WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Why am I getting so hammered on so little wine?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why am I getting so hammered on so little wine?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by yhn:
Your post comes across as giving him the okay to continue ignoring obvious warning signs instead of consulting a doctor.

If you'd bothered to read my earlier post to her you'd find out this is not the case at all. I reinforced Board-O's initial recommendation that she consult with her physician.

If you'd read her subsequent post, you might have seen that her physician also okayed wine consumption.

Hydrocodone clears the system very quicky and has a half life of just under 4 hours in people with a normal metabolism.

PH

The doc okayed it and *then* she got a potentially serious warning sign.

Let's see... With a 4 hour half-life and a dose prescribed for about once every 8 hours, and with the effectiveness window I stated, that means 8 hours after the last dose is still above the minimal effective level. So, 16 hours after the last dose is above 1/4 the minimal effective level. So it's not exactly insignificant, is it? And it's clearly not a reaction the doctor anticipated, is it? Whatever the factors causing her reaction, she shouldn't be ignoring these warning signs and drinking away before seeing her doctor again.

Btw, there's a "justme" elsewhere who is a guy. Sorry I didn't re-read the older posts after seeing that irresponsible one.

Posts: 1766 | Location: Mountain View, CA | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People: it's really quite simple. Alcohol and narcotics just don't mix well. Cut out the booze until you've totally recovered and discontinued your analgesics. Then, and only then, slowly get back into wine.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5582 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry I didn't re-read the older posts after seeing that irresponsible one.

Context is important, yhn... so perhaps you should read an entire thread before making claims of irresponsibility. That said, apparently you're still having reading comprehension problems in addition to an inability to do simple mathmatics.

The only comment I made specific to justme's situation was that she consult her doctor. Period. The rest of my posts in relation to this subject had to do with the likelihood of drug interactions in people with normal metabolisms. I was not making, and would never make medical recommendations for anyone.

As far as your math skills are concerned, let me break it down for you. The half-life of a drug has nothing to do with the dosage interval. It has to do with the breakdown of the drug in the system after last ingestion. Each half-life interval reduces the percentage of the original dose by half. Let's assume for the sake of argument, that justme's last dose was at 9PM in the evening prior to her planning on drinking. Again, for the sake of argument let's assume that she waits until the traditional drinking lamp is lit, say 5PM the following day. The percentage of the original dose in her system at that point would be approximately 3.25% of the original dosage. Given the standard 5/325 content of the basic Norco caplet and that justme was down to a 1/2 pill dosage at the time, that would leave 80 micrograms of hydrocodone in her system at the time of her having her first sip of wine.

80 micrograms of hydrocodone and an ounce or two of wine is HIGHLY unlikely to produce the type of cognitive impairment that she described without other significant factors being involved. That is all.

PH

Posts: 14938 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

80 micrograms of hydrocodone and an ounce or two of wine is HIGHLY unlikely to produce the type of cognitive impairment that she described without other significant factors being involved. That is all.

PH

i will say that 50 milligrams and half a bottle of port will certainly destroy most types of cognitive abilities.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11614 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:

PH

i will say that 50 milligrams and half a bottle of port will certainly destroy most types of cognitive abilities.

Uh....that would likely kill you. Or certainly make you very, very ill..... Ack

PH

Posts: 14938 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only comment I made specific to justme's situation was that she consult her doctor. Period. The rest of my posts in relation to this subject had to do with the likelihood of drug interactions in people with normal metabolisms. I was not making, and would never make medical recommendations for anyone.

quote:
The amount if time justme has been leaving between the meds and drinking eliminates a compounding/potentiating effect for most metabolisms.

The only reason I wasted my time posting is because she could infer that it was okay to keep drinking before seeing her doctor.

You're still arguing with your silly "I am right, dammit!" math exercise that it's okay for her to drink because you base your math on her having a normal metabolism. You're missing the forest for the trees. If you open a door a little crack for someone looking for an excuse it can be just too tempting to resist. That, is irresponsible.

Posts: 1766 | Location: Mountain View, CA | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You're still arguing with your silly "I am right, dammit!" math exercise that it's okay for her to drink....

