WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Thanksgiving wine list
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thanksgiving wine list
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
3L of Monte Antico.

I agree with Matt Kramer. Maybe after dinner we'll pop something nice, but not for the meal.

Posts: 1669 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll have a white out for others. I might bring out a rose for before the meal. I have some 2005 French red wines that I want to break out so its either that or Pinot Noirs. Our friends drink wine but not into wine, but I will break out wines that I want to drink and hopefully they will appreciate them as much as I do.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Scottsdale AZ/Midway UT | Registered: Jun 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2007 St Innocent Shea Vineyard Pinot Noir Willamette Valley.

Posts: 9442 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am thinking about a Gran Fuedo from Navarre that is cab/merlot/tempranillo. I am the only person who really cares about wine.

Posts: 8723 | Location: North CA | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are not hosting for first time in 13 years, so it will be at FKG's parents' house which means kosher wine only. Presumably Hagafen

Posts: 5965 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm traveling with both wine and glasses (long story) to a foodie-friend's house with a small group of diners, so I'm trying to limit the number of glasses I have to carry to a set of Chard and Pinot stems. Thus, the lineup is:

2007 Pichler Riesling Loibner Berg
2009 Prá Monte Grande Soave Classico
2000 Vietti Barolo Rocche
2005 Chasseur Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast
2003 Chapoutier Vin de Paille

It's a much more 'non-domestic' lineup than what I'd normally do for such an American holiday, but this should suit the crowd and my limitations.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Posts: 3951 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: Jan 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Bevo:
I usually bring the wine and I'm sort of a cross between GlennK and Merengue, in that most of my family likes wine but doesn't have a palate that would appreciate some of the heavy hitters, so I don't bring them out. I do, however, try to raise the bar on their appreciation and enjoyment by introducing some wines they wouldn't necessarily buy themselves because of price and/or lack of familiarity.

Haven't decided what's going into the carrier this year yet...

Decision made:

Pannier Brut Rose EV
2009 Remoissenet Pere & Fils Renommee Bourgogne
2009 Chateau de Saint Cosme Les Deux Albion Cotes du Rhone
2010 Four Graces Pinot Noir
2007 Remoissenet Pere & Fils Beaune-Marconnets Premier Cru
2008 Canalicchio di Sopra Rosso di Montalcino

"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst..."

Posts: 1946 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Sep 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Taking to my SIL's house for a large family gathering of casual wine drinkers.

Mailly Grand Cru Champagne Brut Réserve NV
Riondo Prosecco NV
2002 Zind-Humbrecht Gewurztraminer Wintzenheim
2009 Windy Oaks Estate Pinot Noir Estate Cuvée

Special thanks to Jorge for delivering the Windy Oaks to my office yesterday in time for Turkey Day!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Boca Raton, FL | Registered: Dec 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinole:
Taking to my SIL's house for a large family gathering of casual wine drinkers.

Mailly Grand Cru Champagne Brut Réserve NV
Riondo Prosecco NV
2002 Zind-Humbrecht Gewurztraminer Wintzenheim
2009 Windy Oaks Estate Pinot Noir Estate Cuvée

Special thanks to Jorge for delivering the Windy Oaks to my office yesterday in time for Turkey Day!

My pleasure, it was great seeing you!

I'll be opening a few bottles 2009 Windy Oaks Estate Pinot Noir Estate Cuvée as well.

I'll also be opening some 2010 Wind Gap Pinot Gris (one of my favorite wines of 2012), and a 1994 Ch Clinet Pomerol

Then we'll move on to cigars, and a Balvenie 15yo "Caribbean Cask".

Posts: 4989 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My family are teetotalers so I will not be enjoying any wine today, maybe some easy drinking beer tonight with friends...

When I'm able to host Thanksgiving I will make sure wine is available to those who wish to partake Big Grin

Apostrophes don't make things plural.

Posts: 2950 | Location: Napa | Registered: Apr 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well its a holiday so already opened up...

NV Champagne Louis de Sacy (to go with the parade and game. Remember when a Cowboys/Redskins game was a huge matchup?!)

And for dinner...

2007 and 2008 Benovia Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir

2006 Joseph Drouhin Corton Charlemagne (to expand my brother and his girlfriend's limited palates.)

We'll start our festivities with a collection of 2006 and 2007 vintage sparkling wines from Domain Chandon.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Racer117,

"One barrel of wine can work more miracles than a church full of saints." - Italian proverb.

