WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    LCBO Price Alert
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 30
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LCBO Price Alert
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Interesting...I need to start putting pressure on some of the PCs around here regarding stuff that has been sitting on the shelves for months.

Posts: 1292 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg H:
Not quite a price reduction - but confused as this wine shows NO RELEASE DATE - but shows up now ...

http://www.vintages.com/lcbo-e...EN&itemNumber=181693

The best Burgundy ( stinky Pinot ) I have seen from Calif in a while ... a touch excess alcohol but blows off nicely with some decant time . And the price is $5.00 less than the street price in USA .... all the ones in the Round House (WIndsor) are gone ....sorry ....

http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=583646

Greg

Wow! Great call, Greg. Tried this tonight and it does indeed have a healthy dose of schtank. IMO, this could easily hold its own against many Burgs twice the price. I can see why you snagged two cases.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Tandem Van der Kamp all gone per web inventory. Tried the Sangiakomo instead, BYO to a Chinese restaurant. OK, fruit forward on the sweet side, won't be mistaken for Burgundy by any stretch. Not bad for $26 but would've like to try the Van der Kamp.

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Oct 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's odd because when I got my Van Der Kamp yesterday from the Woodchester store in Mississauga, they had plenty left on the shelf. I suspect other stores still have it, too. Hmmm...incorrect web inventory, no release date listed...sounds like someone messed up when loading this product into the database. I suspect if you keep checking the website, province-wide inventory will magically reappear in a day or two.

If you really want some, it might be worthwhile to call a couple of nearby stores and have someone do a physical stock check. Or let me know and I'll get some from Woodchester. In fact I will probably be there today or tomorrow stocking up because it was so darn good.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Into bottle #3 of 26 on Tandem - quite a colour variation - first bottle was very bright red and took some time for the alcohol to blow off --the others are pop & pour and more aged (this is a 2006 vintage anyways - think they sold the 'clearout' to LCBO as this is $5 less than average USA cellartrack price --anyways if you like smelly pinot - see if you can find some ... as mentioned in first post --I don;t think it had an official release or at least no release date shown on the web page back then.

Greg

Posts: 170 | Location: Kingsville, ON | Registered: Mar 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks VinToronto, maybe I'll pop into a couple of more stores to see if they have the VDK.

Greg H, your suspicion of a clearout seems right. When I got the Sangiakomo from the Leaside store, I asked the PC about it and he said that Tandem was sold earlier this year and LCBO bought their remaining inventory at a discount. I checked and, indeed, Tandem was sold in Jan to Pete Kight (who owns Quivira Vineyards & Winery), and Tandem ceased and became La Follette Winery, named after Greg La Follette, the former owner of Tandem who is now the winemaker of this new venture.

posted Hide Post
The LCBO is easily 3 times more expensive than other places not in Ontario. I can get a 60oz for $20 in teh U.S. when it costs me $70 in Ontario.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the boards, jackwilly.

posted Hide Post
Not a price alert but there's a new batch on VSO and the Gigondas looks like a screamer of a wine. The 2007 is going for $50+ on wine searcher and a CT avg of $41. 2005 to 2007 vintages have received on avg 92 points from IWC and almost identical scores from JM/WS. Given the apparent successful 2009 vintage in Rhone, I grabbed a bunch.

Posts: 1661 | Location: Toronto, ON | Registered: Apr 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up -- Just grabbed 3 Smile

Posts: 1292 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinToronto:

Smack

Posts: 1636 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
quote:
Originally posted by VinToronto:

Smack

What's wrong with welcoming jackwilly to the boards? I enjoyed his thoughtful, well-reasoned and penetrating insight into the current state of beverage alcohol pricing in Ontario.
Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Found the Tandem Van Der Kamp at Bayview Village store in the 20% off bin. Grabbed a few for $24. I think there may be 2-3 bottles left in the bin.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stevey:
Found the Tandem Van Der Kamp at Bayview Village store in the 20% off bin. Grabbed a few for $24. I think there may be 2-3 bottles left in the bin.

