WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    LCBO Price Alert
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 27
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LCBO Price Alert
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
No bubble, w+a. According to the person I spoke with (who is in a position to know in detail), Port is quite cyclic. Through the years it developed a pretty consistant pattern. Since 2000, the market has slowly, steadily, declined. SAQ is fully confident it will cycle back, but not in the near term. In fact, this pertains to many of the sweet wines in general. I believe you'll find similar with Sauternes and other 'stickies'. Even, dare I say, the Reisling family of wines in a similar, albeit lesser, degree. But the trend is there.

I had an email from HDH a few days back. Of many items they were offering, one was '77 Taylor. A great Port from a great vintage. $130. Just a few years ago, if you could find under $155 you thought you'd found a screaming deal.

This should be sweet music to the ears of g-man and bman Smile

Posts: 15126 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 12 year ( and counting) downturn, wow.

I'm wondering if there may be more to it. Of all the major Port people I know, most are over 60, and I know very few Port buyers/lovers under 35. The under 35 crowd I see at work and at trade tastings are major wine buys, but not Port.

I wonder if the U.K. still consumes a lot of Port?

I have been to six European countries in the last 18 months. I have noticed a lot less young people drinking wine in general than I did 10, 15 or 25 years ago.

I know shops here in Dallas had major Port inventory 10 - 25 years ago. Now it is hard to even find a shop that has serious inventories.

Got me...

Posts: 29586 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by vijay:
Ugly price alert:
I was wondering when the 2009 vintage ports would start rolling through, and there are some in today's VSO all in the $130 range. Wasn't 2007 Dow and Warre for $90? Checking wine searcher these bottles seem to be going for $90 in the US. #wtflcbo

Interesting that LCBO is charging so much for Port in this market. I had a Port discussion with the SAQ not so long ago and they were remarking how the Port market has been in a steady decline for some years now. It's quite predictably cyclical, in fact, according to them.

Why should the LCBO be shoring up pricing if the market overall is in decline?

The lcbo's mission is to make money for the provincial government, not to provide competitive service or pricing. http://www.thestar.com/news/ca...gambling-for-funding

It is nothing new that the Ontario government is using the LCBO as a cash cow. The only thing that seems to have changed is in degree. As actual government services continue to take cuts, McGuilty pushes for more money from the LCBO. The only comfort seems to be that, as some have pointed out here, pricing on some Italians and high demand are priced ok vis U.S. pricing. However - I recently picked up 2007 Renato Ratti Barolo Conca for $35 USD ($70 LCBO) and 2008 Saffredi for $45 USD (2007 is $100 at LCBO), 2006 Saffredi was $109 at LCBO, $60 at TCWC.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some markdowns at the Laird St Vintages...

2008 Frescobaldi Lamaione $63.95 - 15.95 = $47.80
2008 Ch D'Aiguilhe $39.00 - 9.70 = $29.30

1999 Les Ormes de Pez $65.00 - 16.20 = $48.80
2007 Les ormes de Pez $44.00 - 10.95 = $33.05
2008 Ch de Pez $44.00 - 10.95 = $33.05

2007 Langoa Barton $72.00 - 15.80 = $56.20
2008 Les Hauts de Smith $36.95 - 6.85 = $30.10

2007 Ch Guiraud (375ml) $39.00 - 8.55 = $30.45
2007 Ch Rieussec (375ml) $66.00 - 14.50 = $51.50

There's also the 08 Frescobaldi Mormoreto which has been marked down to $50 system-wide.

Posts: 4984 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks OTW for the update on Laird markdowns.

I'm checking a store closer to me on the Guiraud.

Cheers,

VinC

Posts: 1604 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
Thanks OTW for the update on Laird markdowns.

I'm checking a store closer to me on the Guiraud.

Cheers,

VinC

You will find that these markdowns are store-specific. But if you want me to pick up some Giraud for you, let me know.

Posts: 4984 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much for the heads up on the Laird discounts. There seemed a lot marked down. Is this a store that regularly marks down on its own? Is there any sort of pattern to when they delist?

Posts: 37 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7smcb:
Thanks very much for the heads up on the Laird discounts. There seemed a lot marked down. Is this a store that regularly marks down on its own? Is there any sort of pattern to when they delist?

No pattern. They just happen every so often, so you have to keep your eye out.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
quote:
Originally posted by 7smcb:

No pattern. They just happen every so often, so you have to keep your eye out.

