WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    2010 Grand Bordeaux Tasting- NYC 1/21/13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2010 Grand Bordeaux Tasting- NYC 1/21/13
 Login/Join 
posted
http://grandbordeaux.eventbrite.com/

Is anyone going to this? Just acquired admission through Zachy's. Would love to meet some of you there and say hello.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Feb 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really, no one is going to this? This is in conjunction with the UGS. I am actually looking forward to it. Am I missing something?

posted Hide Post
days of mondya night power tasting over 2 hours has been lost on me ever since the kid was born =)

but if you're attending the ny wine expo on march 1st. I'll certainly be there!

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11835 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a difference. The $65 price is reasonable compared to the $125 price being charged by LCBO in Toronto.

Posts: 1248 | Registered: Oct 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was going to go and then I was invited to a Beaucastel horizontal which trumps the UGC.

Posts: 3704 | Location: Westchester, NY | Registered: Aug 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am going during the day, for the trade.

Daniel Posner
www.grapesthewineco.com-
"But is anyone speaking for consumers' best interest? One liquor store owner, Daniel Posner of Grapes the Wine Company..."-Wine Spectator
"One of the most important retailers in the country"-Wall Street Journal, November 2010
"(T)hese are the kind of posts we've come to expect from NY Retailer."-Board-O
"You're not here to help us. You're here to help yourself..."-Board-O
"You a liar and your motives here are clear to all. Let me repeat- you are a liar."-Board-O

Posts: 748 | Location: New York | Registered: May 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was going to go and then I was invited to a Beaucastel horizontal which trumps the UGC.

But you LOVE Bordeaux! I can't believe you're going to miss the 2010s. And you'll go next year when they have the 2011s? So you'll miss the vintage of the century and only get the vintage of the decade?

Cripes.

Primord - I'll be there in the afternoon. May even run into NY Retailer. Although I probably won't even recognize the new, svelte iteration of the man.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2589 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greg

I was there for about 90 minutes. Sorry I did not see you.

I was, as usual, unimpressed.

Daniel Posner
www.grapesthewineco.com-
"But is anyone speaking for consumers' best interest? One liquor store owner, Daniel Posner of Grapes the Wine Company..."-Wine Spectator
"One of the most important retailers in the country"-Wall Street Journal, November 2010
"(T)hese are the kind of posts we've come to expect from NY Retailer."-Board-O
"You're not here to help us. You're here to help yourself..."-Board-O
"You a liar and your motives here are clear to all. Let me repeat- you are a liar."-Board-O

Posts: 748 | Location: New York | Registered: May 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was there for about as long, but later I guess. Ran into a few friends.

Overall I thought the wines were pretty good, but nothing that warranted the prices. One of the best values was Beaumont - pretty drinkable stuff. A little sweet but with a touch of herbs and some closing tannins, not bad and under $20 retail.

But then something like Camensac was greener and medicinal, or Brane Cantenac, which was worse. Herbs, lots of tannins on the back end, and at the same time, somehow watery and thin in the mid-palate.

Actually that seemed true of several wines - pretty tannic but thin in the middle. So I guess the question is - if one were to age those wines, would the tannins sort themselves out before the fruit is entirely gone? Not sure why this is a vintage of the century. I think the last vintage of the century was better.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2589 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I arrived with la plebe at 6pm and had a very enjoyable, informative, and revealing two hours. This was the first time I was really able to take notice and distinguish the differences between the key appellations of Bordeaux (not that I have had many opportunities). For me, that educational experience alone was worth the price of admission. It was reemphasized to me that, generally speaking, I do prefer the regions of Saint-Émilion, Margaux, and of course Sauternes. However, I was able to further appreciate the other regions as I became more familiar with their wines and their winemakers.
I tasted almost 60 wines- all red with some Sauternes and a lone white, Smith Haut Lafite (there were hardly any whites). Admittedly, I do notice a deteriorating palate after 20-25 sips. Overall impressions were that many of these wines showed great balance with plenty of fruit and acidity already complementing each other nicely. Many were closed beasts packed with stuffing, yet not showing much this night, but with time will be wonderful (Leoville Barton, Clerc Milon, Lynch Bages, d'Armailhac, Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande, Lagrange, Prieure-Lichine, Kirwan, Figeac, Giscours, & Gazin to name a few).
However, I was surprised at how many wines would be ok to drink today (with a decant). Some standouts (to my modern-style leaning palate) included: Malescot St. Exupery, Pinchon-Longueville, Pavie Macquin, Troplong Mondot, Lascombes, Leoville Poyferre, Gloria, Rauzan-Segla, Haut-Bages Liberal, Phelan Segur, Larcis Ducasse, La Gaffeliere, with Coutet, & Doisy Daene for the stickies. Disappointingly, I didn't get to their table in time to try Pape Clemant (red and white), Smith Haut Lafite (red), Canon, Canon la Gaffeliere, Chevalier Blanc, Fourtet, Conseillante, Climens, Guiraud, & Suduiraut.
Favorites of the night were the Malescot, Pinchon, & Pavie M.
The wines of Bordeaux are no doubt impressive and unique in the world, but alas, at the current release prices for these wines, I will remain on the side line and will select very few of them for residency in my cellar. If price were no object, things would be different, but we all live in the real world, no matter how much we care to dream. This night made for a fine daydream though, a pleasure.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregT:
Overall I thought the wines were pretty good, but nothing that warranted the prices. One of the best values was Beaumont - pretty drinkable stuff. A little sweet but with a touch of herbs and some closing tannins, not bad and under $20 retail.