A good example of a one-store delist. I'd help empty that bin but Bayview Village is too far to save $6 on a bottle. There are 10 bottles left at the Woodchester store, but they're still full price. I was unable to convince Nicos to discount them. Yet.

posted Hide Post
Something I thought a few of you might be interested in. Yesterday the NV Le Mesnil Blanc de Blancs Brut, Grand Cru went on sale for $42.55 LCBO wide, down about $10. If you follow David Lawrason or John Szabo they each gave it a 93, stating great value at it's original $53 price tag. I thought I'd pass along the word now that I've stocked up myself. 368 left in the province, happy hunting.

http://thewinenerds.ca/

Posts: 702 | Location: Toronto, Ontario (Etobicoke) | Registered: Oct 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Canuck:
Something I thought a few of you might be interested in. Yesterday the NV Le Mesnil Blanc de Blancs Brut, Grand Cru went on sale for $42.55 LCBO wide, down about $10. If you follow David Lawrason or John Szabo they each gave it a 93, stating great value at it's original $53 price tag. I thought I'd pass along the word now that I've stocked up myself. 368 left in the province, happy hunting.

One less in the province after yesterday. Smile

Posts: 581 | Location: Prescott, Ontario | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Good one!

Posts: 5117 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I picked up a couple of bottles of this when it was released, and popped one open this past weekend after I noticed that it would be going on sale. I don't have detailed reflections on it as company was over at the time, but wouldn't say it was quite at the 93-point level. My impression was that it couldn't decide whether to be powerful or whether to be truly elegant/delicate. That said, it is nice bubbly: I'd put it at 91 points, and I've bought 2 more bottles at the new price.

Posts: 87 | Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, @Horton, for the TN.

I'm on the fence, mostly because I don't know the house and don't tend to like blanc de blancs as much as blends. You've held me stay on the fence and save some cash!

Posts: 756 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Mar 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The LCBO will be running a chain wide sale starting July 14th.
Linky
Nothing too exciting to me, but an FYI for those interested:
TANDEM VAN DER KAMP PINOT NOIR 2006 - $23.95

http://thewinenerds.ca/

Posts: 702 | Location: Toronto, Ontario (Etobicoke) | Registered: Oct 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's a pretty crappy sale.

Posts: 10878 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Wine Canuck, this is a very helpful heads up.

Can anyone comment on the Quebrada Cab from Chile? Looks like an interesting buy at $30.

Looking at the Bordeaux, the '06 Pichon Longueville Lalande on sale from $189 to $149. You can get this right now at PJ Wines for $115 US! Same with the '05 Lynsolence where the "sale" price of $89 (from $115) is still $30 above what you can get in the US. Just shows how ridiculously overpriced these wines were to begin with.

Also like how the Hagafen Zin is only $2 off from $30 to $28. Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Horton:
quote:

I picked up a couple of bottles of this when it was released, and popped one open this past weekend after I noticed that it would be going on sale. I don't have detailed reflections on it as company was over at the time, but wouldn't say it was quite at the 93-point level. My impression was that it couldn't decide whether to be powerful or whether to be truly elegant/delicate. That said, it is nice bubbly: I'd put it at 91 points, and I've bought 2 more bottles at the new price.

Thanks........I grabbed three as well.

Posts: 1134 | Registered: Apr 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The LCBO will be running a chain wide sale starting July 14th.

Thanks for the heads up on the Tandem.

The Sadie Family Columella 2007 looks interesting. Anybody ever tried it or know anything about it?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stevey:

Can anyone comment on the Quebrada Cab from Chile? Looks like an interesting buy at $30.

I've had several vintages and think this is one of the most unique, in a good way, cabs I've ever had. I defy you to try it blind and guess that it's a South American cab. Frankly I've bought it at a higher price and thought it a good QPR.

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 10661 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post