WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    LCBO Price Alert
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 29
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LCBO Price Alert
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
also picked up 2 Tabali Payen.

Posts: 94 | Location: Corunna Ontario | Registered: Oct 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
quote:
Originally posted by AML:
I haven't cracked...yet.

I'm not even a huge fan of CDP (yet) but I'm sooooo weak.

I've seen you posting that you've popped some very nice bottles, which are arguably some of the best examples of CdP. If you didn't like those, maybe it's not your cup of tea...

Posts: 1282 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
must...not...buy...99 point...wine...

Well said captain Kirk, but logic would dictate that the value is well represented and the possibility of further improvemnet exist. Jim, it is your choice, and as your friend, it would be my suggestion that you yield to the masses and succumb to the fruit of the vine. Your friend.

Spock

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5652 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:

Well said captain Kirk, but logic would dictate that the value is well represented and the possibility of further improvemnet exist. Jim, it is your choice, and as your friend, it would be my suggestion that you yield to the masses and succumb to the fruit of the vine. Your friend.

Spock

honestly, not even remotely interested....if the CNDP aint Rayas, I aint buying it.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Apr 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just to add a further inconsistency the LCBO site says 13.5% which seems all but impossible.

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/l...EN&itemNumber=734244

K&L says 14.5%

http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1084623

http://thewinenerds.ca/

Posts: 688 | Location: Toronto, Ontario (Etobicoke) | Registered: Oct 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Spock

Dammit, Jim! I'm a doctor, not an ATM for those bureaucrats at the LCBO!!

You're right Bones. Steady as she goes, Mr. Sulu! We're not buying anything today!

Posts: 2727 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dammit, Jim! I'm a doctor, not an ATM for those bureaucrats at the LCBO!!

You're right Bones. Steady as she goes, Mr. Sulu! We're not buying anything today!

LOL

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
quote:
I haven't cracked...yet.

I'm not even a huge fan of CDP (yet) but I'm sooooo weak.

I've seen you posting that you've popped some very nice bottles, which are arguably some of the best examples of CdP. If you didn't like those, maybe it's not your cup of tea...

Maybe you're right. Just too many palates I respect that seem to enjoy the stuff leading me to believe my epiphany is forthcoming.

Posts: 1591 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:

I can hear the chatter all the way to Vienna!

Posts: 5087 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:

I can hear the chatter all the way to Vienna!

Negatory. I passed on it and my moratorium is intact.

Posts: 2727 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ordered 2 – sign me up as a point whore! Here’s how I justify it. 2010 was a great vintage for the Rhone and $66 for a potential two-decade cellar dweller is fine with me. Also, when a renowned wine critic like Parker who tastes thousands of wines year in and year out decides to change his original point range from 94-96 to a near perfect score of 99… then I’ll take a chance on two bottles having not tasted it.

In my experience, I tend to agree more with Parker’s scores in C9dP more-so than in the other Rhone regions (Gigondas, Vacqueyras etc…) as they are usually scored far too high!

What I do find interesting is that Parker seems to be increasing his scores for the 2010 C9dP vintage…

Domaine Bosquet des Papes Chante le Merle Vieilles Vignes – 94-96 now a 99
Vieux Donjon – 93-95 now a 96
Beaucastel – 92-94+ now a 95
Clos des Papes – 96-98 now a 99
Etc…

Maybe he was battling a head cold in 2011??

Posts: 8 | Location: Toronto, ON | Registered: Apr 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If Parker is raising his scores on 2010 then 2009 will have to be re-baselined on a 105 point scale. Wasn't that a "best ever" vintage for him?

Scores aside (pretty well only Tanzer and Jancis resonate with me, and their scores venture less often in the 95+ or 18/20+ ranges), the current CdPs are constructed so differently than the '94s, '01s or even '05s I remember tasting on release (I am that much of an old(er) fart, and have gone back to tastings notes). The lack of structure in many CdPs, plus the wide-spread cough syrup sweetness and noticeable alcohol (15.5-17%) all turn me totally off.

I suppose the only positive is that a decade from now, when many of us crack the first bottles of the 2010s we purchased, should the wines taste unbalanced and not reflect the terroir of CdP, the scores will help bolster the secondary market i.e. Vintages auctions and we can flip them.

Interesting thoughts, but I digress...

Posts: 748 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Mar 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Negatory. I passed on it and my moratorium is intact.

count me jealous.

so many points... sooooo weak......

Smack

Posts: 1476 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Crap! They are all gone! Mad

Posts: 253 | Location: Burlington, Ontario | Registered: Apr 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have yet to taste any 2010s but in a hot and ripe vintage, I tend to stick to the traditional style of CDP made by some domaines.

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6566 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robo Porker:
I have yet to taste any 2010s but in a hot and ripe vintage, I tend to stick to the traditional style of CDP made by some domaines.

Originally posted by Robo Porker LOL

posted Hide Post
Hey Robo. Time to get your anonymous butt to Toronto. Basecadet and I want to see your smiling face.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Well done, Mimik.
How hot was it really (relatively speaking)? The few reports I've read was that it wasn't as hot as 2009 but no sense in comparing vs a hot vintage to begin with.
The total amount of days during which temperatures were over 10 °C before 30 June is a good indicator of early or late vine growth. This total was 629 °C in 2010, compared with 831 °C in 2003 and 785 °C in 2007.
Source:
http://www.jancisrobinson.com/...cles/a201103211.html

Posts: 1661 | Location: Toronto, ON | Registered: Apr 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey Robo. Time to get your anonymous butt to Toronto. Basecadet and I want to see your smiling face.

On my way in the very near future(Jan-Feb 2012)!

I'm Robo Porker. Give me 16% alcohol and over ripe grapes, I'll give you 99 points!!

(credit to Basecadet, he came up with the name Wink )

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

Posts: 6566 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vijay:
quote:
Well done, Mimik.
How hot was it really (relatively speaking)? The few reports I've read was that it wasn't as hot as 2009 but no sense in comparing vs a hot vintage to begin with.
The total amount of days during which temperatures were over 10 °C before 30 June is a good indicator of early or late vine growth. This total was 629 °C in 2010, compared with 831 °C in 2003 and 785 °C in 2007.
Source:
http://www.jancisrobinson.com/...cles/a201103211.html

True but rainfall was the lowest for the summer months since 1871. I don't think it is as hot as other recent years(ie 2003) but lack of precipitation also affects ripeness levels.

posted Hide Post
Based on the Jancis article above I think I will like the 2010's.

http://thewinenerds.ca/

Posts: 688 | Location: Toronto, Ontario (Etobicoke) | Registered: Oct 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Cool. I know that will be the basis of another great offline.

Maybe a Rhone offline doing "the whole beast" (boar) at Beast? Just throwing it out there... Wink

Looking forward to those mags of '08 Salon.

Posts: 2282 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure Rob. I do like CDPs so that would be a way to alleviate the winter doldrums.

posted Hide Post
I'm in on that one.

haha - just got the Robo Porker thing

Posts: 1591 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Robo, just give us a heads up and we'll arrange something. You are welcome to stay chez moi.