But then something like Camensac was greener and medicinal, or Brane Cantenac, which was worse. Herbs, lots of tannins on the back end, and at the same time, somehow watery and thin in the mid-palate.

Actually that seemed true of several wines - pretty tannic but thin in the middle. So I guess the question is - if one were to age those wines, would the tannins sort themselves out before the fruit is entirely gone? Not sure why this is a vintage of the century. I think the last vintage of the century was better.

Greg, I din't get to try the Beaumont or Camensac, but I agree with you on the Brane Cantenac. My rough notes: (Said by rep pouring)"according to the owner this is the best wine he's ever made"; my notes: Where is it? Seems thin & hiding. The style or my palate fatigue?
I also agree with the thinness on the mid-palate. I noted this for several wines. Still to early in their development to make a final opinion I guess, but I do know which ones I will watch for and which I will not.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Primordialsoup:
quote:
Originally posted by GregT:

Greg, I din't get to try the Beaumont or Camensac, but I agree with you on the Brane Cantenac. My rough notes: (Said by rep pouring)"according to the owner this is the best wine he's ever made"; my notes: Where is it? Seems thin & hiding. The style or my palate fatigue?
I also agree with the thinness on the mid-palate. I noted this for several wines. Still to early in their development to make a final opinion I guess, but I do know which ones I will watch for and which I will not.

you guys should be honest with the pourer and tell him just that =)

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11835 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NY Retailer:
I was, as usual, unimpressed.
With 2010 or the event?

Posts: 6440 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
G-man, he didn't tell me or I would have asked him why on earth he thought that. In fact, I think it was a woman pouring when I tasted it.

Primord- I don't think it was palate fatigue at all. It was the second wine I tasted on arriving so if we agree, maybe it's the wine and not us?

What you did was EXACTLY what people should do at those kinds of events - use it for learning. You explored the different regions - that's a great use of the time. Problem is at events like that, people try to get to the big name wines right away and that's nice too, but they come away w/out having learned much.

BTW - for the most part, I wasn't in love with the Sauternes. Tried them all twice or thrice and I like them enough, but they seemed lacking in acidity. Except for Chat de Fargues. That was really nice and partly because it had slightly lower sugar and lower pH. I asked him about it because it stood out and he said it was deliberate. Good move IMO.

posted Hide Post
Greg, yes it was a woman pouring (not that it matters much, but just to clarify).

I was disappointed with the Sauternes for the most part- and I like Sauternes, even young Sauternes. Although I tried them at the end of the night, I was hoping they would refresh my palate in contrast to all the rouge coating I received during the tasting. However, I felt they were lacking acidity(Bastor Lamontagne), some balance and came off a little flabby (La Tour Blanche) and one dimensional (of course, I missed the Climens, Guiraud, & Suduiraut). The Lafaurie-Peyraguey was probably the spiciest of the group, and the Coutet the most complex (for me anyway- something enjoyable in that nose that I could not describe). Bottom line on the stickies: They are not bad but decent, however, I feel the '03, '05 and even '07(slightly) are better. But I am relatively new to them (still want/need to try more 2001's), so can only compare from this decade where I have had enjoyed all those vintages young. Will time allow development? We'll see.

posted Hide Post
Just finished the event here in Chicago. Found the reds to be overly soft and plush and the Sauternes to be aromatic, yet somewhat simple on the palate. I would pass on the reds, just not as structured or tannic as people have suggested and perhaps purchase a few Sauternes for early drinking. A great vintage if you like California reds, but a poor vintage in terms of classic Bordeaux.

Posts: 2205 | Location: Chicago Suburbs | Registered: Oct 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post