WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    1997 Brunello: Drink or Hold?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1997 Brunello: Drink or Hold?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I think Parker was one of the experts who said the 1997's would be early drinking (together with some of the Italian press). Have to give credit to James Suckling who went the other way and posted on this board that these wines would be agers.

James Suckling comments.

VM

Posts: 12070 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My overall experience about the longevity of 1997 brunellos is not that good. I did make many mistakes when I bought back in 2002-2003 though: Pian delle Vigne, Castelgiocondo, Banfi, Fanti. I initially believed the hype and thought they would loose their oakiness and would somehow improve their balance, but instead they have gone downhill. I ended up drinking/giving away all of those bottles. I did a couple of things right though (Col d'Orcia and Poggione), they are now showing nicely and have a good few years ahead, so I am holding to the few bottles left.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
I think Parker was one of the experts who said the 1997's would be early drinking (together with some of the Italian press). Have to give credit to James Suckling who went the other way and posted on this board that these wines would be agers...

+1

I know that Parker's guy, Daniel Thomases, insisted that the '97s were already coming apart over 5 years ago. I can only wonder what he was drinking and how they were stored, because the '97 Siro Pacenti, Fuligni Riserva, Castelgiocondo Riserva, Lisini, Cerretalto, and Altesino Montosoli I tasted this past year were all doing fine, still showing clear signs of youth.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Posts: 3948 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: Jan 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stick, based on previous notes I'll trust your palate. Wink

Posts: 1462 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember reading an article in The Wine News profiling Franco Biondi Santi who said that 1997 was the vintage of his lifetime, with great longevity potential. Being 80-something and coming from the family that invented Brunello his judgement carries some significance. As the article was published when the wine was released (so it must have been 2003 - 2004) it would be interesting to know if Biondi Santi now thinks that 2004 or perhaps 2006 surpassed 1997.

Posts: 9 | Location: Amsterdam | Registered: Oct 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
Stick, based on previous notes I'll trust your palate. Wink

Thanks; 'kind of you to say that. Smile

Posts: 3948 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: Jan 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Giovanni V:
... Franco Biondi Santi who said that 1997 was the vintage of his lifetime, with great longevity potential... it would be interesting to know if Biondi Santi now thinks that 2004 or perhaps 2006 surpassed 1997.

Good question. I don't think he's prepared to compare '06 and '97 yet. It's clear from an interview with Suckling that he wasn't willing to declare a favorite yet between '06 and '07, which is particularly good at Biondi-Santi. Like you, however, I'm curious to see what conclusions he comes to eventually.

As well, let me welcome you to the forums. 'Hope you find it enjoyable here.

posted Hide Post
The 97s are now 15 years old and drinking beautifully. I'm perfectly willing to continue to cellar my 06s until until 2021 to see if they compare to the 97s! Banana

Posts: 1893 | Registered: Jul 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post