WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Slight Mold on cork???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Slight Mold on cork???
 Login/Join 
Member
posted
I recently purchased 6 bottles of 2001 Ch. Batailley. When I opened the 1st bottle I noticed that there are small chalky looking dents on the side of the top (part closest to foil) half of the cork. Tasted, then drank the wine and there was nothing wrong with it. Opened a 2nd bottle and noticed the same thing. Is it mold??? Both bottles of wine tasted perfectly fine. I had planned to save the 4 remaining ones to start drinking in about 3-5 years but was wondering if I should consume them earlier while the wine is still good. Appreciate any help on this.
 
Posts: 140 | Location: here | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Having just read Matt Kramer's 1995 article on wine storage, I would say that given the impermeability that the cork makes when pressing against the glass, you shouldn't have to worry too much about mold on the exposed surface of the cork, assuming that this is mold.
You did not mention any evidence of leakage of wine around the edges of the cork.

The important thing is that the wine seems to be perfectly fine.

As for how long to hold it, if they are drinking very well at the moment, why wait?


Punch it , Chewie!
 
Posts: 1377 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: Jul 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
There is no leakage and the cork is moist with wine 1/4 of way. The wine is good (and tasty)but I do believe that it could use a little more age. Originally planned on drinking one bottle a year until out. However considering the deal on the purchase I have no problem drinking them sooner if needs be.
 
Posts: 140 | Location: here | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Lots of corks have a little mold on top. A few drops of wine might have settled there, someone might have sneezed, who knows. It's not a big deal in most cases. In many old cellars, there is mold all over everything, including the bottles and their corks.


"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."
 
Posts: 2644 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you will have drank them all before you have to worry about it. Razz I've never had a moldy cork myself, alot of gooey corks from older wines I was worried some air might have gotten in and oxidized the wine though.
 
Posts: 9452 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Back to the original game plan. Thanks for the help.
 
Posts: 140 | Location: here | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
vin, I am surprised you are seeing mold on such a young wine. I find small amounts of mold on the top of the cork with older wines, but never that young.

Simply wipe the cork/neck well before removing the cork, and enjoy your wine.
 
Posts: 30175 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by wine+art:
surprised you are seeing mold on such a young wine. QUOTE]

As am I. Still uncertain if it is mold. In the small dents is a chalky dry substance that flakes out into a powder if you rub tip of opener on it. I do know that mold changes color and texture when it dies which is why I posted to see if anyone knew what it is and if it could shorten the aging potential of the wine. I've seen fuzzy dripping wet corks before but nothing like this. The wine has been properly stored by its original owner. Buddy of mine was making room in his shop and sold them for $25 a pop. With my current budget tend to shop fifth growthes especially at that price. Wine didn't make me sick so guess I'll wait and see what happens.
 
Posts: 140 | Location: here | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Try putting some sort of moisture absorber in your cellar, this should fix it.


you are not truly drunk if you can fall to the ground and not have to hang on.
 
Posts: 60 | Location: australia | Registered: May 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Slight Mold on cork???

© Wine Spectator 2013