WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Article: 2009 First Growths Fall 17% in Price.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Article: 2009 First Growths Fall 17% in Price.
 Login/Join 
posted
A recent Jancis Robinson article in the Financial Times about the 2009 Bordeaux vintage. She thought they were showing well but said that prices have dropped (17% for 1st growths) since their release. Interesting stuff:

Too Bordelais to Fail?

Discuss.

VM

Posts: 12253 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Meh. They are still about 400% too expensive for me to even consider purchasing.

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2915 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a start.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."

Posts: 1897 | Registered: Feb 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is something I called a while ago. Fine wine is not what it used to on demand and ability to buy. I will keep waiting until they drop to 30%.

www.twincitieswinetasting.com

Posts: 450 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did I read it wrong, or is it saying that everything besides first growths have actually increased (7% on Left and almost 10% on Right)? I admittedly didn't read it fully, but did see that paragraph. The first growths are so far out of my range that the decrease doesn't concern me. I wish the others that are in my range would've decreased.

Posts: 3181 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i havne't seen any transactions that reflect what is a wildly inaccurate estimated index.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12034 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Red guy in a blue state:
Meh. They are still about 400% too expensive for me to even consider purchasing.

+1

Posts: 1522 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am still holding the belief that the Bordelais are holding decent quantities (at least more than usual) of 2009 & 2010 for future release. Their own private hedge fund. Their prerogative I suppose.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."

Posts: 1897 | Registered: Feb 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Psoup, I agree, especially as to 2010. Just a hunch, but 2010 purchases per CT were way down. Once things settle down after the scores come out, I expect some price reductions. I think this will happen with 2011 too.

Posts: 124 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Dec 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's because the 1st Growths started to dilute their some of their product (a la Maker's Mark) with cola in order to increase supply due to China demand Wink

On a serious note, the price drop probably related to the global economy, auction prices, and a flight to quality-to-price.

Posts: 658 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post