WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Why am I getting so hammered on so little wine?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why am I getting so hammered on so little wine?
 Login/Join 
posted
I haven't been able to drink much, due to surgery 7 weeks ago. Now, I have cut waaaay back on my pain meds and don't take any on a day that I plan on indulging in a glass of wine or two. I'm up and walking about pretty good now, even though I have to rest several times a day.
I've discovered that I start feeling a little fuzzy after about 1/4 of a glass and really feel it at the 1/2 glass mark. Certainly by the 3/4 glass mark I ask my husband to pour out the balance of whatever is in my glass. I've learned to pour much smaller glasses.
If I was 21, I'd relish the cheap buzz, but at my (ahem) more mature age, I find it disconcerting.
Do you think this is due to the residual pain meds in my system, the fact that I haven't been drinking since the surgery, or that I'm just not as mobile as I was before the surgery, therefore not burning it off as quickly?
p.s. I'm at the 1/2 glass point now and you have no idea how many times I've had to retype this. Crazy

Posts: 486 | Location: Sierra Nevada mountains | Registered: Nov 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless you're extremely tiny, I'd guess there is something in your system potentiating the alcohol. Are you taking any medication at all? You might want to discuss this with your physician.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36831 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many medications affect liver function, affecting intoxication effects. But I've always found that simple consumption patters can quickly and dramatically affect tolerance too, particularly when you are very used to your "normal" tolerance.

Posts: 477 | Registered: Mar 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now, I have cut waaaay back on my pain meds and don't take any on a day that I plan on indulging in a glass of wine or two. I'm up and walking about pretty good now, even though I have to rest several times a day.

Way back but not entirely? So you're still on some pain meds? And you're still weak enough that you have to rest several times a day?

No idea what was wrong but it sounds like you aren't really 100%. Just like Board-o said, it's worth a discussion with your doctors. In fact, you might want to talk to your doctor about whether you should be having any wine at all. But it seems like there's a pretty good clue to the answer in your question itself.

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery though!

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2622 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
You might want to discuss this with your physician.

+1.

PH

Posts: 15115 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+2. I would stop the wine until discussing with the doctor.

Posts: 6456 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let us know what it is.

Posts: 1944 | Location: Ontario | Registered: Jul 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's hard to tell, not knowing what kind of surgery you had, what medications you are on (pain meds and others), what your age is, other health issues, if any, etc., etc.

I will say this. Your body may have been/probably was "adjusted" to your pre-surgery drinking patterns--the key enzymes in your liver were revved up to match your intake. After your surgery, assuming your alcohol intake stopped, those enzymes returned to a low level, while others in your liver were probably revved up to accommodate the pain medications, and any other medications you may be taking. The interactions of drugs, including EtOH, can be quite complex. Furthermore, if you have been inactive for a while, the muscle loss and change in your metabolism will also have an effect.

Bottom line, as above, you should consult with your physician. I would recommend to NOT mix pain killers and alcohol, and the sooner you can get back to "normal" activity levels, with exercise and proper diet, the better.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3116 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i know that codeine and booze always goes well together.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12124 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a spinal fusion on my lower back 7 weeks ago. I'm 54, in good health, only other med is Synthroid for a low thyroid. This is the first time in my life I've been in a hospital for myself.
The Dr. put me on Norco 1-2 tablets every 4 hours or as needed. I am down to 1/2 a tablet 3 times a day, but don't take any if I am going to have a glass of wine that evening. If I'm feeling good, sometimes I'll just take a half pill all day, or not at all
At my 1 month check up, I asked the Dr. about wine and he told me that a glass or two was fine.
I am up to walking 2 times a day for 20 mintues each time, without the walker. The walking is done inside my house so that I don't have to deal with the hills that I live in or any stairs. It's getting pretty boring walking the same loop from bedroom, down hallway, through dining room, living room, kitchen and back to the bedroom. Thus the need for a glass now and again.
I go back to see the Dr. in a week, so will follow up with him then.
I think the question I asked last night was a bit of PWI Roll Eyes but appreciate any input.

