WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    2010 Oregon Pinot Noir Vintage
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2010 Oregon Pinot Noir Vintage
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
As I said above, Pinot likes to make fools of many of us-- it disappoints, and delights, as it chooses.
(Quote from BH Vineyard above)

That's me. I've been made of a fool many times by the PN's.

99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.

Posts: 7154 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update Tom. That helps me a lot.

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2944 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BHVineyard:
I was amused to see that a small group seems to have beat-up this topic for 2-weeks and then got tired. So, now that it is a new year, here's my two cents on a few points; perhaps the debate will restart?...:

Tom -- Thanks for the post. It's always enjoyable to hear your thoughts/insights. The holidays and heavy business travel in December forced this to the back burner for me, but I haven't stopped thinking about it.

My recent travels have actually provided a perspective that I don't get (take advantage of, may be a better way to phrase it) in most years. Most restaurants have a meager -- if any -- Pinot Noir selection, which means that, if they do have something, it is most likely a large production, widely distributed wine. Since early December, I've had the 2010 Erath Oregon Pinot Noir in Savannah, the 2010 Argyle WV Pinot Noir in Allentown, and the 2010 Elk Cove WV Pinot Noir last night in Boston.

I don't have exact production figures, but these are several of the larger production Pinot Noir bottlings in Oregon. Thus, by definition, they offer perspective into the vintage. The bottom line, IMHO, is that these three entry level, large production, wines are quite respectable. Mind boggling good? No. Will I be buying these three for my own celler. No. (I never have and don't plan to start now -- it's not just a 2010 'thing'.) But, I was very happy to be able to purchase Pinot Noir that provided this level of enjoyment at a restaurant. And the big picture is that, if the entry level wines are respectible, then the higher quality wines have the potential to be very good, as I have already noted.

I'm definately looking forward to tasting the 2010 Le Cadeau line up.

Posts: 1563 | Location: STL | Registered: Dec 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got to taste the 2010 St Innocent Villages Cuvee, Temperence Hill, Zenith and Justice and all showed very well. Alot of acidity and good depth for a cool vintage.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mpls wine guy,

Posts: 9442 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 to what Sharkey said. I am still interested in researching the 2010 Oregon Vintage, but the holidays kind of got in the way. Since my last TN post, I have had the Shea Estate (my least favorite Shea that I can remember), Big Table Farm Catrall (weird popcorn aroma - ? flawed) and retried the Domaine Drouhin (which is outstanding). I agree that there is a lot of similarity to 07, but there seems to be more incosistancy (at least in my small sampling). I will continue to try them as they hit the market and will purchase some of the ones I like for cellaring.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Red guy in a blue state,

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2944 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night we had the 2010 Penner-Ash Shea Vineyard, and I posted a tasting note. Loved it.

Posts: 5469 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have popped 2010 Bergstrom Bergstrom and 2010 St. Innocent Shea, both wonderful wines. The Bergstrom was a dead-ringer for Grand Cru Burgundy. The St. Innocent was a bit lighter but still outstanding. As a Burgundy lover I am now turned onto Oregon. My tastes run right to what this Bergstrom is showing, so I imagine I'd like the heavier producers in lighter years and the lighter producers in heavier years. (Can't stand Cali Pinot BTW, with very few exceptions.)

Posts: 40 | Registered: Dec 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bump.

In the last week, I've opened . . .
2010 Cameron Dundee Hills Pinot Noir
2010 Matello Durant Vineyard Pinot Noir

Both were very enjoyable.

Posts: 1563 | Location: STL | Registered: Dec 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have tried several St. Innocent 2010's.....Absolutely loved them. Especially the Momtazi.

Agree that 2010's are for those who like their Pinots more restrained. If you favor the Cali-style, 2006 and 2009 are more your speed.

Posts: 50 | Location: Indialantic, FL | Registered: Nov 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was a good Father's Day:

2010 Thomas Pinot Noir
2010 Bell Pente Murto Vineyard Pinot Noir

Both young, as expected, but oh so good.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sharkey:

2010 Thomas Pinot Noir

Nice! I wish there was a "shaking fist" emoticon. Wink

Turkey bacon is the reason I have trust issues.

Posts: 6800 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:

If it's any consolation, it wasn't my Thomas. I have a standing rule of not refusing other people's Thomas, when they open it. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
quote:

2010 Thomas Pinot Noir

Remind me the next time we're together. I'd be more than happy to open a Thomas for you.

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13548 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

2010 Thomas Pinot Noir

How ready is the Thomas? I have 3 750s and 1 1.5L. It will be my first experience with his wine.

Apostrophes don't make things plural.

Posts: 2950 | Location: Napa | Registered: Apr 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there an 'official' way to get on the Thomas mailing/wait list? I've heard so many great things and how hard it is to source, and have searched online unsucessfully as well.

Posts: 3223 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Basically you call his answering machine and leave a message with your details and then wait.

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13548 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I physically mailed him a letter with my information. I received an offer just a few months later.

I'm happy to post the address here if you'd like it.

Posts: 2950 | Location: Napa | Registered: Apr 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nolan - was this where you mailed it?

Thomas Winery PO Box 48 Carlton OR 97111 Tel: 503-852-6969

Posts: 3223 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NolanE:
quote:

2010 Thomas Pinot Noir

How ready is the Thomas? I have 3 750s and 1 1.5L. It will be my first experience with his wine.

I was surprised at how accessible the Thomas was. Those who tried it on release (8 months ago) said that it was, not surprisingly, very angular. It is young and primary; however, based on the experience with this bottle, I wouldn't try to convince you not to open one of the 750's now. Though, it will probably be 2 years -- 5 years from vintage date -- before I open one of my own 2010 Thomas's. Forget about opening the mag for now.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Sparty:
Nolan - was this where you mailed it?

Thomas Winery PO Box 48 Carlton OR 97111 Tel: 503-852-6969
That is the address I used. Don't remember what phone number I called (to ask if he accepted money orders) as it was printed on the allocation card.

posted Hide Post
I had the Shea Block 23 tonight. I thought it was gorgeous but my DW thought it was too earthy so I won't be getting more.

There's not a lot of 2010 around here now. Not sure if it was on the shelves and I missed it?

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3482 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Sheas on shelves right now are probably the '11s.
I'm surprised the Block 23 came across as earthy.
The 23 is all Pommard, and is about as cherry centric as they come. The Block 7 is much more earthy and savory.

I'm keeping the corks in my '10s, and only try them when served at a winery or tasting room. They are drinkable, but way, way young. There are '09s still available for those who like full bodied Pinots, and '07s at a discount who go for lighter, more elegant wines.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pape du neuf:
I'm keeping the corks in my '10s, and only try them when served at a winery or tasting room. They are drinkable, but way, way young.

Yeh, but they are sooooo tasty! It's hard to keep my paws off of them.

posted Hide Post
I found an Ann Amie 2010 on the shelf and tried it. It was nice. I'll get more.

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3482 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post