WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    LCBO Price Alert
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 27
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
LCBO Price Alert
 Login/Join 
Member
posted
Given the popularity of the many LCBO-bashing threads that criticise them for charging too much and not letting us have enough high rating-point wines, I thought its time to stop sawing that same old log and take a different road.

So here's my first price alert...

2003 Azelia Barolo has been reduced from $53 to $42

It may not be your very best Barolo, but a good buy at the new price. Some stores don't seem to realise this has happened and their shelf stickers still reflect the original price, but you will get the lower price when you go to cash out.
 
Posts: 4984 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Good find. Also a decent buy is the '03 Scavino (normale) Barolo has also been on sale for a while at $45 from about $55.

On using the term "LCBO bashing", I'm not sure that's a fair thing to say. Reporting that Bordeaux costing $100 at LCBO is badly priced when it costs $60 elsewhere is not "bashing" but simply stating a fact.

I remember another "inventory clearance" sale thread which recommended the Torbreck Struie at $45 sale prices as a good buy. Also, with every Vintages Release thread are posts recommending good value wines. I remember one thread a while ago recommending the Madrigal from California for $20 when the same costs $35 in the US. Whether good bargains or bad deals, people here report the facts.

It's just that it's much more the case that prices are higher at LCBO that it appears is "bashing"; but instead, good or bad, it's calling a spade a spade.
 
Posts: 1239 | Registered: Oct 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Stevey - I wasn't objecting to the LCBO-bashing. It's well-deserved, and I generally share in the sentiments expressed. And I am a definite Libertarian-minded supporter of Slan's opinion that the government should get the **** out of the beverage business and other places it doesn't belong.

I do, however, think that we could use a thread that focuses on any opportunities that can be found at the LCBO for a good buy.

P.S. - Good point about the 03 Scavino. I had forgotten about that one.
 
Posts: 4984 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
Given the popularity of the many LCBO-bashing threads that criticise them for charging too much and not letting us have enough high rating-point wines, I thought its time to stop sawing that same old log and take a different road.

So here's my first price alert...

2003 Azelia Barolo has been reduced from $53 to $42

It may not be your very best Barolo, but a good buy at the new price. Some stores don't seem to realise this has happened and their shelf stickers still reflect the original price, but you will get the lower price when you go to cash out.


Thanks for the heads up, good idea for a thread BTW.
The LCBO has this 90-91 point Barolo on sale as well, SEGHESIO BAROLO VIGNETO LA VILLA 2003
Was $55 now $43.00 Smile
 
Posts: 106 | Location: London, ON | Registered: Sep 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
2003 Italians aren't selling. HELLO! Roll Eyes


-----------------------
I'm a lover not a fighter
aka:Rock&RollCowboy
 
Posts: 593 | Registered: Mar 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I'm an unabashed basher. Big Grin
 
Posts: 3973 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Azelia Barolo

Review Wine-Searcher Pro and you'll find $42 is a good, not exceptional price. As stated before, 2003 Italians are not selling well.
 
Posts: 314 | Location: Huntington Beach, CA, USA | Registered: Jun 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slan:
I'm an unabashed basher. Big Grin
So I've heard - many times. Smile
 
Posts: 4984 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a few more...picked up a few over the weekend.

2004 Chapoutier La Sizeranne $68.
1996 Royal Tokaji Aszu Nyulaszo 6 Puttonyos $80

Not bad at all. I was sorely tempted to pick up more than I could carry of the Chapoutier.
 
Posts: 319 | Location: MA, USA | Registered: Nov 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
And since our out-of-town friends are dumping on 2003 Barolo, it reminds me that one of the more enjoyable wines I've had recently is...

2003 Corino Barolo @ $43

It was released through the in-store discovery program on March 15 and there's still some of it around. It's a very nicely blended (not single vineyard) Barolo for a decent price.
 
Posts: 4984 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
2006, M. Chapoutier, Invitare, Condrieu, $46.90.

Just picked up a half case of this. Nearly impossible to find Condrieu this good for this price.


Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.
 
Posts: 2274 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
Stevey - I wasn't objecting to the LCBO-bashing. It's well-deserved, and I generally share in the sentiments expressed. And I am a definite Libertarian-minded supporter of Slan's opinion that the government should get the **** out of the beverage business and other places it doesn't belong.


No sweat, agree that this would be a great thread to start because good deals are relatively rare at LCBO!

Here's another one of a very limited nature... was just at Summerhill after lunch today and see two bottles of '05 Beaucastel Hommage in the coolers. Probably a return from the May Classics. The $325 asking is a very good price but alas too rich for my blood and thus still there begging to be picked up.
 
