Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wine prices
 Login/Join 
posted
Darioush is now charging $95 for their '09 cab bottling.

So I add one more winery to the long list of wines "I used to drink" but which have lost their affordability. That's two in one week! Chimney Rock made the list on Tuesday----though they were an honorable mention already.

I can only assume the wineries must have a strong enough market somewhere---be it restaurants, Asia, Timbuktu---- where price is not a factor----that they can alienate the winedrinkers who supported their product for several vintages. I didn't see a lot of people filling out purchase cards for Chimney Rock at their sponsored winedinner so the market is not the folks like me who enjoy well crafted wine for their home.

At least I am thankful I have lots of previous vintages from the same producers which now want stratospheric prices cellared for future enjoyment. But I wonder where does it end? And does it end ugly in a fiery crash or a government bailout some day?

Ardeis in Seminole

Posts: 429 | Location: Seminole, Florida | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Darioush

Unfortunately Darioush has been overpriced (and overrated?) for awhile - even for a Napa cabernet. Better cabs out there at half the price IMHO.

Posts: 692 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did a industry tasting at Darioush last November....After about the 3rd wine, my lips were numb with alcohol and I think I dribbled a little bit on my shirt. I could have gone to the dentist when I left there.

Posts: 142 | Registered: Aug 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ardeis:
And does it end ugly in a fiery crash or a government bailout some day?

Ardeis in Seminole

Hopefully a fiery crash with an overabundance of good wine at cheap prices. Although the government does have a talent for keeping things artificially expensive and sustaining things that don't deserve it, wouldn't put it past em. Razz

Posts: 8721 | Location: North CA | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If any outstanding QPR cab/cab blends/pinots come to mind, send the list my way. Don't get out to winetastings as much as I used to with two young girls in family now.

Just seems so many labels keep ratching their cost up each year.

Posts: 429 | Location: Seminole, Florida | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Darioush ... ahhh, thank you for reminding me of those mistakes that I have sitting at my offsite. A couple '04's and '05's, and a single '04 Hillside.

can't wait to get to those before they're over the hill, if they're not already. I loved them 5 or 6 years back, when I bought them, but I've gravitated away from that style. Hopefully they're not horrible. {sigh}

Posts: 1864 | Location: L.A. | Registered: Dec 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unfortunately Darioush has ALWAYS been overpriced ( and overrated?) for awhile- even for a Napa cabernet.

Small edits.

He spent a lot of money building that winery and he's got to recoup it.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2623 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ardeis:
If any outstanding QPR cab/cab blends/pinots come to mind, send the list my way. Don't get out to winetastings as much as I used to with two young girls in family now.

Just seems so many labels keep ratching their cost up each year.

A few come to mind that blow Darioush out of the water:

- Ridge Estate Cab. ($39.99)

- Ridge Santa Cruz Mountains blend ($35)

- Ridge Estate Merlot ($39.99, fruit sourced from Monte Bello)

- Heitz Napa Cab. ($39.99-44.99)

- Keenan Spring Mountain Cab. ($35)

Posts: 1566 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregT:
quote:
Unfortunately Darioush has ALWAYS been overpriced ( and overrated?) for awhile- even for a Napa cabernet.

Small edits.

+1 for both of you.

Daniel Posner
www.grapesthewineco.com-
"But is anyone speaking for consumers' best interest? One liquor store owner, Daniel Posner of Grapes the Wine Company..."-Wine Spectator
"One of the most important retailers in the country"-Wall Street Journal, November 2010
"(T)hese are the kind of posts we've come to expect from NY Retailer."-Board-O
"You're not here to help us. You're here to help yourself..."-Board-O
"You a liar and your motives here are clear to all. Let me repeat- you are a liar."-Board-O

Posts: 750 | Location: New York | Registered: May 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They have to pay for that garish building.

I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

Posts: 606 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Mar 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregT:
quote:

Small edits.

LOL!

Posts: 692 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post