It happens when they run out of shelf space which happens not infrequently at the Laird store due to its small size relative to sales volume. The other store in similar circumstance where you might find such local clearance prices is the Dupont/Spadina store. BOth serve higher end neighbourhoods, so there are frequently good (but slowly moving) wines to be had.

Posts: 1239 | Registered: Oct 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let's not forget the "LCBO Clearance Store" - Crossroads at 401 and Weston. Although, the few times I've been there, I haven't seen much in the way of bargains. Perhaps someone who goes more often can chime in on whether it's worth the trip.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The reductions at the Crossroads store are okay but still don't rival those of Laird. The benefit of the Crossroads store is that they often will sell wines on consignment that were never officially released by the LCBO. Some times it is good stuff, often it is plonk.

Posts: 1657 | Location: Toronto, ON | Registered: Apr 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was actually just at the Weston and 401 store last night. In addition to carrying numerous items from system wide markdowns, they had a few private label products on consignment nothing to really get you guys running over there though. To give an example:

I bought two bottles of 2009 Craggy Range Syrah for $23.75 each.
CT is a bit of a mess with this wine, so here are two entries for it:
https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=1191298
https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=1277148
I'm pretty sure they are the same wine.

I am assuming that the wine came from Lifford although the "Block 14" is missing from the label.
http://www.liffordwine.com/our_wines/wine.php?id=2451

Anyway, they have about 3-4 cases of the stuff.

Posts: 1657 | Location: Toronto, ON | Registered: Apr 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

2008 Langoa Barton on VSO today for $64.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vijay:
quote:

2008 Langoa Barton on VSO today for $64.

Methinks the 08 is the better purchase.

posted Hide Post
Better wine but no great value - available in the states for as little as $40...

Posts: 37 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a price alert, but something I pass along when I find it: a decent pinot noir for under $25. MACROSTIE PINOT NOIR 2007
VINTAGES 674911. IMO one of thoise rare new world pinots with typical bright cherry fruit and a nice food-friendly zing of acidity but also possessing that hint of shtank that might fool one into thinking it was a villages from Burgundy.
Added bonus: also available in half bottles which I find handy to have around for those (admittedly rare) nights when you just know you're not going through 750ml.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
Not a price alert, but something I pass along when I find it: a decent pinot noir for under $25. MACROSTIE PINOT NOIR 2007
VINTAGES 674911. IMO one of thoise rare new world pinots with typical bright cherry fruit and a nice food-friendly zing of acidity but also possessing that hint of shtank that might fool one into thinking it was a villages from Burgundy.
Added bonus: also available in half bottles which I find handy to have around for those (admittedly rare) nights when you just know you're not going through 750ml.

..or one of those (even less rare) nights when you know 750 ml. won't be quite enough. Big Grin

Thanks for the heads up on this.

Posts: 43 | Location: Ontario,Canada | Registered: Dec 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Couple 2007 Cali Cabs on store markdown at 401 & Weston:

TERRA VALENTINE SPRING MOUNTAIN DISTRICT ESTATE GROWN CABERNET SAUVIGNON 2007
from $48 down to $33.50

CYRUS CABERNET BLEND 2007
down from $60 to $42

posted Hide Post
There has been another round of 25% markdowns yesterday at the Laird St store. Products on the shelf as of earlier this afternoon were:

NV Heidsieck Blue Top Brut Champagne $37.50
2004 San Filippo Le Lucere Brunello $37.50
2009 Vincent Girardin Santenay Les Gravieres $24.00
2009 Guigal Gigondas $22.30
2009 Pascal Marchand Gevrey-Chambertin $39.50
2006 Sociondo Mallet $48.75
2008 La Dominique $48.00

posted Hide Post
Some good stuff on VSO today.
Both Petrolo Torrione and Giovanni Corino Barolo Vigna Giachini appear to be at "relatively" reasonable prices.

posted Hide Post
Thanks Vijay - I didn't see that one!

posted Hide Post
Looks like 2007 Saffredi has been marked down to $75 from $99 listed a year ago.

posted Hide Post
still can be found for >$50 elsewhere...

Posts: 1270 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps, but I do not ever find myself at K&L, so perhaps for those that do not travel, this is not totally incongruous with other US prices (hell, even PC is $70, pre-tax) and it is certainly far better than the SAQ which is still at $98. Also, the few times I do travel I try to get wines that are not available in Canada.

posted Hide Post
Thanks Vijay, otw. I picked up more 07 Saffredi.

I got word from my consultant that Vigorello is going to be reduced - Monday or shortly thereafter.

They are sending out shipments to stores of more clearance items as of Monday.