Posts: 1239 | Registered: Oct 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stevey:
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
Stevey - I wasn't objecting to the LCBO-bashing. It's well-deserved, and I generally share in the sentiments expressed. And I am a definite Libertarian-minded supporter of Slan's opinion that the government should get the **** out of the beverage business and other places it doesn't belong.


No sweat, agree that this would be a great thread to start because good deals are relatively rare at LCBO!

Here's another one of a very limited nature... was just at Summerhill after lunch today and see two bottles of '05 Beaucastel Hommage in the coolers. Probably a return from the May Classics. The $325 asking is a very good price but alas too rich for my blood and thus still there begging to be picked up.


They were just available at SAQ for $249 - might still be available
 
Posts: 2245 | Location: Brights Grove Ontario | Registered: Jun 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theweb:
They were just available at SAQ for $249 - might still be available


Wait a minute... wasn't this suppose to be an bash-free LCBO zone? ;-)

Seriously though $249 is a great price for this wine! It's selling $400+ in many places in the US.
 
Posts: 1239 | Registered: Oct 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I just bought a bottle of Heartland Director's Cut Shiraz for $27, reduced from $32. The first time I tried this wine I loved it, the second time, not so much. This third time should tell me if I stock up or not.
 
Posts: 257 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Mar 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Another good one is the 2002 Langoa Barton on sale for a while now at $50. Not sure why it's not being picked up faster at this price point but it's one of the extremely rare cases where a Bordeaux is priced well at LCBO.
 
Posts: 1239 | Registered: Oct 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by screwtop:
I just bought a bottle of Heartland Director's Cut Shiraz for $27, reduced from $32. The first time I tried this wine I loved it, the second time, not so much. This third time should tell me if I stock up or not.
$27 sounds like a very good price for that wine. I bought one bottle of the current release (@$32) and liked it as much as I did a couple of years ago. Do let us know how it went with the third bottle.
 
Posts: 4984 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
My wife and I liked the third bottle alot. So I'm going back for more today.
 
Posts: 257 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Mar 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I already own quite a few of these that have been reduced in price, so I guess I'll have to fish out those receipts. Should be good for at least one bottle that will effectively be free Cool


-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!
 
Posts: 10533 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
the 1996 Lanessan should be worth checking out for $35. A 12 year old Bordeaux with some legs at a decent price.
 
Posts: 2245 | Location: Brights Grove Ontario | Registered: Jun 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stevey:
Another good one is the 2002 Langoa Barton on sale for a while now at $50. Not sure why it's not being picked up faster at this price point but it's one of the extremely rare cases where a Bordeaux is priced well at LCBO.
I noticed today that the $50 price for 02 Langoa-Barton is a price reduction (from ~$60). That's likely because nobody is buying wines from that vintage. I also noticed that the 04 is $60. So would you say that the 02 is a better value? (Has anyone tasted them?)
 
Posts: 4984 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hide Post

quote:
the 1996 Lanessan should be worth checking out for $35. A 12 year old Bordeaux with some legs at a decent price.

The '96 Lanessan is a decent wine for a decent price. The '96 Duhart-Milon is an exceptional wine for a decent price (if you can find it).


Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
Posts: 5437 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
Hide Post

quote:
the 1996 Lanessan should be worth checking out for $35. A 12 year old Bordeaux with some legs at a decent price.

The '96 Lanessan is a decent wine for a decent price. The '96 Duhart-Milon is an exceptional wine for a decent price (if you can find it).


maybe so, but I was referring to something fairly readily available on LCBO shelves today
 
Posts: 2245 | Location: Brights Grove Ontario | Registered: Jun 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
I noticed today that the $50 price for 02 Langoa-Barton is a price reduction (from ~$60). That's likely because nobody is buying wines from that vintage. I also noticed that the 04 is $60. So would you say that the 02 is a better value? (Has anyone tasted them?)


2002 was a good (not great) year and drinking window is probably at least 5 years away. For frame of reference, I think both the '02 and '04 Langoa Barton were rated 90 by RP.

Many are back filling 2001-2004 in response to high 2005 price. In the context of outrageous LCBO prices for bordeaux, I consider $50 for the Langoa Barton to be in the good value window but not $60.
 
Posts: 1239 | Registered: Oct 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Front street store Ch Pipeau Magnums 2000 for $99 and 2003 for $89. Not cheap but at least available in large quantities.

Can't believe how quickly the Royal Tokaji's and all the Krachers went from the Front street store....
 
Posts: 319 | Location: MA, USA | Registered: Nov 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4 ... 27 
 

WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    LCBO Price Alert

© Wine Spectator 2013