Posts: 486 | Location: Sierra Nevada mountains | Registered: Nov 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get well soon! Smile

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2944 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, definitely best wishes in getting well enough to drinking more wine.

FWIW, I always get hammered after a small glass of g-man's port!

Posts: 5135 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
FWIW, I always get hammered after a small glass of g-man's port!

quote:
Originally posted by g-man

Well, this might explain it. Cool

And yes, get well soon justme. Keep us posted on what you find out.

PH

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PurpleHaze,

Posts: 15115 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shiraz will do that to you. Get well soon.

99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.

Posts: 7154 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had spinal fusion in 2008. It seems like since then my tolerance for alcohol is much lower. But I blame age.

I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

Posts: 606 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Mar 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another thought. I do an alcohol fast every year for at least a week or two. When I start drinking again, I'm an extremely cheap drunk.

PH

posted Hide Post
It's funny I taste more wine at work since I do the wine list than I do at home. I definately try to not get buzzed at work but I have a few times when three or four wine reps come in on the same day.

Posts: 9442 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justme:
I had a spinal fusion on my lower back 7 weeks ago.

Further motivation do my stretching and such to avoid further degradation in my lower back. Here's to a speedy recovery, justme!

Posts: 2949 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: Nov 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justme:I am down to 1/2 a tablet 3 times a day, but don't take any if I am going to have a glass of wine that evening.

Skipping a couple doses doesn't mean the drug is out of your system. The regime is to keep the level of a drug in your system within a certain range. So, just because it's below that range and isn't so effective with the pain doesn't mean it won't be effective at magnifying your reaction to alcohol or worse.

Posts: 1779 | Location: Mountain View, CA | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's a good point. And think about how much you can save on wine - half the consumption for twice the effect!

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2622 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yhn:
quote:
Originally posted by justme:I am down to 1/2 a tablet 3 times a day, but don't take any if I am going to have a glass of wine that evening.

Skipping a couple doses doesn't mean the drug is out of your system. The regime is to keep the level of a drug in your system within a certain range. So, just because it's below that range and isn't so effective with the pain doesn't mean it won't be effective at magnifying your reaction to alcohol or worse.

Norco is not a time-release analgesic. The amount if time justme has been leaving between the meds and drinking eliminates a compounding/potentiating effect for most metabolisms.

PH

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
quote:

Norco is not a time-release analgesic. The amount if time justme has been leaving between the meds and drinking eliminates a compounding/potentiating effect for most metabolisms.

PH

I'm not talking about time release. Are you qualified to comment with certainty how long this drug stays in the system? I'm not. Your post comes across as giving him the okay to continue ignoring obvious warning signs instead of consulting a doctor.

Posts: 1779 | Location: Mountain View, CA | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your post comes across as giving him the okay to continue ignoring obvious warning signs instead of consulting a doctor.

If you'd bothered to read my earlier post to her you'd find out this is not the case at all. I reinforced Board-O's initial recommendation that she consult with her physician.

If you'd read her subsequent post, you might have seen that her physician also okayed wine consumption.

Hydrocodone clears the system very quicky and has a half life of just under 4 hours in people with a normal metabolism.

PH

posted Hide Post
PH, You may have something there. Prior to surgery, I usually had 2 glasses of wine to cut the pain. So going without a drop for over 6 weeks may have reset my Buzz-O-Meter.

SD-Wineaux, I practiced Yoga for many years prior to surgery. The Dr. told me that the best thing to do for my back was to walk, walk, walk, but I'm looking forward to getting back to Yoga eventually.

YHN, don't worry about the gender error. You have no idea how many times I've been told I have big balls. Big Grin

And to everyone else, thank you for your well wishes. I feel so much better now than I did before the surgery and am looking forward to hiking these beautiful mountains next season!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justme:

And to everyone else, thank you for your well wishes. I feel so much better now than I did before the surgery and am looking forward to hiking these beautiful mountains next season!

I just visited your mountains this past summer. The chance to hike them again would certainly motivate me! Good luck.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3116 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post