WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    LCBO Price Alert
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 27
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LCBO Price Alert
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Thanks, bman. Sounds like a good buy at $30.

Posts: 1239 | Registered: Oct 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by futronic:
Wow, that's a pretty crappy sale.

+1

Complete and total pass. Much easier to hose us on good vintages of Barolo, Barbaresco, Brunello, CdP and Bdx at full price.

Posts: 746 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Mar 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Up to 20% off for this dumpster load?

Posts: 4984 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by Stevey:

Can anyone comment on the Quebrada Cab from Chile? Looks like an interesting buy at $30.

I've had several vintages and think this is one of the most unique, in a good way, cabs I've ever had. I defy you to try it blind and guess that it's a South American cab. Frankly I've bought it at a higher price and thought it a good QPR.

I agree 100%. The Domus Aurea is the only thing I'll chase down from this otherwise snoozeworthy list.

Posts: 87 | Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Horton:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Stevey:

Can anyone comment on the Quebrada Cab from Chile? Looks like an interesting buy at $30.

I've had several vintages and think this is one of the most unique, in a good way, cabs I've ever had. I defy you to try it blind and guess that it's a South American cab. Frankly I've bought it at a higher price and thought it a good QPR.

I agree 100%. The Domus Aurea is the only thing I'll chase down from this otherwise snoozeworthy list.

Well, that was quick...all gone already?

Posts: 1244 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...Nevermind. Just physically went in to my local store and their system is still showing plenty.

posted Hide Post
Website seems have deleted all references to the Domus Aurea. Too bad, it is one of mrs. bman's all-time favourites Frown

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 10533 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are several locations that still have it -- you'll have to call your local store to find out which though.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinToronto:
The Sadie Family Columella 2007 looks interesting. Anybody ever tried it or know anything about it?

I've tried a couple of previous vintages of the Columella and it was outstanding. Best red wine I've ever had from South Africa. Worth $70 imo.

Posts: 9679 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Website seems have deleted all references to the Domus Aurea. Too bad, it is one of mrs. bman's all-time favourites Frown

LCBO inventory system is as trustworthy as a Hyundai Pony (and probably as just as old). There were few to begin with accessible to GTA folks. I took the last bottles at Ave Rd/Lawrence and Summerhill.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:
The Sadie Family Columella 2007 looks interesting. Anybody ever tried it or know anything about it?

I've tried a couple of previous vintages of the Columella and it was outstanding. Best red wine I've ever had from South Africa. Worth $70 imo.

Thanks for the feedback, steve8.
Trying hard not to be a sco ho here but this wine received IWC94, WS95, ST94, and Tim Atkin from Decanter magazine gave it 19/20 and called it the best red coming out of South Africa in a 2009 article.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the feedback, steve8.
Trying hard not to be a sco ho here but this wine received IWC94, WS95, ST94, and Tim Atkin from Decanter magazine gave it 19/20 and called it the best red coming out of South Africa in a 2009 article.

Just ignore all of that and take my word for it. Wink

I looked at Vintages Online last night and could not find the Columella, even though it was clearly on their sale list. Has it already sold out?

Posts: 9679 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The scores just prove how right you were... Smile

Yes, the Columella seems to have joined the Domus Aurea in the netherworld of LCBO cyberspace. But I'll bet there are stores that still have it. I think the PC's have access to a more reliable inventory snapshot at the store. I'll check with Nicos over lunch. He's now at the Woodchester store in Mississauga. Smile

Posts: 2504 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Domus is still available at the Bloor and Royal York location. They had 20 bottles. I scooped 4 and there was another order packaged up of three at the cash. Call first.

The Columella is available at the Promenade location. Supposedly 12 bottles left.

There may be other stores that still have stock. Your best bet is to call vintages because they can give you the stock info that is not showing up on the website.

posted Hide Post
Generally speaking, the LCBO removes references to bin-end sale inventory on the website. Apparently people have the time and/or ability to visit 40 different stores on the off chance there's stock.

Posts: 10697 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by futronic:
Generally speaking, the LCBO removes references to bin-end sale inventory on the website. Apparently people have the time and/or ability to visit 40 different stores on the off chance there's stock.

It boggles my mind that they remove this information. If it is a sale and you are looking to clear out your inventory, why would you take away the easiest way for your customer to find the product?

posted Hide Post
Well, there's your first problem aml. You're expecting reason and logic to apply to the LCBO.

Posts: 10697 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If anyone's near the main Queens Quay store, I noticed some 2007 Diadema D'Amare on the shelves for $22.50. This is an excellent price for this wine and I left 2 bottles on the shelf. Apparently they "found" a box out in the back just sitting there and decided to put it out.

Also on the shelf at QQ is about 8 bottles of Diadema Bianco in a beautiful golden bottle. It's on sale for about $44 down from $58.

None of these are in LCBO's inventory system so don't bother checking.

posted Hide Post
Was at Summerhill this morning and there were 6 bottles of 2007 Dominus at the original pricing.

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.

Posts: 2274 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a delist from Sept 26:
http://www.vintageassessments....es_110926_delist.pdf

In it is a 2006 Barolo - Montezemolo Monfalletto That has been reduced $15 to $37. Seems like a decent price.

Posts: 1657 | Location: Toronto, ON | Registered: Apr 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has anyone here tried that Barolo? A store near me has a few bottles, so maybe I'll go pick some up.

posted Hide Post
Just opened one. It's a solid bottle, really showed well with a white bean veggie cassoulet. Not stunning but worth getting a few more.

Posts: 1657 | Location: Toronto, ON | Registered: Apr 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tannic bastard:
Just opened one. It's a solid bottle, really showed well with a white bean veggie cassoulet. Not stunning but worth getting a few more.

Great, thanks.

posted Hide Post
Quinta do Vallado Touriga Nacional 2008 in todays VSO for $32
https://www.vintagesshoponline...?lang=en&item=137018
US release for this was $50+. Currently on "sale" at Wine Library for $50.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up -- grabbed 3 bottles.