WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Pinot Noir: questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pinot Noir: questions
 Login/Join 
posted
Trying to understand Pinot Noir more. So what is it that gives it that flat/dull/blunt tongue-tingling sensation on the mid-palate and into the finish? It seems to be a prevalent quality in the varietal and I notice it almost every time I drink PN. I do not see this as a flaw or poor wine, but I say this more in when trying to compare to other reds. It's almost as if it is missing acidity, but this seems natural for the juice. Really just wondering what causes this sensation and how it is unique to PN.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."

Posts: 1935 | Registered: Feb 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I drink more Pinot Noir than any other varietal, and I have no idea what you're talking about. It does sound like you are describing low acid, but that certainly is not varietal specific.

Posts: 3618 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you need to start drinking better pinot. Smile

Posts: 5218 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What both those people said.

Posts: 2434 | Location: Windsor, CA | Registered: Dec 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was this your impression with the Belle Glos C&T you had last night?

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1693 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Merengue:
Was this your impression with the Belle Glos C&T you had last night?

A recent impression, yes. But, I seem to get this slightly bitter numbing like feeling towards the back of the palate when I drink PN. I do not think it is flawed or poor wine but definitely a characteristic I notice. Maybe PN's just lack the acidity of other varietals and I notice it more when trying to compare the apples and oranges.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."

Posts: 1935 | Registered: Feb 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know which PNs you drink, or what other wines, but the Pinots I drink have higher acidity than most of the Cabs, Syrahs, and Rhone blends. Bitterness can come from excess extraction or toasted oak, or both. A tingling sensation makes me think of dissolved CO2.
Numbing is a mystery, as PN is not a particularly tannic grape.

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Primordialsoup, I have one of those wierd palates where pinot is usually rough/harsh. I don't even try and make sense of it anymore. I won't buy pinot unless I taste it first. Unless it's Italian.

Posts: 8803 | Location: North CA | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could be you are sensitive to heat. When I get a tingling sensation, its from noticeable alcohol in the wine.

"When I drink, I think; and when I think, I drink." Francois Rabelais

Posts: 3542 | Location: Oakland, CA | Registered: May 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pape du neuf:
A tingling sensation makes me think of dissolved CO2.

+1

Posts: 723 | Location: Pinot Heaven - CA | Registered: Oct 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hippomon:
quote:
Originally posted by pape du neuf:
A tingling sensation makes me think of dissolved CO2.

+1

it's called piss poor wine making ;-)

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12524 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get a tingling sensation a lot of the time with Pinots that show a lot of rhubarb. I would guess that's a skin ripeness issue related to poor canopy management. Low acid would be coincidental, sort of. Like picking late to lessen that fuzzy/tingly issue because they don't understand the cause.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Mountain View, CA | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post