 2002. It was a $100+ well spent. Very balanced, elegant, not coyingly sweet. Clearly head and shoulders better than another Sauternes that was half (or maybe a third) of the price.

Posts: 5148 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
I had one for the first time this year -- a half bottle of the 2002. It was a $100+ well spent. Very balanced, elegant, not coyingly sweet. Clearly head and shoulders better than another Sauternes that was half (or maybe a third) of the price.

you mena the 2001 Guirard 750ml that I opened? head and shoulders for sure.
it was 80$

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12178 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the 1989 for the second time a little while ago and was underwhelmed...again. This time it was along with a vertical at a D'Yquem tasting dinner. The 1962 also underwhelming - more of the monolithic profile of the 89. Young ones were ok but not worth the juice by any stretch.

I haven't tasted the 01. It may be stellar and worth the price.

The 1983 was stunning - had it the night after the D'Yquem tasting dinner. The 83 was a bit lighter than the 89 but way more complex and interesting. Ethereal. If you want to splurge on a great, aged d'Yquem, I'd recommend the 83.

That said, there are many other great Sauternes that you can buy 10 of for the price of 1 d'Yquem in any given vintage. Whether that is good QPR is up to each of us to decide.

Posts: 1909 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to figure out how to be in the neighborhood when Board-O opens his last 1967.

PH

Posts: 15185 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:

it was 80$
Yup, that's the one. I think it's $80 for a 750 though.

Posts: 5148 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
I have to figure out how to be in the neighborhood when Board-O opens his last 1967.

PH

We could invite him down here. Wink
He reports that his power went out about 10AM today or so.

99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.

Posts: 7159 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:

Can be had for the low low price of $475.95 at Bay and King or Queen and Coxwell LCBOs.

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.

Posts: 2411 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
quote:

Can be had for the low low price of $475.95 at Bay and King or Queen and Coxwell LCBOs.

If that's for a 750 you should back up the truck.

PH

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I like the 95 cents in the price -- like it's gonna be more appealing than $476.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
quote:

PH

We could invite him down here. Wink
He reports that his power went out about 10AM today or so.

Board-O. Come on down! I'll open something suitable to start. Let's say a 1988 Krug and a 1982 Mouton........

PH

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

PH

Not a chance, it's for a 375.

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.

Posts: 2411 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it was 80$[/QUOTE]Yup, that's the one. I think it's $80 for a 750 though.[/QUOTE]

+1 I've had the 01 Guiraud 3 times, stunning each time. Opened a 1990 Guiraud at the last offline.

The most recent price (US) I paid for the 01 Guiraud was $60.

$160 last week for 01 Rieussec (but haven't opened yet).

Posts: 1909 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

PH

Not a chance, it's for a 375.

WAIT! They reduced it by $100 so it's only $375 for a half!

posted Hide Post
What? When I purchased it, it was $475.

Posts: 1300 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

PH

No fair - 1967 is my birth year, and I'll take him to dinner at Kiki's if he brings it this way! Banana

Posts: 5475 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CA has banned foie but I remember a 1986 yquem with that pairing that was magical. The 03s seem to be a good deal compared to recent prices.

On my 100th birthday, I plan on opening a 2001 Yquem from magnum. It might be too young but it should be tasty.

Posts: 176 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Dec 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post