Posts: 391 | Location: Carlsbad, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are having our family Thanksgiving tomorrow, so I guess I need to finally pull a case of wine out. Smile

While I will enjoy the food much more today, I'm looking forward to having our family together tomorrow.

Posts: 30141 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two from 2006:
Zilliken Ockfener Bockstein Riesling Kabinett
Roots Pinot Noir Yamhill County

Turkey bacon is the reason I have trust issues.

Posts: 6804 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Went domestic today:

2008 Alban Roussanne: Not completely impressed with this bottle. Not bad, but not great either. Just a good bottle of wine with the traditional Tday meal.
1988 Broadley Reserve Pinot Noir: This was a better wine in my opinion. Definitaly tasting of its Oregon terroir. Nicely aged pinot that still shows it's vibrancy and softness all at once. Man, I love aged pinot.

Posts: 941 | Location: Olive Branch, Mississippi | Registered: Nov 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Consumed yesterday:

2010 Justin Vineyards & Winery Cabernet Sauvignon
2010 Bodegas Borsao Garnacha Campo de Borja Tres Picos
2010 Stefania Nueva Casa de los Padres
2011 Joseph Carr Cabernet Sauvignon Josh Cellars
2010 Moris Farms Morellino di Scansano
N.V. Alvear Pedro Ximénez Montilla-Moriles Solera 1927 (great with pecan chocolate pie)
2004 Alois Kracher Chardonnay TBA #9 Nouvelle Vague (worked well with both the apple and pumpkin pies- easily WOTN)

Also
2009 Ramey Chardonnay Russian River Valley (my pairing for the meal itself- a great companion with the turkey and stuffing).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Primordialsoup,

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."

Posts: 1898 | Registered: Feb 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Primordialsoup:

How was this? It was a great QPR years ago, but I have not seen it in our market for 15 years or so.

Posts: 30141 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Magnum 07 Goldeneye Pinot. Very enjoyable 91 points.

Posts: 1136 | Location: The OC | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Primordialsoup:

How was this? It was a great QPR years ago, but I have not seen it in our market for 15 years or so.

Was opened late and recorked almost full, so I did not try it yet. Will try to get to it today. Previous vintages have indeed been good QPR's Was turned on to this maker while in Bergamo, Italy in 2004. Maybe it was the time and place, but I will always have a warm place in the heart for this wine and often buy it just for the nostalgia factor.

posted Hide Post
We ended up having many bottles of 2000 Ch Branda. A very good kosher Bordeaux

Posts: 5965 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 2010 Moris Farms was a good dry Italian red with good balance making it a decent QPR. Had without food, but would be even better with cheeses or pasta, or perhaps something with funghi porcini... mmmm... funghi porcini.

posted Hide Post
2x NV Bollinger Special Cuvee
NV Pierre Peters BdB
2x 2005 Donnhoff Norheimer Dellchen Spatlese
2x 2007 Donnhoff Norheimer Dellchen Spatlese
2007 Domaine Ponsot St. Denis Clos des Monts Luisants VV ( excellent Aligote)
1999 & 2001 Domaine Ponsot Clos de la Roche VV ( enjoyed with cheese plate later in the evening)

posted Hide Post
Since Thanksgiving tends to mean being at my folks house and having various siblings (and their spouses and kids) around, I tend to bring a miss mash of things I think they will like. This year we drank (in the order opened by my sisters requests):

Before sitting down to dinner (light, late lunch and during cooking)
2011 Goldeneye Vin Gris of Pinot Noir
2004 Loring Rosella's Pinot Noir
2002 Clarandon Hills Grenache
2009 Porter Creek Zinfandel

During dinner
2007 Radio-Coteau Savoy Pinot Noir
2006 Kosta Browne RRV Pinot Noir
2009 Benovia Zinfandel Sonoma
2006 Shane Valenti Ranch Syrah

When in doubt, open another bottle.

Posts: 2615 | Location: Silver Spring MD (Near DC) | Registered: Nov 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For our Thanksgiving meal with assorted family we had:

NV Shramsberg Blanc de Blanc
09 Zind Humbreck gewurztraminer
2x 04 Archery Summit Red Hills Estate PN

06 Belle Pente Muscat with dessert

Posts: 1896 | Registered: Jul 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post