WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    LCBO Price Alert
Page 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 30
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LCBO Price Alert
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Has anyone noticed that Chateau Pipeau 2010 has already been on store shelves for a few weeks now? It's now a vintages essential. Seems strange to me that a reputable 2010 is already out, but I guess with an early drinking wine like that they push it down the pipeline quickly.

http://thewinenerds.ca/

Posts: 740 | Location: Toronto, Ontario (Etobicoke) | Registered: Oct 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Canuck:
Has anyone noticed that Chateau Pipeau 2010 has already been on store shelves for a few weeks now? It's now a vintages essential. Seems strange to me that a reputable 2010 is already out, but I guess with an early drinking wine like that they push it down the pipeline quickly.

Moderately priced Parkeresque fruit bomb with not much structure, but lots of quantity - why not shove it through the pipeline. It has an interesting label.

Posts: 1947 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, this is off topic, and an availability alert, and yes it's south of the boarder, but given the 24 or 36 bottle allotments in classics, here:

2009 DRC Richebourg only $1498 USD

Posts: 1947 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
Ok, this is off topic, and an availability alert, and yes it's south of the boarder, but given the 24 or 36 bottle allotments in classics, here:

2009 DRC Richebourg only $1498 USD

There are 2 stores cheaper than that ($1,395):

http://www.melandrose.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=131258

http://www.clarets.com/wines/o...ype=&rating=&x=0&y=0

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The lcbo is selling mags of 1982 Dom Pérignon Oenotheque Rose for the wicked price of $6,763.95 a bottle. Available from Wine Consignors for $1,480 a bottle and a place in Europe for $2,800. $5,300 over priced may be a new record...

Looking forward to those mags of '08 Salon.

Posts: 2435 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
The lcbo is selling mags of 1982 Dom Pérignon Oenotheque Rose for the wicked price of $6,763.95 a bottle. Available from Wine Consignors for $1,480 a bottle and a place in Europe for $2,800. $5,300 over priced may be a new record...

Did you see the prices for the D'Yquem library offering, following the vertical dinner? Pricing strategy on the 82 Dom seems similar. Crazy

posted Hide Post
QPR alert. I had been buying a bunch of the 2009 Vidal Fleury CdR off the general list for $14.95 last year and thought is was good value at that price. There is now an LTO for $12.95 on this until Feb 3. I believe some stores have started to carry the 2010 which I have not yet tried, but the 2009 was quite nice.

Posts: 740 | Location: Toronto, Ontario (Etobicoke) | Registered: Oct 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GALÉVAN CHÂTEAUNEUF-DU-PAPE 2009
VINTAGES 251603 | 750 mL bottle $27.65 at 662 Burnamthorpe as of today. Second markdown, was $41

This message has been edited. Last edited by: VinCentric,

posted Hide Post
Delisted today is G. D. VAJRA ALBE BAROLO 2007
http://www.vintages.com/lcbo-e...o?ITEM_NUMBER=179879

$35 now $27 = Deal.

Posts: 1661 | Location: Toronto, ON | Registered: Apr 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Vijay, tried this in the fall and it was very nice. I'll be looking to grab a few now.

And everyone can ignore my prior message, I tried a 2010 Vidal Fleury CdR recently and it was mediocre.

posted Hide Post
Thanks Vijay. Picked up a couple Wink

Posts: 262 | Location: Burlington, Ontario | Registered: Apr 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Vijay, and OTW for doing the pick-up. Looking forward to popping one on the weekend to see how it is doing. Smile

posted Hide Post
i've had a few since release and each time i have they've got increasingly closed. Not to deter you to try, but at least give it a good decant. I'm getting more, but not going to touch them for a few years before trying again.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
i've had a few since release and each time i have they've got increasingly closed. Not to deter you to try, but at least give it a good decant. I'm getting more, but not going to touch them for a few years before trying again.

Thanks for the advice. So, are you thinking another three to five years?

Posts: 583 | Location: Prescott, Ontario | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
was thinking 2-3 before trying the next one, then go from there.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will try to pick up some later this month...great deal ! (38,50$ at the SAQ)

Posts: 903 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Registered: Dec 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I opened a bottle of the 07 Vajra Albe a couple of weeks ago and found the fruit was dull and fading. Not sure if it was closing down or just a corked bottle. I'm wondering if it's the former because of vinoevelo's experience above and a couple of other comments in a similar vein on Cellartracker.

It would be good to know if it is shutting down because I just bought some more at the new improved price.

Posts: 5173 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
I opened a bottle of the 07 Vajra Albe a couple of weeks ago and found the fruit was dull and fading. Not sure if it was closing down or just a corked bottle. I'm wondering if it's the former because of vinoevelo's experience above and a couple of other comments in a similar vein on Cellartracker.

It would be good to know if it is shutting down because I just bought some more at the new improved price.

Haven't tried this 2007, but the 2005 I had was pretty good !

Posts: 903 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Registered: Dec 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:

I opened a bottle last night and gave it a 1 3/4 hr decant. It was comparable to 2005 Barolo I've had at the same age, from the same price range ($30-$45). Yes, muted compared to more expensive Barolo. Maybe it's just young and needs some time, but it was quite good with the significant decanter time (drank over the following 2.5 hrs). It showed dark red fruits, violets, and was well balanced with dusty, grippy tannins and good acidity. Very good now with 2hr decant, better in 2-7 years imo. Excellent QPR at the reduced price - Thanks again Vijay, and OTW.

posted Hide Post
My experience with the 2005 was that it really benefitted from a slow ox. I tend to give both the '05 & '07 a good 1-2 hrs standing upright in bottle, and then another 1-2 hrs in decanter. I've also slow ox'd it in the fridge -- in a Grolsch swing top bottle with about half a cm of air space. Come back to it in 2-4 weeks and you'll get great aromatics and very approachable fruit.

Posts: 762 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Mar 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Darcy:
My experience with the 2005 was that it really benefitted from a slow ox. I tend to give both the '05 & '07 a good 1-2 hrs standing upright in bottle, and then another 1-2 hrs in decanter. I've also slow ox'd it in the fridge -- in a Grolsch swing top bottle with about half a cm of air space. Come back to it in 2-4 weeks and you'll get great aromatics and very approachable fruit.

Very interesting...I had about 2 cases of the 2005 and always found it be a pop and pour. That being said, I have never been a proponent of decanting barolo (some obvious exceptions, but only the really big boys). Nebbiolo is prone to oxidation so for me....its pop and pour.
I loved the 2005 and also the 2007....just great wine.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: Apr 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Finally" got the three bottles of 2010 Bosquet des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape Chante Le Merle Vieilles Vignes I ordered in November from VSO.

Opened the box and discovered three bottles of the 2009 and not the 2010. Sigh.

Posts: 583 | Location: Prescott, Ontario | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Hayes:
"Finally" got the three bottles of 2010 Bosquet des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape Chante Le Merle Vieilles Vignes I ordered in November from VSO.

Mad

Posts: 262 | Location: Burlington, Ontario | Registered: Apr 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Hayes:

Just got off the phone with Vintages and, you guessed it, my options are to keep the wine or return it and get my money back. To make matters worse, they insisted that the vintage I ordered from VSO was the 2009 and not the 2010 and that if the VSO site stated it was the 2010, then that was a mistake.

Sooo, am I crazy or did others order and receive the 2010 vintage??? Mad

posted Hide Post
That is likely to be a big pile of BS. I am 99.9% certain that I got the 2010. I'll confirm when I get home.

Posts: 1661 | Location: Toronto, ON | Registered: Apr 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post