Please cite a post of mine where I specifically argued that it was OK for justme to drink. You won't be able to, because I DIDN'T!!! Now go cure some olives or something.... Roll Eyes

PH

posted Hide Post
quote:
LOL
Finally some hard data. We know we can trust it because we know it's from first-hand experience! No BS rumors or hearsay or something found on the internet.

justme - make sure to avoid 50mg and 1/2 a bottle of Port.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2564 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Please cite a post of mine where I specifically argued that it was OK for justme to drink.
PH

Well, now you're making me very nervous! I cannot cite a single post of yours where you specifically argued that it is OK for me to drink. I'm not sure exactly what the rules are, but until I read that you approve, I am going to seriously consider whether or not to discontinue my love affair with wine.

God, another life-changing moment on the internet for me! How many more can there possibly be??

Posts: 8296 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
quote:

Please cite a post of mine where I specifically argued that it was OK for justme to drink.
PH

Well, now you're making me very nervous! I cannot cite a single post of yours where you specifically argued that it is OK for me to drink. I'm not sure exactly what the rules are, but until I read that you approve, I am going to seriously consider whether or not to discontinue my love affair with wine.

God, another life-changing moment on the internet for me! How many more can there possibly be??

Drink to your heart's content, Seaquam.

I am PurpleHaze, and I approve of this message.

Banana

PH

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
quote:

PH

Drink to your heart's content, Seaquam.

I am PurpleHaze, and I approve of this message.

Banana

PH

Ah, bless you, my friend. I can sleep again. Smile

Cheers!

Posts: 8296 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everyone can relax. I'm not having a drop until after I see my Dr. which is Monday, thankfully.

I'm sure part of my problem is that since the surgery, I eat a very light lunch. Usually some grapes, cheese & crackers. So when I have a glass with dinner, I'm basically drinking on an empty stomach.

I'm just suprised at how hard the wine hits me because I often eat a very light lunch and haven't had the same reaction.

I'll ask my Dr. what he thinks and will report back.

Posts: 486 | Location: Sierra Nevada mountains | Registered: Nov 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
i know that codeine and booze always goes well together.

Narcotics most certainly potentiate the effects of alcohol. Consider that with alcohol you typically have a "loading dose" effect, or a saturation point that is more dependent on your weight than anything. If your weight didn't change than i would put the blame on the pain meds. I've heard of the same thing from many people....it's normal. Just be careful.

Posts: 2204 | Location: Chicago Suburbs | Registered: Oct 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm back from my Dr. appointment. He told me that several factors may have contributed to my low tolerance- I've lost about 13 lbs since surgery, have not been eating as I usually do and am not nearly as active.

He was suprised at how easily I'm affected by such a small amount. I was told that if I don't take any meds on the day that I plan to drink, it is ok to have a glass or less of wine, which is all I realy care for at this point. As I begin to return to a more regular diet and activity level, things should stabilize.

He said that there were no concern of having an overdose, more of a concern that I would be unstable walking and may injure my back by stepping wrong or making a movement that I'm not ready for yet.

The great news is that I'm healing quickly and the daily walking I've been doing has helped tremendously! I get to start weaning off the back brace, get to start Physical Therapy and am cleared for travel.

Now to figure out if we want to go to Carmel or Laguna Beach...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: justme,

Posts: 486 | Location: Sierra Nevada mountains | Registered: Nov 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justme:
.... I've lost about 13 lbs since surgery

The hell with diet and exercise. I needs me some surgery!!

Glad to hear you're on the mend, justme. Love Carmel, but that's justme... Wink

PH

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The only reason I wasted my time posting is because she could infer that it was okay to keep drinking before seeing her doctor.

You're still arguing with your silly "I am right, dammit!" math exercise that it's okay for her to drink because you base your math on her having a normal metabolism. You're missing the forest for the trees. If you open a door a little crack for someone looking for an excuse it can be just too tempting to resist. That, is irresponsible.

Please cite a post of mine where I specifically argued that it was OK for justme to drink. You won't be able to, because I DIDN'T!!! Now go cure some olives or something.... Roll Eyes

PH

There you go again, Mr. Strawman.