WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Vintages May 14th
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vintages May 14th
 Login/Join 
posted
Here

I'm not a miracle worker. I'm a janitor.

Posts: 335 | Location: Ontario - the new Greece | Registered: Nov 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finally it's rose time.

2009 Beaurenard CDP blanc looks interesting too.

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.

Posts: 2276 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's been over 4 months since I've been even remotely excited over a release. What's going on?

Posts: 1942 | Location: Ontario | Registered: Jul 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Monte Bello at $150. Buy?

The '05 was $117

Posts: 2245 | Location: Brights Grove Ontario | Registered: Jun 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Poliziano Asinone Vino Nobile is a buy @ $53. But there are limited quantities.

Posts: 1081 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jan 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WEc:
It's been over 4 months since I've been even remotely excited over a release. What's going on?

Am still working on researching the wine list but some suggestions can be viewed at http://www.freewebs.com/2011may14/ For me, the #1 selection is the Dandelion Lionheart Shiraz at $18.95, #2 is the Dehesa Gago Tempranillo at $14.95; #3 Santa Carolina Dry Farming Carignan; #4 Chapel Hill Cabernet; #5 Norton Privada; #6 2004 Ondarre Reserva at $19.95; #7 Fontiple Vacqueyras at $18.95; #8 Innisfree Cabernet; #9 Perrin La Gille Gigondas; and #10 Mustiguillo Mestis at $15.95 --- and if I had to pick a +$100 bottle, then I would take 2 of the Ridge Monte Bello rather than 1 Opus One and still have $40 in my pocket.

Some nice value wines on May 14 for me....

CHEERS

Posts: 240 | Location: Mississauga | Registered: Feb 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flip Book posted. No PDF Yet.

http://thewinenerds.ca/

Posts: 619 | Location: Toronto, Ontario (Etobicoke) | Registered: Oct 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've gone through a bit of a dry spell with Vintages lately and we are about to enter the summer wasteland season soon, so it's nice to see a release with some interest value. Here's what I'm thinking of picking up:

Fillaboa Albariño 2009, Do Rías Baixas
Chateau de Vaudiu CdP Blanc 2009
Domaine De Beaurenard CdP Blanc 2009

Ondarre Reserva 2004, Rioja
Ridge Monte Bello 2008
Burrowing Owl Merlot 2008

Six Grapes Port (I'll buy the 375's which give me great QPR in a snack pack)

Posts: 4988 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:

Is it just me or is anyone else miffed that you can get this easily for $12 in the US?

I'll be getting a case of Muga Rose, some half bottles of the Aqueria Rose, The Delhommeau Muscadet (had this last year and it is v good) and smattering of the 2009 Rhones. Summer QPRs are going to be screamingly good this release.

PDF now up.

Posts: 1657 | Location: Toronto, ON | Registered: Apr 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tannic bastard:
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:

Is it just me or is anyone else miffed that you can get this easily for $12 in the US?]

You (and I) need to make our feelings known to the smarmy man at election time next October.

Posts: 4988 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have consistently enjoyed the TH Gnarly Dudes ... 09 Angels Share was miss for me so I am curious to see where the 09 TH GD falls...

Posts: 293 | Location: Ottawa, Ontario | Registered: Jul 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

You (and I) need to make our feelings known to the smarmy man at election time next October.

Has Hudak promised privatization or some variation thereof? If so, he's got my vote.

Posts: 2527 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
nothing for me this release..

Now....where's that Screwpull?

Posts: 1456 | Registered: Dec 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
has anyone tried MOËT & CHANDON GRAND VINTAGE BRUT CHAMPAGNE 2002? Its an ISD

thanks in advance

Posts: 1470 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tried a few from the rhone off this release. TNs:

Mas Des Bressades Cabernet/Syrah 2008 - Rustic wine. Tobacco leaf, leather, and graphite. Ripe dark fruit. Palate is slightly sweet and moderately tannic, will improve over the next year or two and should be consumed within the next 5 years. 91 Pts

Perrins & Fils Gigondas 'La Gille' 2009 - When initially opened was fairly closed. Tried again day two; pretty big red liquorice (almost candied), seasoned oak verging on cumin aromas. Balanced mouthfeel, but nothing exciting and finish is pretty short. To me isn't much more exciting than an entry level CdR. Unless this is in a tight phase I don't see the parker score. 87Pts

Ogier Gigondas Marquis de Valclair - Nice, but very youthful. Not giving much up on the nose, at least at this stage; mild plum, cherry pie filling, and earth. Fairly tannic and a touch alcoholic. 88Pts

http://thewinenerds.ca/

Posts: 619 | Location: Toronto, Ontario (Etobicoke) | Registered: Oct 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Wine Canuck. Interesting take on the La Gille as your notes varies from posted Parker notes and score. Can anyone else comment?

Posts: 1239 | Registered: Oct 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tried the following 2009 CdRs today:

Croze Granier CdR Village
Somewhat reticent upon opening. As it opened up, very savoury, lots of black olive and herbes de Provence. Great structure for lasting 3-5 years. Atypical for the 2009 CdRs I've tried to date but I quite like it.

Domaine Martin Cairannne CdR Villages
Great aromatics, lots of licorice and lavender. Very fruit forward without being overly sweet on the finish though. Good grip. Drink now.

I found both of these wines to over deliver given the low price tags. For $14 the Croze-Granier is a steal.

Posts: 1657 | Location: Toronto, ON | Registered: Apr 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
quote:

Has Hudak promised privatization or some variation thereof? If so, he's got my vote.

I called it!

Posts: 2527 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beppi article on this today to coincide.